Upper Potomac

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

Re: Upper Potomac

Postby Jfk1700 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:33 am

DUzone9 wrote:Hey there everyone! Havent been on for some time! But what a great season so far! Upper potomac is rocking! Even got a Blue wing before the season went out! "Williamsport Md" so post back guys would love to hear how all of you are doing this season so far! :hammer: Thanks Justin

River is insane right now!
Jfk1700
hunter

Postby BigTerp » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:59 am

DUzone9 wrote:Hey there everyone! Havent been on for some time! But what a great season so far! Upper potomac is rocking! Even got a Blue wing before the season went out! "Williamsport Md" so post back guys would love to hear how all of you are doing this season so far! :hammer: Thanks Justin

Only been out on the Potomac once so far and only managed a wood duck and GWT. Saw a decent amount of ducks but they were all flying high and fast. Never even gave our setup a look. Geese are EVERYWHERE though!!
BigTerp
hunter

Postby BigTerp » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:00 am

Jfk1700 wrote:River is insane right now!

It sure is!! I'm hoping it goes down quick and doesn't redesign the landscape where I plan to hunt next Saturday.
BigTerp
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:16 am

BigTerp wrote:
Jfk1700 wrote:River is insane right now!

It sure is!! I'm hoping it goes down quick and doesn't redesign the landscape where I plan to hunt next Saturday.

I would start planning now.....
ohioboy
hunter

Postby BigTerp » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:43 am

River is still up a bit but getting back to manageable levels. Need another foot or so drop before Saturday. Chance of rain Wednesday and chance of a frozen mix Thursday. Hopefully accumulations stay down as well as the river!!
BigTerp
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:52 am

It's pretty clear of debris too, which is the biggest hazard in my opinion. Good luck.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:44 am

She was flowing strong but not muddy anymore when I was out scouting last night. I heard wind is going to be a big factor on this storm, not so much the precipitation. So if you plan on running a jet on the river, might want to watch out for the leaves...
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby BigTerp » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:55 am

River was up a bit on Saturday, but not enough to mess up any of our spots. Managed 2 wood ducks, and I missed all three shots on a group of 3 that I jumped that were WAY to close to be missing :mad: Had 2 mergansers come into the setup, but they landed short out with the gesse decoys and we never got a shot at them. Not nearly as many birds flying as we saw a few weeks ago. The ones we did see flying flew really late close to 9:00. Taking off work this Thursday and Friday to get after them again. Good luck to everyone who will be out this week!!
BigTerp
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:43 pm

Any divers on river recently? Or in numbers? I am sure some are there.

Heading out tomorrow after school for a quick one.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Jfk1700 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:54 am

ohioboy wrote:Any divers on river recently? Or in numbers? I am sure some are there.

Heading out tomorrow after school for a quick one.

Was out this morning in the rain for a couple hours...no divers to speak of. Saw a few geese but only a few ducks unfortunately.
Jfk1700
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:00 am

pair o mergies and a couple mallards yesterday on the river. im down to 5 shovelers at my house from the original 11, geese are really starting to feed much better in fields but they are roosting out on the river in numbers.
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby BigTerp » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:41 am

PSUbuzz wrote:pair o mergies and a couple mallards yesterday on the river. im down to 5 shovelers at my house from the original 11, geese are really starting to feed much better in fields but they are roosting out on the river in numbers.

I've noticed the same. Haven't really been scouting, but haven't seen many geese in the fields. There does seem to be a ton of them roosting on the river though. Have yet to see a mallard the few times I've been out. All wood ducks, teal and mergansers. Did see a pair of redheads rafting down the river when I checked it out the day after Sandy hit. I'm pretty sure they were lost though :huh:
BigTerp
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:59 am

Thanks all
ohioboy
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:23 pm

Wow. Not one duck. Some geese low and looking. Snows high and cruising.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:56 pm

You're bound and determined to make getting out at O'dark thirty tough for me aren't ya? Sorry the birds weren't cooperating, I'll let you know how I make out.
GD
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter

Lower Upper Potomac

Postby Grey Dog » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:42 pm

Not much going on today either. Saw a few divers file by but that was it. Saw one Goose. Had a very amusing morning with the K-9, but that's a story for another time. Probably won't get out again till next week. Gonna try and put some speed beef in the frig Saturday.

GD

Grey Dog
hunter

Postby BigTerp » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:15 pm

Not a single duck all morning. Weather was almost perfect, but nothing was flying. Saw one small group of geese and that was it. Heading back out tomorrow morning but not very optimistic.
BigTerp
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:57 pm

They have to be here soon, right? :fingerhead:
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Jfk1700 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:21 am

Didn't see anything this morning. :sad:
Jfk1700
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:54 am

The river yesterday was clear and moderate level. Good water conditions all around. I'd trade it for some birds. I guess it's a good thing that I like being out and enjoy the dog's company.

I've been committed for later on today (No wisecracks necessary) and I think opening day of VA FA speed beef is apt to be more productive and socially acceptable (Rid the world of some excess garden snackin' deer.) Unfortunately the 8 point we've been sighting turned up dead the other day. :crying: Apparently had a slight mis-calculation and made contact with somebodies vehicle. He made it onto the farm but his hips were messed up. Looks like he was doing quite a bit of fighting and his genes should continue on.

Hit the river again next week.

Good luck all.
GD

"There are two types of deer worth killing, trophy bucks and fryers." -Unknown

Grey Dog
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:44 am

a couple buffleheads have replaced the shovelers at my house. The geese that have been around are sticking to golf courses but are starting to feed in fields. Some ducks out there too, but not many. Pretty poor scouting on the river the last few days, starting to look very "plan C" ey to me for tomorrow
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:42 am

Or plan d- as in deer.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:32 pm

Just got a call from a farm ive been waiting to hear from. Got my green light slip and the scouting from last night and this morning looked pretty good. Enjoy getting up early for the public hunting boys, ill be sleeping in a bit and hitting the corn fields har har harrrrrrr mateyssssssss :hammer:
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:49 pm

Congrats PSU! I for one am completely green w/envy!(Don't see anything appropriate among the smilies though.)
Go get 'em! :beer:
GD

Grey Dog
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:35 pm

Saw 60 or so buffies. That was it. Tried middle of the day hunt to avoid crowds and sure did. Heard 2 shots in 3 hours. No geese seen.
ohioboy
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting