Snow geese

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

Snow geese

Postby mdfowlman » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:57 pm

Is anyone seeing any snows on the eastern shore. I have a hunt booked for this upcoming wed. Im hoping there will be some in the area.
Thanks guys
mdfowlman
hunter

Re: Snow geese

Postby akdiesel » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:18 pm

I haven't seen a single one yet, we really don't start seeing them until late december/january. Really haven't been seeing any birds in the fields yet either they have mostly been in the water. Good luck to you.

Honkers- 7
BWT- 0.5
Doves- 42
akdiesel
hunter

Snow geese

Postby assateague » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:19 pm

Believe it or not, I started seeing some pretty decent sized flocks last week. Earliest I remember seeing them, and they're not the huge grinds we'll see later, like was said, but there's some here. Lots of nice green cover crops, too, since the weathers been warm. Good luck!
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby mdfowlman » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:07 pm

Well im gonna keep my fingers crossed. We booked with jerry from Delbay and I hear he is the one of the best so I guess we shall see
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby drewsmith » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:24 pm

Actually I was thinking they were late this year. Since the season opens in October, we have not seen too many until the last weekend in October where they first showed up at Bombay Hook. This was a bunch of about 10k and built to about 50k between the two hooks. With the opener of dark geese they seemed to spread out of Kent and Sussex Counties of DE to Cecil, Kent and QA counties in MD and over to Salem County in NJ. I am going to throw out a guess and say in this area there are about 150k. A huntable population, but the out of the 1.1M Greaters that come down the AF, about 600k will stay for months in these six counties. The first groups are usually the non-breeding birds (all white adults) and they semm to have come and gone and are now spread out to VA and NC. Many birds passed us here and the numbers down south are building also. However, judgeing by the counts in the flyway less than half of our birds are actually here.

The good part is the mix of birds, lot's of juvies. These young gray birds are easy to kill since they decoy so well. There are very few people hunting them right now and they will be relatively unpressured. MD has extended the conservation order into the split (DE only has it after 2.1.12) and you can use e-caller. Many of these young birds have not been exposed to this yet. Dark Goose just went out today in DE and MD today, so you have the first week of it.

Jerry scouts a bunch and done many huge hunts. Great guy. You will help set the decoys (pick up also) out in the morning so dress in layers. You wear tyvek suits and sit in chairs right in the decoys. Bring sunglasses. You will hunt upwind of the spread and probably look right into the sun. Very weather dependent and I love hunting them in the wind. Good luck, have fun and stay safe.
drewsmith
hunter

Postby akdiesel » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:46 pm

How did it go?

Honkers- 7
BWT- 0.5
Doves- 42
akdiesel
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:39 am

Uh we seen about 400-500 birds no where near as many as the guide had been seeing and we only had,one come in which we all blasted the hell out of. But jerry the owner of delbay invited us back this upcoming sat free of charge. Real standup guy. Conditions were great just bot enough birds. I was amazed when I got there we hunted a field with 5200 decoys it was insane
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby Bay Bob » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:49 am

mdfowlman wrote:Uh we seen about 400-500 birds no where near as many as the guide had been seeing and we only had,one come in which we all blasted the hell out of. But jerry the owner of delbay invited us back this upcoming sat free of charge. Real standup guy. Conditions were great just bot enough birds. I was amazed when I got there we hunted a field with 5200 decoys it was insane

That is the story with snow geese - - - and why their numbers are so large - - - they are unpredictable and very difficult to hunt !

Were those 5200 decoys out, or did you all have to put them out - - If I put out 50 decoys I need a nap :biggrin:
Bay Bob
hunter

Postby mighty mike » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:46 pm

Big props for him inviting you back free of charge. Not having but one spot of a friends to hunt sometimes I've been trying several guides and had both good and very bad experiences and never in last 3-4 years had one offer a free hunt. Offered a discount by one or two and just told that's the way it goes by another. I'll keep him in mind for my next snow goose hunt.
mighty mike
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:01 pm

no no they were already set its a rig he leaves out.
I was very suprised by his offer thats why i will be recommending him to anyone thats looking to get the snows.
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby njgoosekiller » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:03 pm

I am planning to book a hunt in NJ late February early March with him. He sounds like a good guy so I like I'm going to book a hunt with him.
njgoosekiller
hunter

Postby mighty mike » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:46 pm

How did the Saturday hunt go?
mighty mike
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:33 am

Had to push the date back some guys in my group couldnr make it sat
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby Aunt Bee » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:32 am

I was with Sean Mann in Alberta Oct 5-9 and because of the warm weather they were LATE there also. We limited on snows one day but not the others. Limits of Canadas & Specs & ducks on ALL days.
Aunt Bee
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting