Upper Potomac

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Re: Upper Potomac

Postby papageno » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:26 pm

Best week I ever had out there (actually anywhere, it was amazing) the river was described as 'Life Threatening' and highs were in the teens... I'm with you, though - I have a family now.

To be little helpful. When the river is high, it floods back up the tributaries and makes calm flooded eddies. There are some tribs that can be accessed without going into the mainstem. The sandbar points, where the normally fast flowing little tribs enter, flood over. There are also some islands that the downstream side does the same - but you have to get to them. It is actually easier to get around when the water is way up as the surface is flat and regular and most obstacles are well submerged. It is scary, any mistake-you die. Unless it's warm, you're pretty much a goner even when the water is low, though.
papageno
hunter

At Least I Got Out

Postby Grey Dog » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:31 pm

It was an interesting day. Rain...Fog...Wind...Way too warm...Hardly any birds. Saw a few early and then a couple when the fog went away and the wind picked up for a bit. Did not hear a single honker. Stayed out til 1300 too. So much for the 2011 Duck season. :beer:

GD
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby slicendice » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:09 pm

Rick, the noaa site
has real time data as well as predictions.
2013-2014 season totals
1 Bufflehead
1 Gadwall
1 Black duck
1 Hoody
3 Mergs
3 Cans
4 Geese
4 Wood ducks
1 Mallard
3 doe
1 buck
1 fall turkey
slicendice
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:40 pm

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/index.ph ... 8,2,9,15,6

gives forecast

http://md.water.usgs.gov/

gives water temp

anyone got a spot on the potomac-rileys to edwards- in the am? i got everything but a big boat. if not, guess i will brave the waters since the river did not go as high as expected. i will be in the layout with divers, smoking, drinking coffee and praying no one shoots at my decoys.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:48 am

40ish ducks, about the same number of geese. nothing close enough to even pick up the gun. some shooting early by other groups, but not much. nice sunrise, bad year. river was not to high or dirty at all.
ohioboy
hunter

One Ends & Another Begins

Postby Grey Dog » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:02 pm

There are good weekends and there are great weekends. There are no bad weekends. The same may be said for Duck Seasons. :thumbsup:
Now looking forward to a little Resident Goose, NoVA Antlerless Deer, Spring Turkey, and Trophy Strippers. :grooving:

GD
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:33 am

papageno wrote:To be little helpful. When the river is high, it floods back up the tributaries and makes calm flooded eddies. There are some tribs that can be accessed without going into the mainstem. The sandbar points, where the normally fast flowing little tribs enter, flood over. .

Lets be clear here. Are you are leaving the Potomac, or not entering the Potomac, to hunt in the tributaries mouth?

If so, you are breaking the law. Maryland owns the Potomac river and bottom and makes it in effect a WMA. The only river/creeks to legal public hunt on are the Cono and Mono and neither can be anchored in as the bottom is privately owned. If you leave the Potomac and anchor in a creek you are anchored on private property and this requires permission. Most Maryland creek mouths are owned by the Park Service and this is probably an even bigger ticket. WV, or VA, require a different out of state license.

Many people do not even know you can be fined for being in a boat on the river and throwing your anchor on shore.

There are spots you can hunt in high water, but you better know that water very well. There are eddys in the main stem if you know where they are. But the water is cold and rough and it's a recipe could earn you a funeral. Go on the refuge and read the story of "The Other David" hunting the Seneca Breaks a couple of year back, '05 maybe? The river level went up and broke sheet ice. One sheet pinned the boat, as they tried to break it loose another pilled on and another. They got up on a rock just before the boat crushed to about 1' wide and did not even have time to get his cell phone. Some time on the rock and the rescue helicopter finally pulled them out.

I have not seen a bird yet worth dying for.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby papageno » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:54 pm

I'm sorry, I came on this thread because I used to hunt the Potomac and love the area. I enjoy participating with a bunch of folks who now do the same. I have offered some friendly input on how I have been successful in the past in hopes that others may benefit from this experience.

I am a bit insulted, in fact, that the reply from the moderator is to imply that I am somehow breaking the law and/or being reckless. Next time, I will send a PM to him first to make sure he is happy with this information. I would suggest leaving the interpretation of MD laws to the officer on the ground and fight in court, if you bother. I can tell you that on several occasions at this site, I exchanged waves with the NPS police helicopter crew and they never harassed me at all - unlike this moderator. I have also had friendly conversations with NRP officers while standing on the bottom of the Monocacy River with my decoy rig - they didn't give me a problem either.

BTW, the bottom of the Potomac is owned by the State but there is no statute that makes it legal to hunt. DNR chooses not to enforce this offense and, thus, allows you to hunt while not strictly floating. In fact, all stream bottoms are owned by the State unless a land owner owns both banks of that creek, but there is no statute that allows the activity of hunting on any creek bottom, including the Potomac.

At flood stages (I have hunted it up to 13'), the river in this area is flat and ice free, and the obstacles deeply submerged. I have taken many people there in a 10' jon with a 2hp motor, including girls.

It's a great place to hunt - carefully.
Potomac003.jpg
River at around 8.5'
Potomac003.jpg (28.46 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
papageno
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:24 am

OK, since you want to question me as if it is a personal attack on you, know the laws before you call some one out! I am not attacking you, I am pointing out that if you are anchoring on the creek bottom, or standing on the creek bottom you are trespassing. Most time laws are broken when hunting through lack of knowledge, not on purpose. No one is accusing you on purposely breaking the law.

I stated the laws as written in the Maryland Hunting regulations and can be read here!
http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/licenses/offshore.asp

The only river and creeks legal without landowner permisison to hunt are the Potomac River, Conococheague Creek and the Monocacy River.
Hunting waterfowl from a boat that is drifting or being sculled (or paddled) was formerly termed "sneakboating". Hunting from a boat that is drifting or being sculled is legal only in specified waters of the state. The specified waters of the state where hunting by this method is allowed are the Sea Duck Zone, the Offshore Waterfowl Hunting Zone (often referred to as the gunning rig zone) and the nontidal waters of the Potomac River, Conococheague Creek and the Monocacy River.

A person hunting waterfowl from a boat that is drifting or being sculled in the nontidal waters of the Potomac River, Conococheague Creek and the Monocacy River must stay at least 250 yards from all licensed offshore stationary blinds or blind sites or any other person hunting waterfowl offshore. However, there is no general requirement to remain a certain distance from shore. There are some areas on the nontidal Potomac River and most of Conococheague Creek and the Monocacy River, where the bottom of the river is privately owned. You may float over these privately owned areas but you may not walk on the bottom unless you have the written permission of the landowner.

Maryland own the bottom of the Potomac, but not other creeks. You are only allowed to float hunt in the Conococheague Creek and the Monocacy River without permission. If you get landowner permission, you can hunt the banks or bottoms of any owned areas of any creek or river. Just because a law officer saw you and did not do anything does not mean you are not wrong. Many Federal Park rangers don't know the game laws and they don't have jurisdiction to enforce Maryland laws. If they question what you do they would stop you on Federal Property and all a MD Ranger.

I talk to the DNR officer any chance I have. I am not only a moderator here on this board but also the MDWFA region 5 director. Your free to call me if you wish, My cell phone number is on the website under region 5. If you think I have something wrong, feel free to point it out and the reference for your opinion. I only stated a fact that if you are hunting on creeks and anchored, you are trespassing. I am not attacking you, but trying to inform you before being fined.

Remember, I am not attacking you, but pointing out the laws as I know them and understand them. This is a discussion not an attack or argument. If you disagree, point out facts and reference to support your position.

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby papageno » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:12 pm

No worries. It's been many years since I've been there - maybe things have changed. Never used to even see anyone else hunting out there.
papageno
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:57 pm

No worries, Now we can share a beer. :beer:

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby PSUbuzz » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:51 am

Going to have to agree with the mod on this one, and in fact there are certain sections of the upper potomac river that are even private bottoms that you aren't allowed to anchor in. DNR doesn't really mark these on any maps or announce them on their website but believe me if you start shooting in those stretches the private owners are quick on the phone with NRP and park service.
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby papageno » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:53 am

Like I said, I was trying to talk about duck hunting.

Apparently, this forum is not particularly interested in that subject.

Sorry for spoiling you fun... It'll be the last time.
papageno
hunter

Postby Dee Tee » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:38 am

papageno wrote:
It's a great place to hunt - carefully.
Potomac003.jpg

I hunt that spot too and have to agree that it is totally legal. (Don't need pics of all the good spots on the internet though :hammer: )

I have to disagree with the idea that a statue is need to make something legal, ie. hunting from the bottom of the Potomac. Conversely, I understand such statutes to be restrictive in nature, stating what may not be done. DNR guidelines clearly state that hunting while standing on the natural bottom of the Potomac, is not prohibited. Just my 2 cents.
Dee Tee
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:17 am

Buzz is correct and know his stuff. I don't remember all the spots, but it's something like the City of Brunswick (I think) own the river bottom. Also hunting is off limits partially in Montgomery County, but I don't remember the cut off line.

Dee Tee, Yes, anyone can stand on the Potomac river bottom and hunt. It's only the Cono and Mono where you cannot stand on the bottom.

Papageno, Relax, and you are perfectly allowed to talk about duck hunting all you wish. No one edited your posts or anything. Nothing like that happens unless you cuss, are abusive to some one else, or Spam the forum and I have not seen you do anything like that.

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby RickC » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:40 am

nice river hunt this morning, how the hell did all those ducks know the season is over and that it was safe to start showing up?
RickC
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:00 pm

It's like they have Calendar to know the season is over and watches to know it past shooting time. :yes:

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ohioboy » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:57 pm

anyone that is out on the river and sees ducks, would you be so nice as to post it? now that season is done with, i am still curious just to see what shows up, even if it is a little late.

sure seems like a good day to be out, but i had to take the day off.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:00 am

I doubt ill go down to the river anymore this season. The geese are coming in nicely to fields now and we've been putting up some good numbers since duck went out. Went out Saturday and had a very pretty gwt drake land in the goose decoys while we were working one of about 40 flocks we saw that morning. The geese in my area are getting pretty smart. I can tell its late season when they're making 4 and 5 passes over the spread before committing. I went home Saturday afternoon for a nap and the boys went back out to finish off their limits at another spot. They said there was a bunch of teal and pushing 100 mallards in their spread. Absolute craziness seeing teal and woodies every week we were out this season in the rp zone. Must be that global warming al gore was warning us about :biggrin: . Oh well, I still like to see the ducks in these numbers post season to see what will make it back to breed this spring. Good for those ducks, I'm happy for them!
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:26 pm

took the wife out to try out her new kayak and we saw 2 mergansers, 1 woody, 1 comarant and a couple of herons. overall pretty quiet. not one honker which suprised me. smallies should be turning on soon.... :beer:
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:14 am

The smallies are hitting on bottom rigs. Small crayfish on a jig head are good.

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Jfk1700 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:41 pm

Cupped-n-Committed wrote:The smallies are hitting on bottom rigs. Small crayfish on a jig head are good.

Have you fished the breaks near violetts?
Jfk1700
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:09 am

fished Sunday near Shepardstown and only caught fish on a dinger when I put it right in front of them. The cold temps seemed to have shut them down again.

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Jfk1700 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:49 am

Cupped-n-Committed wrote:fished Sunday near Shepardstown and only caught fish on a dinger when I put it right in front of them. The cold temps seemed to have shut them down again.

I hear ya. Haven't had any luck lately.
Jfk1700
hunter

Postby DUzone9 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:57 pm

Hey there everyone! Havent been on for some time! But what a great season so far! Upper potomac is rocking! Even got a Blue wing before the season went out! "Williamsport Md" so post back guys would love to hear how all of you are doing this season so far! :hammer: Thanks Justin
When you hear my third shot,...that's your signal to take em
DUzone9
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting