Seaducks!?

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

Seaducks!?

Postby flightcancelled » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:41 am

Anyone seeing any seaducks? Are they starting to move in? We have had a couple days of cool weather so I would think they would begin to start showing up. I considered trying to get out this weekend and try to find some but I am on the fence. Is it worth the time or is it too early?
flightcancelled
hunter

Re: Seaducks!?

Postby Hardhead » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:39 am

I would think the next couple of weeks would start bringing them in - the problem I've had in the early part of the season though is a lot of close boat traffic from fall rock fishermen. Depends where you are, and when you go though-
Hardhead
hunter

Postby flightcancelled » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:09 am

Good to know. Maybe the boat traffic would keep the birds moving? I think I will be getting out there and giving it a try in a couple of weeks. Just have to get some time off of work!!
flightcancelled
hunter

Postby Hardhead » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:19 am

I'm going to be giving it a try in a couple of weeks myself. What part of the bay do you hunt? Last year I was seeing some longtail ducks at Solomons starting around mid-November-
Hardhead
hunter

Postby Bay Bob » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:42 am

Buddy on the Eastern Shore (mid bay) has seen a bunch show up last couple days - - -

If I could just get over this Bahamian head and chest rot - - - -
Bay Bob
hunter

Postby flightcancelled » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:09 am

I hunt seaducks mostly on the potomac and bay down by Point Lookout. Where would you hunt long tails at Solomons? You have to physically be in the seaduck zone which is out beyond Drum point correct? I am just so swampped with work and travel that I cant get out there otherwise I would have already been out this year.
flightcancelled
hunter

Postby Hardhead » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:00 pm

Sorry about that - by the Solomons reference I meant the main bay outside the lower Patuxent, should have been more clear. I'm actually going to be heading by boat from Solomons over to Hoopers island tomorrow, so I'll post up a scouting report if I see anything significant.
Hardhead
hunter

Postby flightcancelled » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:22 pm

Awesome, that would be great! Where do you go right outside the mouth of the river? The difficult part is finding an area that isnt 40 feet deep and that the seaducks want to sit on. Right? Im trying to think where anywhere shallow enough that is still 400 yards from shore would be in that area. I work on the base and would love to be able to hunt seaducks right here instead of going all the way down to point lookout.
flightcancelled
hunter

Postby Bay Bob » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:02 pm

flightcancelled wrote:Awesome, that would be great! Where do you go right outside the mouth of the river? The difficult part is finding an area that isnt 40 feet deep and that the seaducks want to sit on. Right? Im trying to think where anywhere shallow enough that is still 400 yards from shore would be in that area. I work on the base and would love to be able to hunt seaducks right here instead of going all the way down to point lookout.

I have killed quite a few just inside the "three legged bouy" (which is not a bouy at all !) just off of Hog Point.

The Sea Duck Zone boundary runs from Drum Point to Hog Point so as long as you are bayside of that line.

Last time I measured the 3LB is about 850 yards off shore and the water is relatively shallow - - - the tide however rips across that bar so use plenty of weight on your anchors - - - I hav taken to just tying the decoys off the stern - - -

Chart
http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/12264.shtml
Bay Bob
hunter

Postby Hardhead » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:10 am

As far as the incidental scouting report, I can state zero confirmed huntable ducks between Solomons and the Honga river yesterday afternoon. However, I did see one rather large unidentified flight of something way off moving fast from way south to way north, mid bay and close to the water, and about 75 cormorants. There were also a fair number of undersized rock under birds.

Might need a few more weeks of cold weather yet.
Hardhead
hunter

Postby Bay Bob » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:22 am

Hardhead wrote:As far as the incidental scouting report, I can state zero confirmed huntable ducks between Solomons and the Honga river yesterday afternoon. However, I did see one rather large unidentified flight of something way off moving fast from way south to way north, mid bay and close to the water, and about 75 cormorants. There were also a fair number of undersized rock under birds.

Might need a few more weeks of cold weather yet.

Yeah ! Bluebird days don't play out well for us near the bay. What birds there are in the area seem to stay further up river and on the numerous freshwater ponds - - - -

If it does not cool off we will be hunting local mallards next split - - -
Bay Bob
hunter

Postby fowllife250 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:29 pm

They are down.. went out today and shot a three man limit. Best shooting hours are from first light until 8:30.
fowllife250
hunter

Postby flightcancelled » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:05 pm

Thanks for the report!
flightcancelled
hunter

Postby Bay Bob » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:37 am

fowllife250 wrote:They are down.. went out today and shot a three man limit. Best shooting hours are from first light until 8:30.

Can you give us a general location without giving away your spot (s) ?

Like North Bay, Mid North Bay, Mid Bay, South Bay - - -

Just a general idea, cause I have been watching the bay here in Southern Calvert and not seeing a thing.

Thanks

BB

Maybe this cold snap will bring as some birds - - -
Bay Bob
hunter

Postby fowllife250 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:53 pm

Bay Bob wrote:
fowllife250 wrote:They are down.. went out today and shot a three man limit. Best shooting hours are from first light until 8:30.

Can you give us a general location without giving away your spot (s) ?

Like North Bay, Mid North Bay, Mid Bay, South Bay - - -

Just a general idea, cause I have been watching the bay here in Southern Calvert and not seeing a thing.

Thanks

BB

Maybe this cold snap will bring as some birds - - -

We were hunting Mid-Bay just south of the Bridge.
fowllife250
hunter

Postby flightcancelled » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:54 am

Any more reports on seaducks? I am hoping to go after some next week since I have some time off but I havent heard very promising reports. I am located at the mouth of the patuxent and have yet to see any seaducks or even divers. Typically the first thing is spot is some ruddys in the bay and river followed by seaducks and then blackheads. I have not even seen a ruddy in the big water yet! Starting to get a little worried that next week might be a bust. Anyone seen any seaducks or divers on big water in other parts of MD yet?
flightcancelled
hunter

Postby petrel » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:48 pm

I'd like to hear a bay seaduck report too. Anyone willing to share a report?
petrel
hunter

Postby tcole220 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:46 pm

petrel wrote:I'd like to hear a bay seaduck report too. Anyone willing to share a report?

I was out rock fishing out of the Choptank today with a charter that typically does seaduck hunts this time of year. We saw lots of seaducks in the mouth of the Choptank and out in the middle of the bay in front of Breezy Point. He reported that all of his trips this past week limited out on Ol Squals mixed with surf scooters. Average party was 4 guys.
tcole220
hunter

Postby tcole220 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:49 pm

flightcancelled wrote:Any more reports on seaducks? I am hoping to go after some next week since I have some time off but I havent heard very promising reports. I am located at the mouth of the patuxent and have yet to see any seaducks or even divers. Typically the first thing is spot is some ruddys in the bay and river followed by seaducks and then blackheads. I have not even seen a ruddy in the big water yet! Starting to get a little worried that next week might be a bust. Anyone seen any seaducks or divers on big water in other parts of MD yet?

The patuxent in the Benedict / Indian Creek area is full of ruddy's & buffle heads. Went out last Tuesday and you could of shot a limit easily but I was after the mallards that ended up hanging out on the docks! :sad:
tcole220
hunter

Postby flightcancelled » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:05 pm

At least someone is seeing some birds. Thanks for the report!
flightcancelled
hunter

Postby Bay Bob » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:01 am

tcole220 wrote:
flightcancelled wrote:Any more reports on seaducks? I am hoping to go after some next week since I have some time off but I havent heard very promising reports. I am located at the mouth of the patuxent and have yet to see any seaducks or even divers. Typically the first thing is spot is some ruddys in the bay and river followed by seaducks and then blackheads. I have not even seen a ruddy in the big water yet! Starting to get a little worried that next week might be a bust. Anyone seen any seaducks or divers on big water in other parts of MD yet?

The patuxent in the Benedict / Indian Creek area is full of ruddy's & buffle heads. Went out last Tuesday and you could of shot a limit easily but I was after the mallards that ended up hanging out on the docks! :sad:

Thanks - - - that is good news - - - but with last nights temp in the 50s they will probably stay there for a while - - -
Bay Bob
hunter

Postby flightcancelled » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:05 pm

Saw some goldeneyes on the pax today! Hope it is a sign of things to come!!! Anybody else seeing anything exciting??
flightcancelled
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting