Duck Hunting Forum banner

Skunked!!

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  duckmann 
#1 ·
Went out today and didn't see a single bird :thumbsdown: .Although I saw plenty in puddles along the roads and in hay fields.
There was so much water pouring into the pond I hunt that the outflow couldn't keep up.The water was pushing well back into the trees.At one point I was a good hundred feet into the woods,I looked into the water and I had shiners swimming around me.
I figure the ducks had so many options to use,given the amount of flooded areas, that they are well dispersed.Hopefully this rain will let up this up coming week.

Anyone else get out today and how did you do?

#2 ·
Dogman

I was able to get out to Ruffingham yesterday afternoon and saw maybe 7 birds total . Went out to Ruffingham again this morning and never even saw a bird. Then this afternoon went to the Sabasticook river and the same story no birds and never fired a shot the last two days.

#7 ·
Monday was good for me, wind has kept everything flying. I would have limited out in 10 minutes if I was any sort of shot! Mallards and woodies were the main course for the day. I see birds in flooded fields with geese, hard to get to. Hope everyone has luck.

Sprig

#12 ·
Wardens camp is open to hand carry and has been for the last several years. . . AND if you have a smaller boat with a lightweight trailer you could even squeeze that in.

If you ask the locals they will tell you it is closed BUT if you ask the game wardens they will tell you it is open. . . . HMMMM. . .

#13 ·
DM,
I probably couldnt get my boat in there i will have to launch at town ramp. does any one live in that camp now??? does Oakhurst dairy still own it do u know??? I got your PM i will probably be on the other side of the bay from you .. i will give u a call.. We got that ducks aint movin moon going on out there

#14 ·
BD,

Yeah I am using my small 12 foot porta boat (100 lbs) so we will probably carry it in to the landing. Anything large will probably sink into the mud and get stuck . . . not much fun at 4:00 in the morning.

Yes the camp is now a private residence (Don't know about Oak Hurst??) BUT they do not own to the landing as far as I can tell. When parking you need to be careful to be respectful to the residents on the road which can sometimes be tricky but it is still an easy way to access the Bay.

Would like to hear how you do on the other side make sure to drop me a line. The ducks certainly have been lying low the last week. . . hopefully the bay will be better.

Duck Mann

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.