Upper Potomac

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

Re: Upper Potomac

Postby kfgirl » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:36 pm

Ezbyrd wrote:Mckee the place no one hunts or dares to go,not worth it etc etc etc... :smile: Its off River road past Rileys lock where everyone with a boat puts in on the river,Montgomery county...

Oh goodie! I'll have to check it out...maybe this coming weekend. I use to love the drive up River Road. And I use to run off one of the lochs... Can't remember which. But I thought McKee rang a bell.
vincentpa wrote: Even if you're Bruce Lee, you ain't the same Bruce Lee wearing waders.
kfgirl
hunter

Postby DUzone9 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:50 pm

MckeeB's......... Not worth the drive even if you live right next door to the place! Not a bird one there!! Was down there 2weeks ago looking around and nothing "over hunted" but on the other hand. Down near Buckeystown there is lots of birds around. Field hunting near the Mo.River on public land tomorrow. I will post back tomorrow and give you a heads up on there movement in the area if it might help you for the weekend hunt!
When you hear my third shot,...that's your signal to take em
DUzone9
hunter

Postby Farmpond » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:10 pm

Yes there seems to be alot more hunters too the private land is almost all locked up!
Farmpond
hunter

Postby kfgirl » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:49 pm

Yes, DUzone9, keep us posted! Thanks! :biggrin:
vincentpa wrote: Even if you're Bruce Lee, you ain't the same Bruce Lee wearing waders.
kfgirl
hunter

Postby Ezbyrd » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:56 pm

Mckee is all about when and where,yea alot of hunters thats all public lands,dont care where you go :thumbsup:
Ezbyrd
hunter

Postby DUzone9 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:59 pm

kfgirl wrote:Yes, DUzone9, keep us posted! Thanks! :biggrin:

Well here is the update...... :rolleyes: Geese were up and all over but "and this is a big BUT" ponds still all open. So there still all hanging in them or around there and not traveling to far. Plus still the flight from 7am till 1pm "yes we stayed that late to see what they would do!" was out of this world! NO JOKE!!! We saw any wear from 1,500-2000 geese! Out of all of them we had to lookers but they passed by. Come to find out a deer hunter was walking across the field we were hunting and flared them off us! oh well...... we are going to give it another go tomorrow! :thumbsup:
DUzone9
hunter

Postby kfgirl » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:38 pm

Good to know! Better luck tomorrow. I've got an invite to a piece of land on the Eastern Shore for Sat am. I'm hoping we can get them down to our decoys too. We'll see. I'm just excited to get out though! yay! :biggrin:
kfgirl
hunter

Postby DUzone9 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:18 pm

kfgirl wrote:Good to know! Better luck tomorrow. I've got an invite to a piece of land on the Eastern Shore for Sat am. I'm hoping we can get them down to our decoys too. We'll see. I'm just excited to get out though! yay! :biggrin:

That sounds great! Good luck to you guys and thanks! We will try to save you some after we hammer them tomorrow! :hammer: "wishful thinking" Let me know what kind of flights you see down there....The guys and I are thinking of making a run to the shore here soon if it dose not pop up here. :biggrin:
DUzone9
hunter

Postby Ilovesidebysides » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:10 pm

I was hunting right outside of Buckystown this morning as well. LOTS of birds flying around, but as you said the ponds are open. I watched a lot of birds, ducks and geese, trying to get into the pond near my field. We need some cold air to close those ponds up.
Ilovesidebysides
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:08 am

Anyone need an extra gun Monday? I am going out but am getting tired of hunting alone. I have decoys.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby DUzone9 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:07 pm

Update Buckeystown area!! Ruff day........ Didn't see as the numbers like yesterday but didn't think we would have to deal with guys the next field over blasting there calls at everything non stop... "over doing it" There sky busting did not help either...... Late season people!!! Be picky!!! Don't educate 100s by shooting at 6 birds 70+ yds in the sky!! :fingerhead:
DUzone9
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:49 am

hunted with Grey Dog this am and saw more boats than things to shoot at within range. the number of shots taken was exactly 0. few ducks high and geese higher. barely any shooting by anyone. guys at ramp had a few buffies/gadwall/ringneck. overall we are all waiting patiently (or not so patiently) for ponds and swamps to lock up and push birds on to the bigger waters. i might start targeting crows soon.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby DUzone9 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:17 pm

ohioboy wrote:hunted with Grey Dog this am and saw more boats than things to shoot at within range. the number of shots taken was exactly 0. few ducks high and geese higher. barely any shooting by anyone. guys at ramp had a few buffies/gadwall/ringneck. overall we are all waiting patiently (or not so patiently) for ponds and swamps to lock up and push birds on to the bigger waters. i might start targeting crows soon.

Buddy, we all are wishing for the same thing........... :help:
DUzone9
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:15 pm

it started to flurry and i had to go to the river. ducks were moving at 3ish. pair of mallards came in, hen left alone. Grey Dog-i cashed in my karma points from this morning. by 345 they were done. saw probably 100 ducks in that 45 min. after that, saw one single duck and 2 small groups of canadas with a parking space in mind already.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:54 pm

ohioboy wrote:it started to flurry and i had to go to the river. ducks were moving at 3ish. pair of mallards came in, hen left alone. Grey Dog-i cashed in my karma points from this morning. by 345 they were done. saw probably 100 ducks in that 45 min. after that, saw one single duck and 2 small groups of canadas with a parking space in mind already.

Cool! Right place right time. I guess it helps to have the right place close to home. :beer:
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:57 am

anyone get out to the river this morning? wondered if the "migration" really is starting to pick up and if the river was getting any skim ice yet. should be tonight for sure.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby DUzone9 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:26 am

ohioboy wrote:anyone get out to the river this morning? wondered if the "migration" really is starting to pick up and if the river was getting any skim ice yet. should be tonight for sure.

River temp is 41.4F so i dont think it will make it but good news for the ponds in the area! heading out looking now updates laster on tonight!
DUzone9
hunter

Postby DUzone9 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:28 am

DUzone9 wrote:
ohioboy wrote:anyone get out to the river this morning? wondered if the "migration" really is starting to pick up and if the river was getting any skim ice yet. should be tonight for sure.

River temp is 41.4F so i dont think it will make it but good news for the ponds in the area! heading out looking now updates laster on tonight!

"later on tonight"
DUzone9
hunter

Postby FBomb » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:36 pm

Well all, I'm new to the forum here but I can tell you that I live in Adamstown and work from home so I can hunt/scout every day, and it ain't in Adamstown! Yea, there are some birds in the area but If you like bird watching, have at it! You will be trafficing most of them to the two major holding ponds that are not huntable. See you in Virginia
FBomb
Newb

Postby Dr. LoKo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:33 pm

Thanks for the updates everyone. :thumbsup:

Things are slow down here on the Mid Potomac but we don't see droves of birds (other then the residents) even when the migration is on. Hope this cold snap brings us some new blood or these little guys might be in trouble.... :lol3:

Although I don't think the Park Service Rangers or Metro PD would be too thrilled with me Sneak Boating the Canal. :fingerpt:

Here's to hoping the rest of the season picks up. Good Luck and Good Hunting!

LoKo
Dr. LoKo
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:05 pm

Maybe I'll add an empty "Wonder Bread" bag to the decoy spread. :biggrin:
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby DUzone9 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:27 pm

Nice LoKo hahaha seams like they always know the safe place! You have the same thinking as I do! Was out tonight didn't see a thing but two geese way after shooting hrs. Going to give the river ago tomorrow! Lets hope this cold snap get some fresh fowl down here asap! Happy hunting everyone!
DUzone9
hunter

Postby DUzone9 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:31 pm

Grey Dog wrote:Maybe I'll add an empty "Wonder Bread" bag to the decoy spread. :biggrin:

:lol3: :beer:
DUzone9
hunter

Postby DUzone9 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:00 pm

The duck gods must be upset! Thought it was going to get better and here we go 50*-60*....... I just had it today, got the fishing rods out and hit the river! Good news there are fish in the river... bad news no waterfowl! Don't know why Iam hunting tomorrow but what the heck! Back to the grind! Good Luck every one!
DUzone9
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:07 pm

saw more deer than geese overhead tonight. that is a bad sign.
ohioboy
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting