Hard side boat blind

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Hard side boat blind

Postby yellowbill » Mon May 15, 2017 12:05 pm

Anyone have a hard sided blind on there boat? Thinking about putting one on my 16ft deep V. Wondering how people like them.
yellowbill
hunter

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: Hard side boat blind

Postby Bunker » Wed May 24, 2017 10:28 pm

Why hard sided?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bunker
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Thu May 25, 2017 2:58 pm

A friend of mine that guided for sea ducks had a pretty slick plywood blind on his Caroline skiff. Fold out panel on the bow and swinging panels at the stern for putting out and pulling decoys. The 4 foot height was nice to sit behind, especially in the cold winds. No grass on it for sea ducks, just drab paint. The weight was not an issue on the Carolina, could be on an aluminum or smaller craft.
My doctor said drinking heavily can lead to a slow death. I said good, I'm not in any hurry.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Bullfrog26692 » Thu May 25, 2017 6:34 pm

I have a friend who broke his neck on a hard side blind. Going to his spot, he hit a ghost blind and his head smashed into a crossmember of the blind. He is very safe, but chit happens sometimes. Needless to say, that blind was taken off immediately. While this scenario is not likely, it's something to consider. If you're dead set on a hard side blind, I'd make sure the design doesn't leave your crew open to unsuspected mishaps. By the way, he recovered and is still gun'n. :thumbsup:
gooosehunter wrote:I dont always shoot ducks, but when I do, it's dos duckies.
Bullfrog26692
hunter

Postby Mike the Fox » Fri May 26, 2017 5:15 pm

What's a ghost blind?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mike the Fox
hunter

Postby Bullfrog26692 » Sat May 27, 2017 7:49 am

Mike the Fox wrote:What's a ghost blind?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A ghost blind refers to an old abandoned blind that has been taken out by a storm or ice. The poles are broken off just below the water line or barely sticking out when the water is low. Some have been there for decades. When you lose a blind that is impossible to fix, people just erect another one 20 yards away. The entire backwaters of the Chesapeake Bay are littered in them. In the Back Bay of Virginia Beach every bit of water has a blind every 500 yards. You can trace the origin of a licensed blind location all the way back to the market hunting days.
gooosehunter wrote:I dont always shoot ducks, but when I do, it's dos duckies.
Bullfrog26692
hunter

Postby decoycarver » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:05 pm

I was in a ghost blind on DEC morn when my high school coach and my high school buddy set decoys-it was my turn to stand watch for early ducks--well that blind had broken free some time before-it was supposed to be a 4 post solid blind-we thought it was an anchored floating blind in o dark hundred-needless to say it flipped over on me--naw the water was a balmy 35-40 degrees-I had over a 20 mile boat ride back to coaches car !!--I felt like the Tinman when we got there-an hour later-dried and warm we went back to get buddy he hunted an island until we cam back and finished the hunt--lake champlain gets mighty cold in DEC !!--hunting in NY, VT I have always hunted from hard sided boat and floating, and post blinds-I prefer them over 43 seasons--I've in almost everything ever invented !!
decoycarver
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting