Trip with Pitboss

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Re: Trip with Pitboss

Postby quackstacker2 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:09 pm

10 boxes of Hevishot, 2 boxes of hevi metal enough shells total 150 shells enough??? Checked the weather looking better and better
A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
quackstacker2
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby The Butcher » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:59 pm

Figure you hit one in every 3 or 4 at least good enough to knock them down so the math would be something like a box a limit so you should be good. To Aunt Bee's point those suckers usually pop up and follow up shots are needed so that factors in. I went with a guide (not Jeff) and he had some Benelli pro shooters (not hunters) out a week before and said those boys were hitting one in six. He also said the birds were flying low and hard that day and weren't overly interested in the dekes so it varies. I guarantee you'll be a good bit behind the first bird and take no offense to that. I'm a decent shot and the look on my face after my shot hit 15 yards behind the duck had our guide rolling. I was so stunned I didn't even fire the other two shells. But once you figure out the lead you'll be good to go. It is fun. If you get into divers they will generally land in the spread and IMHO are a little easier to kill but they can be tough also. We had a blast last season and my oldest son would be on the bow with his shotgun while we all scanned the water waiting for the duck we just shot to pop up. They can stay under for a while - freaking aqua ducks.

Hope you and your dad have a blast.
Terp Nut
The Butcher
hunter

Postby quackstacker2 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:54 am

I'm not a horrible shot, but I'm not setting any records either! I've been shooting skeet for the past month and a half so I hope I'll at least have a chance to kill them!!! I'm intimidated in the fact I'll suck at shoot the little rascals. :hammer: My old man doesn’t hunt a lot so there's a little concern. Hey they way I look at it...If we kill a one man limit and have fun doing it I'll be satisfied.
A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
quackstacker2

Postby Aunt Bee » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:58 am

If you hunt Assateague (bay behind the surf at Ocean City) you will launch at the state ramp to the left of Varazano Bridge into the state & fed park. Take a ride into the park AFTER the hunt & you will see our small Sika deer feeding along the road , prob. with some wild ponies, cousins of "Misty Of Chincoteague" You might see some Brant as Jeff runs past South Point to the sea duck zone. I hear he has a new 26 ftr instead of his old 23 ftr. ps- Sika deer resemble a 70 lb ELK with a 6 ptr being a trophy. I grew up on Long Island, NY so I hunted the 3 B's ( Brant, Blacks, & Broad bill (scaup) ) so my son & I are right at home at Assateague. We hunt out of 2 Barnegat sneakboxes & a 19 ft Carolina skiff. LET US KNOW HOW THE TRIP TURNS OUT. Good luck to you both! :beer: Regards, A.B. :beer:
Aunt Bee
hunter

Postby quackstacker2 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:31 pm

Thx to everyone for all there comments and knowledge. I appreciate it a lot. Hopefully we'll have a good time and kill some birds. I'll be sure to post up details of my trip. Getting ready to head to bed, ocean city is a long haul from central KentuckyThx again.

quackstacker2

Postby Aunt Bee » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:02 pm

PS- My son & friend are hunting there today & Sat. The Brant are in the bay My son got a drake redhead this evening along with some teal- redheads are fairly scarce at Assateague.
Aunt Bee
hunter

Postby quackstacker2 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:08 pm

Wow.... What a drive it was from central ky to ocean city Maryland. We thought we would never get here. We just checked in to my hotel! Going to the Ward Museum tomorrow and then to dinner with Pit Boss! Monday shooting scoters in the ocean!!! Can't wait guy. :grooving:

quackstacker2

Postby The Butcher » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:14 pm

That will be cool. Bust those bad boys. We sure aren't on the western shore.
Terp Nut
The Butcher
hunter

Postby Aunt Bee » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:47 am

If I'm in OC, should I look for 2 guys in coonskin caps on the boardwalk?? :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :beer:
Aunt Bee
hunter

Postby quackstacker2 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:02 pm

You bet and we've got granny in the truck bed with a double barrel!! :beer:

quackstacker2

Postby assateague » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:08 pm

I hope you guys had some good luck. The weather cooperated a bit- a little warm, but at least it was drizzling, which wasn't in the forecast at all. How'd it go today? The Ward museum is pretty neat- hope you had a good time (it irritates me how many ducks and geese hang out in that pond out back, too) :thumbsup: Be careful of the deer- they've been running like crazy down here, all over Route 50. If you see some guy hoisting road kill into the back of an old Jeep Cherokee, that's me- stop and say hello! :lol3:
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Previous

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting