Duck Hunting Forum banner

Break from Ducks!?!?

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  duckmann 
#1 ·
Now I know that some of you are going to think I am crazy BUT I took a break from ducks the other morning in an attempt to shoot my first Gobbler with a bow. Though I have been practicing just about every evening I still held little hope that I would ever get a chance to get one in range and then secondly have any chance of hitting it.

Well, let me just say that my day ended with a large gobbler coming in to about 15 yards of my blind and I was able to get off a shot. Unfortunately, it was a little to high (shooting the real thing is a lot more "exciting" and I hit the bird in the gizzard area. . . searched for three hours in thick cover to no avail. Was a little disappointed to have to leave a wounded bird in the field BUT I certainly learned a lot from the experience and what to do and not to do next time.

Was wondering if others on the list who are not only big time duckers BUT also into bow hunting turkeys?

DuckMann (AKA TurkeyMann)

#2 ·
Take a break from ducks!!!!!
My dear sir I do believe you are mad!!You may be stripped of your Moderators license for such talk :eek: .

Okay,maybe not,just kidding :thumbsup:

Too bad you were not able to retrieve that gobbler,would have made a fine addition to the freezer along with the waterfowl.
Nice thing about turkeys is now we don't have to apply for a lottery draw.Can't wait till spring so I can break out the 10 guage :hammering:

#3 ·
I have to say that the Spring Gobbler hunt with the 10g is A LOT easier then trying to hit them with a damn pointed stick! I have had two more GOOD chances to hit a tom since my last post BUT alas I have still come up a little short. All in all it has been a great learning experience and I think I have developed the tools necessary to maybe get one next year. . . of course I do still have until Saturday to possibly get a bird!?!?!

#4 ·
I had almost forgotten to finish my story. . . I never did get that final chance to take a Fall Gobbler with a bow BUT I can't say I didn't give it an honest shot! I learned a lot from this past season it just wasn't my turn to take a bird. . . oh I had a great time and using the bow was a ton of fun. . . and there is always next year!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.