Duck Hunting Forum banner

Duck blind info

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ducklover 
#1 ·
I just stumbled across this site, it's great. I am interested in trying some sea duck hunting, it seems the inland duck hunting in southern maine is tough- hard to find a place where there isn't a new house in your line of fire.
For sea duck hunting, what should I use for camo for my boat- 18 ft alaskan? Any cheap alternatives?

#2 ·
:welcome: That boat is great for seaducks. To hunt from it, alll you need to do is put some "curtains" on the sides. Check out pretty much any Maine sea duck guide's website, and you'll see the rig. There are lots of ways to get the effect on the cheap - conduit frame, scissor-type blind - and lots of options for fabric. If you find something heavy duty that you can use, but you don't like the pattern/color - paint the fabric however you want.

#3 ·
Although I hunt from a layout (MLB) or my Chesapeake, if offshore a bit or in the tender I do not bother with a blind......just keep the motion to a minimum......I have a floor in the tender and we just sit on the floor of the boat.......olive drab.......if using the spray shield/cuddy then we can sit on the bench seats and shoot out over the motor. If you do not want to camo paint the boat, a camo netting or burlap will work. Ever wonder why you get buzzed by eiders when bass fishing???? They are not all that leary of a white boat!!!!!

#4 ·
Thanks for the ideas. I guess I'll try a simple covering for now, and see how it goes. I was tooling around out by falmouth foreside today and saw a good amount of quackers out there.
I have never hunted sea ducks. do you anchor by the ledges/islands or do you pull right up on shore?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.