Duck Hunting Forum banner

sea duck tactics

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  BLACKDUCK 
#1 ·
I am going to try for some sea duck hunting this year for the first time. I have read that you can just anchor by some island or ledge and set out decoys. Do you have to be right up on the rocks or can you anchor just off them? Any advice about sea ducks is appreciated.

#2 ·
setting up off an island is IMHO the best way to go that way you don't have to move with the tide.. there are several ways to set a rig.

1st would be to use 2 danfourth anchors..dropping one then setting appx 18 decoys on the anchor line with long line clips. then leaving a space for the boat to attach fore and aft with 2 loops tied in the line...then run out another 18 decoys on the back end and drop and set the second anchor..go back and hook your boat in the middle ... you can also set decoys on either side on long line clips as I do...putting about 18 decoys outside your anchor line....this would be a good starting point....when I set for sea ducks I put out about 6 dozen eider anhd another dozen or so Scoter decoys....using this method....

the other way is to put all decoys out on long line with none attached to the anchor line...either way works ..you just need to try it a couple of ways to find out which way is best...as far as where to set I like to set up on a flight path or on a spot where that hold up to feed.....

baggedout

#3 ·
The style of gunning eiders that bagged out mentioned is fine. We prefer gunning on the ledges. There are advantages and disadvantages to both styles if you stop and think about it. But try both and you be the judge. As always make sure you have a good boat and keep a close eye on the weather, this is big water and things can get ugly fast. Good luck on your eider hunts... Once you do it you will be hooked for life.

#5 ·
ducklover,

We started out hunting on the ocean in nothing more than a canoe and a couple paddles. The important part to remember is that we hunted in bays and never more than a couple minutes paddle to shore. We were also incredible concious of the weather and made for home the second things turned the slight bit windy.

If you do your scouting right it can be a great time. . . I remember one day shooting 11 ducks on the ocean in Dec. with only the canoe. HOWEVER, if you are not incredibly careful you can get yourself in a situation where you don't return home. Just keep things in perspective and remeber that no hunting trip is worth dying over. . .

Ledges or boat. . . last year before my brothers BIG purchase we hunted on ledges and stashed my 12 footer. Was a BLAST. . . stable shooting platform, dry and good gunnin as you were almost level with the birds. HOWEVER, with that said it does limit your options and moving the decoys with the tide is a huge pain in the . . . well you know. . . .

Duck Mann

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.