Upper Potomac

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Re: Upper Potomac

Postby Grey Dog » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:46 pm

I always figured Deer overhead were a bad sign too. :no:
GD
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter

Upper Potomac

Postby Hinkelmonster » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:26 pm

Was on the upper Potomac Thursday am and had geese everywhere and ducks galore...saw a few mergey's too....unfortunately we were on the wrong side of the river because they were 600 yards across on the other side....my buddies were out this am...same place and saw a lot less birds than Thursday and same thing other side?

Headed to the shore tomorrow!
Hinkelmonster
hunter

Upper Potomac

Postby Hinkelmonster » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:31 pm

3 guys, 3drakes and 3 blacks. Loads of geese flying but zero dyin.
Hinkelmonster
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:03 pm

took layout boat out to try a different angle on hunting, thought maybe a few divers would be dumb enough to fly by.

saw less than a dozen buffies sitting. saw 2 mallards i spooked on the way in, no geese. not one honk. back to deer hunting i guess (my wifes suggestion).
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:27 pm

Well there aren't many days left so I guess I'll have to make the best of it. Looks like Saturday should be brisk. Now where did I put those long johns? It has been my experience that I kill very few ducks in my basement. Besides, if I hang around here I'll get something to do assigned to me.
Good luck All!
GD

Grey Dog
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:12 am

Be careful out on the river the next few days. Wednesday the river was at 2.7 ft by me. Supposed to crest Friday morning between 6 and 7 ft. The real danger is those wet rocks will freeze once the water comes back down and make walking on islands and rocks rather slick. Just be mindful out there fellas. Birds are showing up for us in corn fields now. 5 of us tore em up yesterday evening almost limiting out on ducks and geese. We stopped shooting 10 minutes early because we were so close on both limits and too many were still working us. This cold weather should get the birds off the water and out feeding finally
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Markd » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:51 am

PSUbuzz wrote: We stopped shooting 10 minutes early because we were so close on both limits and too many were still working us.

Why? Just curious...were you worried about specific bird ID? As in, you already had your black ducks or 2 bluebills....
Markd
hunter

Postby Jfk1700 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:00 am

anyone go out this morning?
Jfk1700
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:45 pm

Markd wrote:
PSUbuzz wrote: We stopped shooting 10 minutes early because we were so close on both limits and too many were still working us.

Why? Just curious...were you worried about specific bird ID? As in, you already had your black ducks or 2 bluebills....

We had about 150 ducks that were 99% mallards tornadoing over our spread with 10 minutes left, we could only shoot 3 more mallards and had 5 people gunning. Geese were pretty much done flying according to scouting. Not worth shooting that late into that many ducks and messing them up for another day for 3 of them, or risk going over our limit.
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Markd » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:42 pm

Sounds like you needed an extra gun there, I'm right across the river buddy. :hi:
Markd
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:30 am

tried layout again for divers today. saw 200+ fly up the river at legal light, then nothing. heard a few quacks in the fog about the same time. i was the only one hunting from the md side, one boat came in from va and had some shots at geese. think they got a couple.

only thing that was good about today was seeing 3 swans on the water. thought they were buffies in the dark/fog until i realized they were way off. :oops:
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Jfk1700 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:42 am

ohioboy wrote:tried layout again for divers today. saw 200+ fly up the river at legal light, then nothing. heard a few quacks in the fog about the same time. i was the only one hunting from the md side, one boat came in from va and had some shots at geese. think they got a couple.

only thing that was good about today was seeing 3 swans on the water. thought they were buffies in the dark/fog until i realized they were way off. :oops:

Thats discouraging. Would have thought with the marshes locked up there would be more activity. Fog makes and rain makes it tough though..
Jfk1700
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:52 am

I think I might hit the river for the last time this season this afternoon. Its not getting any lower this week than it is today. Hope to scratch out a few ducks, been seeing a decent amount of mallards and goldeneye showing up the last 2 weeks out there. It'd be a nice change from the regular 1 black duck days I've been having out there
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:27 am

marshes were solid. would guess that no hunters-i checked the usual spots to see if anyone was out-let the birds rest. rain later today will get them moving i would guess and if they can see the decoys, they are coming in.

go get 'em buzz.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:20 am

Saw a nice variety out there yesterday afternoon. Highlights included a bald eagle vs seagull fight, had a pair of pinnies give the dekes a look. And watched 5 canvasbacks that had to have been lost float by out of gun range. It was cool watching them in the binos though. Got a little bit of shooting in at some blacks and mallards. Water level is on the rise though, doubt ill be back out there for ducks this season unless it comes back down significantly by saturday
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:52 am

Thanks for the update Buzz.
I'm scrubbing my work calendar looking for possible days to play hookey.
People at work just don't understand. I may need a new employer.
GD

Edited 01/24 1320: I don't have to play Hokey. :yes:
Grey Dog
hunter

Last Chance

Postby Grey Dog » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:39 pm

According to the NOAA, the river is going to be angry come Saturday. So I guess there's only one thing to do and that's go out Friday and see what's what. This may be my last outing for Ducks this year. Rainy and cloudy but not much wind...oh boy!
GD

Grey Dog
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:59 am

I was surprised at noaas hydrograph too. Saturdays forecast came out yesterday and went from 5.2 Friday night to 10.3 Saturday morning. A duck isn't worth my life, id get after em today and tomorrow morning
PSUbuzz
hunter

Friday Potomac

Postby Grey Dog » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:37 am

I hear that PSU. Probably go in the AM and get off the river early too. Also, not going to venture far from the ramp. Looks like Saturday, pardon the pun, is a wash. Have to find a pond some where.
Good luck and be safe.
GD
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:02 am

Probably going to try a flooded field just off the river myself. I figure with the river coming up birds will be getting off it and heading for ponds. I got a spot that puddles up nicely between the river and a roost. Ill see if I can't cut a few off
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby papageno » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:24 pm

Potomac's best when the river's up. The birds feed on the flooded eddy sandbars.
papageno
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:48 pm

well if 4 ft is normal by me, and its 4.6 right now (thursday night) and its supposed to be 11.5 by saturday night... im thinking white caps and chocolate covered water and raging rapids might make it difficult to get to any sandbars you think you might be hunting saturday morning. Id have a plan B if i were you guys
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:53 am

papageno wrote:Potomac's best when the river's up. The birds feed on the flooded eddy sandbars.

Like Buzz said. Hunt the river Saturday and you could be famous, even make the evening news! :yes:

The river has been high all hunting season. It's going to be stupid high Saturday!
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby slicendice » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:12 pm

They've made a major revision to the river forecast. It's at 4.2 now and is supposed to peak at 6.2 by Saturday evening. That's still a little high, but not 11.2 high.
2013-2014 season totals
1 Bufflehead
1 Gadwall
1 Black duck
1 Hoody
3 Mergs
3 Cans
4 Geese
4 Wood ducks
1 Mallard
3 doe
1 buck
1 fall turkey
slicendice
hunter

Postby RickC » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:24 pm

slicendice wrote:They've made a major revision to the river forecast. It's at 4.2 now and is supposed to peak at 6.2 by Saturday evening. That's still a little high, but not 11.2 high.

Where do you get the river forecast from? I know about the real time data on the web, but having a forecast would be a big help in planning.
RickC
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting