Duck Hunting Forum banner

My boy's First Hunt

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  DUKHTR 
#1 ·
I have a spot I normally jump hunt and it always has ducks.. but everytime they spook long before I can ever reach them. I go almost everytime I get out with the same results.
I decided last year towards the end of the season that I would change my tactic on this tiny lil pond next to the train rails! This year I would set my boy down first thing in the morning with a few black duck decoys on that lil pond with his Baretta Semi 20 gauge, (kid has a nicer gun than me lol! bratt!)
In this early morning light and slight mist we snuck in to my pond and spooked 4 roosted ducks. I'm a newby and my son and I are learning together and I remember reading that you could spook roosted ducks and if you don't shoot at them they will come back in a short time. Counting on that to be true my son and I spooked out those four ducks and set up the decoys. Did I mention my boy is ten?
We sat on the deeks for 2 and a half hours in the light rain and mist and after a while of sitting my kiddo started the "Duck Prayer" I know you've all done it!! I know I have! "c-mon Ducks" Maybe ten minutes after that we heard the ducks coming in! I've never heard wood duck calls before so I had no idea what was about to fly in but I knew it was ducks.. so I told my boy to get ready.
Within a split second they shot from over the trees and within 2o yards I gave him the go, "take em" Two shots later we had a Drake Woody within ten feet of us and a hen about 20 feet away! The other pair made a sharp turn and I dropped the secong Drake at about 35 yards down the pond!
Man I'm shaking right now trying to type this out! I want you guys to feel the impact this day had on me! More than just a little proud!
We spent the second half of the day scouting and trying to set up for a few jump spots. We saw a few blacks but never got close enough to let the steel fly! but it was a great day.. While we were out jump shooting he said " it's nice to be up front for a change" I let him lead all afternoon. thing is I never noticed he was the front man until he mentioned it! it never mattered to me!

See less See more
#2 ·
redeyed, :getdown: Congrates on the sons first hunt. I remeber first birds and what a feeling. That feeling has stayed with me my whole life. With out it I would not be a life long waterfowler and a waterfowl guide. Again congrates and rember.... " Keep your head down and your eyes to the sky "..... Lundman

#3 ·
Congratulations on your sons first duck, it is one of the best feelings to be with someone when they take their first bird. :thumbsup: :getdown:

#5 ·
Ok man I'm on to something!! this little pond is a mecca for woodies!! lol man I took a buddy on his firts hunt at the same place this morning and the woodies never stopped coming!! We both got our limit in a reasonable amount of time and my friends first hunt was as productive as my boys!!
But it gets better! not only did I make a duck freak out of one of my favorite people... after our morning hunt and some discusion about what the ducks like in different regions of the country, I told him about flooded timber hunting in the south, He said he knew of a place behind a friends house that was very swampy with a beaver dam that flooded out a basin about 2 acres in size...all dead timber he found it this past winter while cross country skiing. We scouted it out and intended on a little jump shooting, we spooked more ducks that I can even begin to tell you guys about! we only got one hen mallard because we were closer to the pond that he thought, (winter/fall area = night and day) but its a short walk through the woods and were heading there tomorrow morning!! WOOHOOO!!
I mentioned in this thread earlier about duck habbits and I'm wondering if I'm right or wrong.. is it true that the ducks when spooked will return after a short while?
The way I understand it is spook them, set up the dekes, hide as best as you can and wait for the ducks as they filter back to the pond? that shooting them while amassed will scare the entire flock at once and they will abandon the spot completely? honestly I believe in spooking them and then waiting for the small groups to return a few at a time.

#7 ·
Great find....and that is soooo classic on how to find those gems in the woods!!! Had a spot like that behind my last house (now surrounded by $550k homes), but boy did we have some excellent hunts.....one day we just sat in the canoe after hours and had woodies and teal almost in the boat! Took my first triple on mallards there too.

Anyhow, no matter how much pre-season scouting you do, you never can tell for sure if ducks like what you like. Now's the time to tune in on exactly where they want to be...and if you don't pound them too hard, you have the same place next year!

Yes.....ducks many times return to where they had safe haven......I never shoot at departing birds, especially in the early pm, because odds are very good they will return. When the pairs a singles filter back in, the shooting is much more productive, and when you do leave, the birds will keep coming back into safety for the night. IMO/experience

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.