Duck Hunting Forum banner

Kennebec River

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  duckmann 
#1 ·
I was wondering if any of you guys has had success hunting on the kennebec river by the Hinckley boat launch. I just moved down to waterville and I'm looking for some spots to hunt.

#2 ·
I used to hunt the stretch from the Skowhegan Rt.2 launch down to there. Plenty of places to find ducks (when the water's lower). There are a several nice little coves, mainly on the east side, and a corn field that goes right down to the river on the west side.

There are a couple little wooded/marshy islands on the west side that are close together, but I'd be wary around them. About 5 years ago, a guy who lives near there really started harrassing us. He'd yell stuff at us, and go out in his fishing boat when he'd see us coming to run up ahead and spook birds. He even started baiting the area around the islands with cracked corn, making the area illegal to hunt (he shouted it to us one day). We asked the warden, who said that he's right - even if you didn't put the bait there, or even know it was there. She spoke with the guy about the harrassment, but said it was best to just steer clear of him...

#4 ·
When I lived in Sidney I used to launch my boat off the West river rd. boat launch in Sidney. If you motor down stream from the launch a ways you will see a stream running in on the right hand side. I used to set-up there and encounter fairly good shooting. One late afternoon I decided to hit this spot and even saw an Eider!

If you hit this spot just be mindful of the obstructions and the current.

DuckMann

#5 ·
RedDog said:
About 5 years ago, a guy who lives near there really started harrassing us. He'd yell stuff at us, and go out in his fishing boat when he'd see us coming to run up ahead and spook birds. He even started baiting the area around the islands with cracked corn, making the area illegal to hunt (he shouted it to us one day). We asked the warden, who said that he's right - even if you didn't put the bait there, or even know it was there. She spoke with the guy about the harrassment, but said it was best to just steer clear of him...
Something is wrong here,this guy interfers with your legal hunt, harrasses you,illegally baits a spot and all he gets is a talking to while you are advised to stay away!
Basically the warden rewarded the guy for his actions.He should have been booked for the baiting at least!
Now I know it is something that happened to some one else and I wasn't a party to it.But just turn this around a bit,say it was you harrassing him,baiting around him to screw him up.I'll wager that warden would have busted you but good without a second thought!
Its bad enough we get grief from the self righteous types,but why are we held to a higher standard than them?
Forgive me if I sound a bit cranky,its just that these things all too often happen and hunters usually get the short end of the stick.

Thank you,I feel better now.

#6 ·
Yes, it was disheartening, to say the least. She (the warden) said he could feed the ducks all he wanted. It's only bait if you hunt over it. Needless to say, he wasn't hunting it. But if we did - busted! She could only warn him about the harrassment. I think he was just a nut-case that they didn't really want to deal with. My job moved from Skowhegan to Augusta at the time, so I haven't been back.

#7 ·
Just a follow-up to my last post.

The Sideny boat launch is COMPLETELY underwater! The concrete launch has got to be at least 30 feet long and it is GONE! I would caution everyone planning to hunt the Kennebec to be extremely cautions as I can imagine the current must be fierce!

Duck Mann

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.