Trip with Pitboss

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

Trip with Pitboss

Postby quackstacker2 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:37 am

I will be leaving this Saturday morning for Maryland. My dad and I are hunting with Jeff Coats on Nov,21st and 22nd. We cant wait. Whats the weather like and have the sea ducks moved in? What level of clothing should I pack for the weather??
A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
quackstacker2
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Re: Trip with Pitboss

Postby assateague » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:36 am

It's been crazy warm here. Supposed to stay in the lower 60s through next week, lows in the high 40s. Be a little cooler on the water, though. I'm not sure where you're going, but the birds really showed up down on the coast last week, and we've had a ton of geese around. Goose will be in on the 19th, so you might get a crack at some of them as well. Don't know about sea ducks yet, though. Sounds like if you're on the east side of the bay, you should be good. Stay away from the western shore at all costs, though, from what I've heard! It's supposed to rain(I think) the first part of next week, so you might be in very good shape. Good luck, and enjoy your trip!
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby duckinfool72 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:15 pm

why not just ask Jeff Coats? :huh:
DO SOME DAMAGE
duckinfool72
hunter

Postby quackstacker2 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:26 pm

Isnt the purpose of this site to ask questions and interact with others. I could ask Jeff Coats. But I thought I'd ask hunters in the state of Maryland!!! People like Assateague doesnt mind helping others and seems to know the ropes. Duck72, you didnt even need to reply if thats all the useful help you could provide! Thx Assateague. :thumbsup:
A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
quackstacker2

Postby Bay Bob » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:35 pm

There are some sea ducks down as far as Chesapeake Beach and Deale on the western shore, but not many as far as the Patuxent.

Our best gunning comes in January - - -
Bay Bob
hunter

Postby petrel » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:26 pm

Not to derail the thread, but thanks for sharing the awesome photos bay bob!

My boys and I are hoping to try our luck at sea duck hunting on the Virginia part of the bay soon.

Quackstacker, please let us know how your hunt goes. Best of Luck!
petrel
hunter

Postby quackstacker2 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:42 pm

Thx men. As soon as I get back you all will be some of the first to know. Good luck with your season as well.

quackstacker2

Postby assateague » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:53 pm

petrel wrote:Not to derail the thread, but thanks for sharing the awesome photos bay bob!

My boys and I are hoping to try our luck at sea duck hunting on the Virginia part of the bay soon.

I've never been (I get seasick as a bustard), but I've seen, and heard about, big numbers and variety of sea ducks around the Bay Bridge Tunnel. May want to keep that in mind.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby Bay Bob » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:47 pm

assateague wrote:
petrel wrote:Not to derail the thread, but thanks for sharing the awesome photos bay bob!

I've never been (I get seasick as a bustard), but I've seen, and heard about, big numbers and variety of sea ducks around the Bay Bridge Tunnel. May want to keep that in mind.

The lower Potomac tends to hold a lot of birds including divers and seaducks later in the year but you would have to hunt one of the Virginia bays or get a MD non resident tag - - -

Here is a wide shot of that bunch of birds so you can grasp the size of the raft - - - this is right at the mouth of the Patuxent
Bay Bob
hunter

Postby quackstacker2 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:02 am

Wow.....I sure hope the area I'll be hunting in has that many birds holding up already!!!! Thx for the pic. I cant wait to pull the trigger on some myself. :thumbsup:

quackstacker2

Postby duckinfool72 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:14 pm

quackstacker2 wrote:Isnt the purpose of this site to ask questions and interact with others. I could ask Jeff Coats. But I thought I'd ask hunters in the state of Maryland!!! People like Assateague doesnt mind helping others and seems to know the ropes. Duck72, you didnt even need to reply if thats all the useful help you could provide! Thx Assateague. :thumbsup:

seems pretty simple to me, call the guy you booked the trip with. he is the one you paid all your money too and is suppose to be on em day in and day out, not a bunch of guys behind a keyboard that really dont go out and hunt em they just talk about it. I guess simple thing are to much thinking for you Kentucky folk though :huh:
DO SOME DAMAGE
duckinfool72
hunter

Postby Bay Bob » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:53 pm

duckinfool72 wrote:
quackstacker2 wrote:Isnt the purpose of this site to ask questions and interact with others. I could ask Jeff Coats. But I thought I'd ask hunters in the state of Maryland!!! People like Assateague doesnt mind helping others and seems to know the ropes. Duck72, you didnt even need to reply if thats all the useful help you could provide! Thx Assateague. :thumbsup:

seems pretty simple to me, call the guy you booked the trip with. he is the one you paid all your money too and is suppose to be on em day in and day out, not a bunch of guys behind a keyboard that really dont go out and hunt em they just talk about it. I guess simple thing are to much thinking for you Kentucky folk though :huh:

I don't know about the rest of these guys, but being retired I glass the lower bay (Culvert) and the mouth of the Patuxent every day - - - you have to know if there are birds and where they are to make your time on the water productive - - - that is the best reason to hunt close to home - - - so you can keep tabs on the birds.

The othe problem is the outfitter, who is in this for money, may paint a rosy picture just to keep the business coming
Bay Bob
hunter

Postby Aunt Bee » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:30 pm

PS- Welcome to "the club" --duckinfool72--R U sure it's not --- F *%#^#infool72???? :lol3: :lol3:
Aunt Bee
hunter

Postby duckinfool72 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:09 pm

Aunt Bee wrote:PS- Welcome to "the club" --duckinfool72--R U sure it's not --- F *%#^#infool72???? :lol3: :lol3:

yup you got me nailed down to a "t" :rolleyes:
DO SOME DAMAGE
duckinfool72
hunter

Postby duckinfool72 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:11 pm

Bay Bob wrote:
duckinfool72 wrote:

I don't know about the rest of these guys, but being retired I glass the lower bay (Culvert) and the mouth of the Patuxent every day - - - you have to know if there are birds and where they are to make your time on the water productive - - - that is the best reason to hunt close to home - - - so you can keep tabs on the birds.

The othe problem is the outfitter, who is in this for money, may paint a rosy picture just to keep the business coming

BB while you put your time in glassing a very small portion of a large watershed, many of these guys are internet wanna be weekend warrior's who dont have the first clue how to be sucessful other then to blow their big river flute and charge the batteries on their dozen mojo's. also just because someone says theres birds out there doesnt mean crap, nor does an outfitters word for that matter. until I see em with my own eyes it all means a grain of salt.
DO SOME DAMAGE
duckinfool72
hunter

Postby Hardhead » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:56 pm

Good grief.
Hardhead
hunter

Trip with Pitboss

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:01 pm

Why don't you share what you would do duckinfool; if..... Your going on a guided hunt out of state for some birds that you normally don't get to shoot?
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby drakedropper619 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:22 pm

what the hell is your problem duckinfool? The guy is excited to be going on a guided hunt for ducks he never got before. I think he just want to talk about it. I am pretty sure that this site is here for the whole friendship between fellow hunters and the love for the sport. If you are going to condone people or say that they dont go out and just sit behind there keyboards or are weekend warriors you are an idiot. I work 45 hours a week and hunt strictly public land and we kill piles of ducks. A weekend warrior is not a bad thing. besides vacation days and make up time at work all i hunt is the weekend. so either you are some self employed chump, retired, or just a jobless bum who don't care how they r going to pay there bills. then pretty much you are mostly a weekend warrior. I am just so sick of the guys that come on here during duck season and act like they are king dingaling know it alls and nobody does or knows better then they do :bow: . You want to know how good a guide pitboss is? take a look at the photos on his website the are some of the best i have ever seen. I have never hunted with him but i hope to in the near future! GOOD LUCK TO YOU ON YOUR HUNT QUACKSTACKER! We heading to jersey next weekend to hopefully kill some buffies and brant! we all routin for ya bud. post up some pics when you get back.
drakedropper619
hunter

Postby flightcancelled » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:59 pm

Let me just say this. I frequently used the NC state forum several years ago when I lived there. Unfortunately the entire site was basically trashed be people talking sh!+. It got to the point that it was just full of drama and worthless banter. I eventually quick even visiting the site because it was simply depressing that anyone trying to ask an innocent question would be jumped all over and scolded. Isnt that the whole point of the site? To discuss tactics, ideas, general info, and just have fun? Please don't send this forum in the same direction. Many of us are not fortunate enough at this point to be retired or have a job that allows hunting during the week. That doesn't make us not duck hunters, it just means we have responsibilities that come before our enjoyment of the sport. I hope you enjoy the hunt with pitboss very much! Please post some pictures and a report on how it goes. To everyone else, please enjoy the site and lets not stir the pot for the hell of it!
flightcancelled
hunter

Postby quackstacker2 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:34 am

Thx ya'll. As soon as I get back in town next week I'll post pictures and let everyone know how my hunting adventure went! I checked the weather, it looks to be around 56 for the highs and 43 for the lows. A 30% chance of rain. The weather doesn’t sound too bad.
Ok for you here that know about the sea ducks educate me a little. If I'm not mistaking sea ducks are easy to decoy and are typically easy birds to hunt??? Yes or No? Also, there is a lot of them in the Ocean city area??

quackstacker2

Postby The Butcher » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:55 pm

Jeff will put you on birds. Those pictures were showing divers (Blue Bills) rafted up, not sea ducks. Divers will decoy fairly well and are a blast to shoot but they're tough. Sea Ducks, your Old Squaw, Scoters and the like, generally buzz the spread (and it will be a big spread) at what seems like 50 mph low to the water. Can be some of the most challenging wing shooting available. You'll probably get into some buffleheads as well. Like one poster said, it's a little early and the puddle hunting has been horrific so far but the sea ducks and divers have been starting to roll in. You'll have fun and are going with one of the best guides on the bay.
Terp Nut
The Butcher
hunter

Postby quackstacker2 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:44 pm

:lol: Oh...I'm so excited!!! I'm grinning ear to ear just thnking of the time my dad and I will have!!!

quackstacker2

Postby Hardhead » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:25 pm

What the Butcher said is right on the money, particularly the buzzing past at 50 mph... be sure to bring plenty of shells.
Hardhead
hunter

Postby mighty mike » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:04 pm

Good luck quackstacker! Pitboss has an exceptional reputation i'm sure you'll be fine.
mighty mike
hunter

Postby Aunt Bee » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:30 pm

Remember , crips with the head UP, hit 'em again QUICK!!
Aunt Bee
hunter

Next

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting