Man am I deperessed - - -

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

Man am I deperessed - - -

Postby Bay Bob » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:43 pm

I just got back from a boat ride down to Cedar Point Hollow, then up to Cove Point, and then upriver of Point Patience - - - the only ducks I saw were sleeping on peoples docks - - -

I just cannot believe that I did not see even one bufflehead - - - and this is supposed to be a banner year :fingerhead:
Bay Bob
hunter

Re: Man am I deperessed - - -

Postby mdfowlman » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:30 pm

Western shore is tough right now im down the shore saw atleast 500 ducks and 300 geese tonight just at sunset
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby gr8white » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:50 pm

The banner year has me scratching my head...seems
It's hit or miss so far.
gr8white
hunter

Postby Bay Bob » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:08 am

mdfowlman wrote:Western shore is tough right now im down the shore saw atleast 500 ducks and 300 geese tonight just at sunset

I did not even get out of bed this morning - - - me missing an early Saturday is historic !

I will slither out this afternoon and see if anything moves at dusk - - -

This cold snap should have brought us birds - - - but I do not have a clue - - -

I think the changes in agricultural practices (here ont he WS) have changed migration patterns.

It used to be that there was still some corn being cut later in the year and there was some crop residue.

Now they have the corn cut in September and a cover crop sprouted by October - - - what birds that do come find nothing but green fields - - - I know the geese love "green" at times but I can't recall ever seeing a duck on a green field - - -
Bay Bob
hunter

Postby Aunt Bee » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:50 am

It is also common in COASTAL areas, Assateague, Barnegat, & Long Island for BRANT- a coastal, sea goose to feed on grass at golf courses, etc INSTEAD of eel grass & sea lettuce. Mine GOTT !!! Vat's up mit dis ??? :huh: :huh:
Aunt Bee
hunter

Postby Bay Bob » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:57 am

Aunt Bee wrote:It is also common in COASTAL areas, Assateague, Barnegat, & Long Island for BRANT- a coastal, sea goose to feed on grass at golf courses, etc INSTEAD of eel grass & sea lettuce. Mine GOTT !!! Vat's up mit dis ??? :huh: :huh:

Yeah ! I live a couple hundred yards from a golf course with several ponds. There are almost always a couple dozen local geese on them and even a few local mallards - - - but I don't think they ever leave - - - couple folks that live right next to the course feed them and that don't help - - -

Thought about leaving a trail of corn to my closeest duck blind :yes:
Bay Bob
hunter

Postby flightcancelled » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:07 pm

Wow, not the report I was hoping to hear tonight! I was hoping to hear signs of life following the quick cold snap. Guess I will have to just continue waiting until the next REAL cold front. And by looking at the weather that means 3rd split. I guess now I will just hope for a killer 3rd split opener! Not to say I won't try next week, but I won't expect any miracles.
flightcancelled
hunter

Postby Bay Bob » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:11 am

flightcancelled wrote:Wow, not the report I was hoping to hear tonight! I was hoping to hear signs of life following the quick cold snap. Guess I will have to just continue waiting until the next REAL cold front. And by looking at the weather that means 3rd split. I guess now I will just hope for a killer 3rd split opener! Not to say I won't try next week, but I won't expect any miracles.

I spent yesterday afternoon (even a bit after shooting time) on Goose Creek just to see if anything was roosting at night - - - not a thing moved - - -

Of course the guy flyfishing about a hundred yards in from the outlet probably did not help - - - but I did not even see a bird over the bay - - -

Maybe my memory is flawed but I seem to recall more birds in the middle split - - - of course it has been relatively mild except for a few days .

We really need a good hard freeze in PA, NY, and NJ - - - -

I'm going to dust off my "snow dance" :biggrin:
Bay Bob
hunter

Postby flyslinger2 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:02 pm

Ok. I'm totally new to waterfowl hunting in Maryland but have hunted whitetail for years all over. I am looking for any guidance that anyone would be willing to offer up for hunting waterfowl either on the Patuxent or Potomac. I have the luxury of being able to hunt weekdays when blinds are clogged on the weekends. I have,two seasoned veteran waterfowlers that I want to "treat" them since they got me into whitetail years ago.
flyslinger2
Newb

Postby Bay Bob » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:45 pm

flyslinger2 wrote:Ok. I'm totally new to waterfowl hunting in Maryland but have hunted whitetail for years all over. I am looking for any guidance that anyone would be willing to offer up for hunting waterfowl either on the Patuxent or Potomac. I have the luxury of being able to hunt weekdays when blinds are clogged on the weekends. I have,two seasoned veteran waterfowlers that I want to "treat" them since they got me into whitetail years ago.

I would stay pretty far up either river in one of the public blindsites - - - until about Christmas

Check each of the listing in this link as many have blinds or at least blindsites

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/Publiclands/wmasouthern.asp

The Nat Park Service even has blinds just south of D.C.
Bay Bob
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting