Susquehanna flats

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Susquehanna flats

Postby dekeburt » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:14 pm

Does anyone hunt the flats? Can you tell me how deep it is there? I've heard of guys body booting, so presumably it isn't more than 3 feet or so... Is it calmer water than the main part of the bay, or is it the same since it's so open? I have a kayak that I'm making a camo cover for and was thinking that I might try hunting out of that since I don't have a boat. But, I don't have any experience there and would like the advice of people familiar with the area.
I scouted a few sites in Days Cove and I think that some of those would definitely be doable in a kayak, but those are pretty protected. I've hunted public blind sites on the Patuxent and some on the lower Potomac, and figure they would all be alright. Looking online, I think the Susquehana further upriver and the Potomac north of DC would also be doable, but I've never tried either of those. Any recommendations?
dekeburt
hunter

Re: Susquehanna flats

Postby roger5828 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:12 am

If you don't know your way around stick to Days Cove. With a kayak you will be able to access alot of the sites guys like me can't get to so they don't get hunted that often. When there is a NW wind Days Cove and the Bird River look like mud flats. The river has a very soft mud bottom so I don't even try to wade it much anymore.

As for the flats the water is very shallow and it has a hard bottom, but it can be very dangerous. You do get wave action, ice flows and you really need to call ahead to find out how much water they are releasing from the dam. You can find the number online. With all that being said it does offer waterfowling if you know what you are doing. I would hire a guide to show you around before paddling out there in your kayak.
roger5828
hunter

Postby Ilovesidebysides » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:22 am

I hunted Days cove twice last week and I use a kayak. I just strap a dozen mallards on the back and paddle my brains out. Like the previous poster said, if there is a northwest wind, the water gets blown out, but a kayak can handle it.
Ilovesidebysides
hunter

Postby bunker215 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:42 am

Like roger said, it can get dicey on the flats if the wind gets up. we started bodybooting and layout boat hunting out there last year, and there have been days in my 19-foot Lowe that have been bad...even days we decided not to go out.

i think i'd keep that yak in the back waters. have you gotten up into the day's cove site that is up in Duck Creek (#6)? You have to have a dog, but a kayak or canoe is bout the only way to get to it. always looked like a pretty good site. #8,9, and 10 on the Gunpowder look nice too.
bunker215
hunter

Postby peter lates etheridge » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:08 pm

many ducks showing there feathers in your part of the world ,nc just gettn there first good frost about a month late ??
peter lates etheridge
hunter

Postby avalanchebetz49 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:42 pm

i have never hunted the flats, would I need a blind site permit to hunt there? I have been hunting the upper Potomac and the eastern shore and I don't need one there. and how are the flats for the first split
2010-2012 tally
111-geese
118-ducks
all public land in maryland
2012-2013 tally
29-ducks
all solo public land in montana
avalanchebetz49
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:45 am

I would recommend you try fishing out there and learn the area, the sand islands at low tide are a nice spot. What kind of kayak? Sit on top or sit in side? A sit in side is never a good option for any rough water. Do you know how to dress for cold water kayaking? To avoid cotton, wear fleece and have a dry top or dry suit?

I would think your cover should be grey, like the water and not brushed like hunting the shore. You can do it, but you must be prepared!!! Know your limits and what you can do. My sit on top is safer on the bay that having a jon boat or even some boats. But being closer to the water I pay attention more. I don't think the rolling waves make me bounce as much as most boats. BUT, getting back out, against a side ot cross wind, paddling in heavy chop can all be very draining and sap your energy.

If you take that kayak out there get a rudder and learn and practice self rescue, don't be a statistic. Too many kayakers have been rescued because they do not know their, or the boats limits. You can take a sit on top in some rough stuff, but you can anchor it. Always know the weather conditions and have an escape plan for storms that come up.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting