Upper Potomac

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Upper Potomac

Postby Ezbyrd » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:21 pm

Hey all, awfully quiet as far as reports. Is it like some other areas nearby with no new birds in town yet. I havent seen much more than resident birds,geese, around.Mornings deer hunting are dead quiet no flights at all. Whats going on? :huh:
Ezbyrd
hunter

Re: Upper Potomac

Postby ohioboy » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:14 pm

i agree. i hunt in poolesville not too far from the river. not one goose flew tonight. 3 weeks ago it was 500+. had one woody buzz the pond as i worked on the blind.

lakes in my hood have plenty of geese but doubt the MoCo PD would like that. BUT, the late night flights have all stopped as far as i can tell.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Ezbyrd » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:20 pm

Come on guys for all the views and nobodys got nothing to add? :wink: Help a brother out just curious for info about movement,not your "spot" :beer:
Ezbyrd
hunter

Postby cent.pa » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:48 am

I was up around Seneca Creek on the VA side on Monday evening. I didn't see anything flyings besides a bunch of gulls flying down river. On the 12th there were a pile of birds around, but didn't really want to decoy. We did end up with two Hoodies that came in while repositioning the decoys. There is too much open water around the area IMO.
cent.pa
hunter

Postby Ezbyrd » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:04 pm

Thanks cent.pa,I noticed some of the same thing today,large groups of ducks and geese in areas Ive never seen them.Hopefuly the week will end on a positive note,thanks again.
Ezbyrd
hunter

Postby kfgirl » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:43 pm

ohioboy wrote:i agree. i hunt in poolesville not too far from the river. not one goose flew tonight. 3 weeks ago it was 500+. had one woody buzz the pond as i worked on the blind.

lakes in my hood have plenty of geese but doubt the MoCo PD would like that. BUT, the late night flights have all stopped as far as i can tell.

I didn't think anyone knew where poolesville was.

Question: How do you guys go about finding places to hunt? Not looking to take anyone's "honeyhole". Just asking as a newbie. :bow:
vincentpa wrote: Even if you're Bruce Lee, you ain't the same Bruce Lee wearing waders.
kfgirl
hunter

Postby Bay Bob » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:10 pm

kfgirl wrote:
ohioboy wrote:i agree. i hunt in poolesville not too far from the river. not one goose flew tonight. 3 weeks ago it was 500+. had one woody buzz the pond as i worked on the blind.

Question: How do you guys go about finding places to hunt? Not looking to take anyone's "honeyhole". Just asking as a newbie. :bow:

Well - - - you have to do a lot of driving and boat riding and remember where you see ducks from year to year.

Then you need to check the DNR map to see what areas are permanently (sort of) locked up - - -

Click here and zoom in on your nearby areas - - - and remember this is just the multi-year licensed property - - - squatters (like me) are a whole 'nother set of maps - - - available at your local DNR office - - -

Sate site - - - http://dnrweb.dnr.state.md.us/gis/blindsites/mapper/index.html

Sample of a local map - - - note how the sites are packed in - - -
Bay Bob
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:39 pm

birds (geese) all over the area. grain and grass are all popular. sat am they were flying from early (its funny to watch them change flight path because of deer hunters shooting) until mid morning, and all over. thousands.

birds are around and i have farms to hunt, but not with guest. if you want to hunt, it will be public, and in a kayak or canoe, but it will be fun. pm if interested.

lots of ringnecks in my hood. some mallards too. wish buffies were here-suck to eat, but fun to shoot.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby kfgirl » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:09 am

Bay Bob wrote:
kfgirl wrote:

Well - - - you have to do a lot of driving and boat riding and remember where you see ducks from year to year.

Then you need to check the DNR map to see what areas are permanently (sort of) locked up - - -

Click here and zoom in on your nearby areas - - - and remember this is just the multi-year licensed property - - - squatters (like me) are a whole 'nother set of maps - - - available at your local DNR office - - -

Sate site - - - http://dnrweb.dnr.state.md.us/gis/blindsites/mapper/index.html

Sample of a local map - - - note how the sites are packed in - - -

:sad: Oh Lordeee... this is more work than I originally thought! lol! I probably should have paid more attention in social studies class!! Maps? Ack!! Hahahaha! Well i'm never one to back down from learning something new. Thanks Bay Bob - I'll spend some more time on the DNR site.
vincentpa wrote: Even if you're Bruce Lee, you ain't the same Bruce Lee wearing waders.
kfgirl
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:28 pm

all is quiet now. have not seen much at all from the deer stand the last week-there was tons here 2 weeks ago. i was out at seneca last night and paddled around near dusk and saw 4 mallards over the golf course. thats it. not one goose honk anywhere. even the census of local 'hood ponds have declined drastically.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby gaggleman » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:56 am

ohioboy wrote:all is quiet now. have not seen much at all from the deer stand the last week-there was tons here 2 weeks ago. i was out at seneca last night and paddled around near dusk and saw 4 mallards over the golf course. thats it. not one goose honk anywhere. even the census of local 'hood ponds have declined drastically.

Our whole migratory duck population revolves around cold weather and if we do not get any, then we won't see alot of ducks. Or good ducks shall i say. We need a solid week of some cold weather and you will start to see some birds. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
gaggleman
hunter

Postby kfgirl » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:36 pm

ohioboy wrote:all is quiet now. have not seen much at all from the deer stand the last week-there was tons here 2 weeks ago. i was out at seneca last night and paddled around near dusk and saw 4 mallards over the golf course. thats it. not one goose honk anywhere. even the census of local 'hood ponds have declined drastically.

Seneca? Seneca creek area? (and NO, i haven't looked at the DNR maps yet.).
kfgirl
hunter

Postby kfgirl » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:37 pm

Never thought I'd see the day I'd see this hispanic girl routing for cold weather! lol! But I do have an all new appreciation for it now. Plus with all the warm gear.... It's kinda nice. Tampa's looking less appealing these days. Did I mention I have a cousin in Canada??!
kfgirl
hunter

Postby Ezbyrd » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:31 pm

hopefuly with the forcast being what it is MAYBE....... Its gonna get something going for next week. With the second split being devoid of birds,somethings gotta give.......
Ezbyrd
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:28 pm

geese are back in MoCo and were flying saturday aaaaaaaaaaallllllllll day long. before dawn to after dusk they were flying and were very noisy. my guess would be new birds that the cold weather brought in.

noticed a few more ducks on the local ponds too, but not the huge numbers i want to see.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Ezbyrd » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:29 pm

I was workin at the powerplant in Boyds on the 9th didnt see anything except for afew herds of deer,heard a few geese. I know some one has to be hunting aaround Mckee,what have the sightings been like....
Ezbyrd
hunter

Postby Jfk1700 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:53 pm

Not many birds around. Saw a few wood ducks and teal the other day around Mckee.... :rolleyes:
Jfk1700
hunter

Postby kfgirl » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:39 pm

Ohioboy, Don't forget about me!!! Tagalong. I"ll be your sherpa... :biggrin:
kfgirl
hunter

Postby Ezbyrd » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:19 am

Thanks jfk was hping to hear a bit more,but we take whatever comes our way :thumbsup:
Ezbyrd
hunter

Postby stark1728 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:31 am

If you're looking for skybusters and bad callers (ie, yahoos), head to McKee. Won't find many ducks there - thanks to the yahoos. Most of the action appears to be on the river.
stark1728
hunter

Postby kfgirl » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:31 pm

Where's McKee? Every one keeps talking about it. :huh:
kfgirl
hunter

Postby Ezbyrd » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:07 pm

Mckee the place no one hunts or dares to go,not worth it etc etc etc... :smile: Its off River road past Rileys lock where everyone with a boat puts in on the river,Montgomery county...
Ezbyrd
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:01 am

Going out this Friday &/or Saturday, or rather I hope too. Looking for someone to come along. I have the boat, the dog and an empty seat. Usually go out of Seneca but open to suggestions.
Let me know.
Thanks
GD
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby skinfan21 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:18 am

its not worth going out been out 4 out of 5 days and only shoot 7 brids
Born to hunt forced to work
skinfan21
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:44 am

Thanks 21,
It ain't really about the birds, they're just a fringe benefit.
GD
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter

Next

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting