Can I hunt here?

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

Can I hunt here?

Postby snapshotmd » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:49 pm

I'm having an arguement with one of my buddies. I'm trying to get into duck hunting and he keeps insisting I'm too late getting into the season because ALL areas were reserved by a lottery. I look on the DNR site and the only lottery I see is the one they use for the PUBLIC hunting areas, like the state parks. He mentioned stuff like blind markers, all sites decided upon back in August, can't hunt on private land, etc. All are correct, but these are specific hunting regs for specific areas, and I think my friend is confusing things.

For the non-specific areas, my arguement is that all waters are state property from the "mean high tide" line on out. As long as I hunt at least 150 yds away from any populated structures, and there are no notices preventing me from hunting, any area can be hunted by any properly licenced hunter who gets there first.

So, if I got my hunting license, state migratory and federal conservation stamps, and I did my scouting and found an area that is not a state park, that is in the water, and is far enough away from houses, then I could hunt that spot. Correct?
2014-15
3 Canada Geese
snapshotmd
hunter

Re: Can I hunt here?

Postby gr8white » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:29 am

Your gonna have to pay 20$ to license the spot you want to hunt....which you have until the last day of the 2011/2012 to do.
gr8white
hunter

Postby akdiesel » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:11 am

You need to scout out areas you would like to hunt, then go to Annapolis and pull the blind site maps to see if it is locked up by the land owner or another hunter. If it is not you pay $20 and get that spot for you and you only for the waterfowl hunting season. I know it doesn't make much sense because water ways are public but this is what the state came up with to keep land owners happy. This way if they don't want hunters sitting outside their house shooting they can lock it up and no one can hunt there. Also keeps everyone "safe" away from each other and houses. Now you can sea duck hunt in the sea duck zone and have to be 800yds off shore and don't need to register that.
In short yes your buddy is kinda right, if you want to hunt a creek, small river, or area not in the sea duck zone you need to obtain a blind site permit for that specific spot you want to hunt. There is a lottery for blind sites and that was Aug 1, but at any time you can go to DNR in Annapolis and pull the maps to see what is open. To give you a very vauge gideline for what is locked up by land owners you can go to http://dnrweb.dnr.state.md.us/gis/blind ... index.html and look around. Everything in the red you can't hunt w/in 150yds. Then you need to pull the maps at DNR to see where others have put their "boxes" and see if there is somewhere you can put your "box". Hope this helps. If you call DNR you will not get straight answers unless you get a hold of the field agent for the area you want to hunt. For some reason the field agents are the only ones that really know the regs to the blind sites.

Honkers- 7
BWT- 0.5
Doves- 42
akdiesel
hunter

Postby Bay Bob » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:22 pm

Here is the nut of the law - - - you may only waterfowl hunt in specific areas and situations - - -

NATURAL RESOURCES
TITLE 10. WILDLIFE
SUBTITLE 6. WILD WATERFOWL

Md. NATURAL RESOURCES Code Ann. § 10-606 (2011)

§ 10-606. Hunting from an anchored boat

(a) Permissible locations. -- A person may hunt wild waterfowl from a boat that is anchored only in:

(1) The nontidal waters of the Potomac River;

(2) The waters of the Susquehanna Flats, Elk River, and that portion of the Sassafras River in Cecil County located west of 75 degrees 58 minutes 45 seconds;

(3) The waters of Chincoteague Bay, Sinepuxent Bay, Isle of Wight, Assawoman Bay, and their respective tributaries in Worcester County;

(4) The waters of Tangier Sound, Fishing Bay, Monie Bay, Manokin River, Big Annemessex River, Pocomoke Sound, and Kedges Straits in the waters of Dorchester, Somerset, and Wicomico counties; or

(5) Zones prescribed by the Department by regulation.

(b) Licensed offshore blind sites. -- A person may hunt wild waterfowl from a boat that is anchored at a licensed offshore stationary blind or blind site.

(c) Distance requirements -- Blind sites. -- A person hunting wild waterfowl from a boat that is anchored shall remain 250 yards from all offshore stationary blinds or blind sites or another person hunting wild waterfowl offshore.

(d) Distance requirements -- From shore. --

(1) A person hunting wild waterfowl from a boat that is anchored shall be at least 800 yards from shore including shore emerging at mean low water except in the waters of the Potomac River, in the waters of the Susquehanna Flats, in the waters of Harford, Baltimore, and St. Mary's counties, in the waters of Tangier Sound, Fishing Bay, Monie Bay, Manokin River, Big Annemessex River, Pocomoke Sound, and Kedges Straits in the waters of Dorchester, Somerset, and Wicomico counties, or unless anchored at a licensed offshore stationary blind or blind site.

(2) A person hunting wild waterfowl from a boat that is anchored shall be at least 400 yards from shore, including shore emerging at mean low water, in the following areas:

(i) The waters of the Susquehanna Flats;

(ii) The tidal waters of the Potomac River that the Department by regulation prescribes for hunting under subsection (a)(5) of this section; and

(iii) The waters of Harford, Baltimore, and St. Mary's counties that the Department by regulation prescribes for hunting under subsection (a)(5) of this section; and

(iv) The waters of Tangier Sound, Fishing Bay, Monie Bay, Manokin River, Big Annemessex River, Pocomoke Sound, and Kedges Straits in the waters of Dorchester, Somerset, and Wicomico counties that the Department by regulation prescribes for hunting under subsection (a)(5) of this section.

(e) Nonresident hunters. -- Except at a licensed stationary blind or blind site, a nonresident may not hunt wild waterfowl from a boat that is anchored unless accompanied by a Maryland resident.
Bay Bob
hunter

Postby snapshotmd » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:50 pm

LMAO!!! Oh for crying out loud! Why don't they mention this in the "what you need to hunt waterfowl" list online??? This is critical info!

Where do they state this? I don't think I ever saw this mentioned on the DNR site.

OK, so what are my options for hunting the late season? Sounds like I really do have to know someone to take me out hunting? So much for people telling me to go out on my own.

Now, I'm thinking of doing the daily blind reservations at the state parks. Any surprises here? The way I read it, I'm supposed to pay $35 annually for a MHP and call to reserve a blind the day before I hunt?

This is funny. One of the areas I scouted I thought would not be huntable because a trailer park is right next to it, but the map has no restrictions for that area. So if I went to the licensing location for the county the spot is in, I could buy a blind license in that area?
2014-15
3 Canada Geese
snapshotmd
hunter

Postby Dog Tired » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:54 pm

i'm assuming there are this many barriers in the way for a good reason, but you know what happens when you assume...

i guess it could be worse, but wow, its like having rules just to have them.
Dog Tired
hunter

Postby akdiesel » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:58 pm

snapshotmd wrote:LMAO!!! Oh for crying out loud! Why don't they mention this in the "what you need to hunt waterfowl" list online??? This is critical info!

Where do they state this? I don't think I ever saw this mentioned on the DNR site.

OK, so what are my options for hunting the late season? Sounds like I really do have to know someone to take me out hunting? So much for people telling me to go out on my own.

Now, I'm thinking of doing the daily blind reservations at the state parks. Any surprises here? The way I read it, I'm supposed to pay $35 annually for a MHP and call to reserve a blind the day before I hunt?

This is funny. One of the areas I scouted I thought would not be huntable because a trailer park is right next to it, but the map has no restrictions for that area. So if I went to the licensing location for the county the spot is in, I could buy a blind license in that area?

As long as you are 150yds away from the nearest trailer yes its all you!

Honkers- 7
BWT- 0.5
Doves- 42
akdiesel
hunter

Postby akdiesel » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:00 pm

There is a measuring tool on that map I linked that you can see where you need to be. You don't have to be any certain distance off the shore, you can make the "box" fit if you need to.

Honkers- 7
BWT- 0.5
Doves- 42
akdiesel
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:33 pm

At this point all the spots worth having are locked up. But there is some good hunting to be had at the wma's on the eastern shore u just have to scout
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby Bay Bob » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:45 pm

snapshotmd wrote:LMAO!!! Oh for crying out loud! Why don't they mention this in the "what you need to hunt waterfowl" list online??? This is critical info!

Here are the maps of th public huntiung areas - - - check them all out some hove duck blinds (or blindsites) and goose pits - - -

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/Publiclands/allwmabyregion.asp
Bay Bob
hunter

Postby snapshotmd » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:35 pm

Bay Bob wrote: (2) A person hunting wild waterfowl from a boat that is anchored shall be at least 400 yards from shore, including shore emerging at mean low water, in the following areas:

(i) The waters of the Susquehanna Flats;

(ii) The tidal waters of the Potomac River that the Department by regulation prescribes for hunting under subsection (a)(5) of this section; and

(iii) The waters of Harford, Baltimore, and St. Mary's counties that the Department by regulation prescribes for hunting under subsection (a)(5) of this section; and

(iv) The waters of Tangier Sound, Fishing Bay, Monie Bay, Manokin River, Big Annemessex River, Pocomoke Sound, and Kedges Straits in the waters of Dorchester, Somerset, and Wicomico counties that the Department by regulation prescribes for hunting under subsection (a)(5) of this section.

I was intending on hunting in Harford Co in a canoe. I was going to make this canoe into something like a floating layout blind that is anchored. The quoted reg says I cannot hunt from an anchored boat unless I'm 400 yds from the shoreline, which totally messes me up. So I'm thinking this means that I could only paddle my gear out to my blind site, stow the canoe, then squat in place? I see almost all the blind sites on the map that akdiesel provided to be right by shoreline. Is everyone squatting?
2014-15
3 Canada Geese
snapshotmd
hunter

Postby akdiesel » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:44 am

That 400yd rule is for areas that the state does not blind site. You can hunt from your boat at your blind site, or stand in the water.

Honkers- 7
BWT- 0.5
Doves- 42
akdiesel
hunter

Postby snapshotmd » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:33 am

OK, the work I've been putting into the canoe is not for nothing. whew!

I can't apply for a blind site this year since I haven't hunted anything in a while. It states that I must have a license from last year, or the previous year to apply.

I guess it's either hunting at a WMA/MHA or hooking up with someone until next year.
2014-15
3 Canada Geese
snapshotmd
hunter

Postby Biguglygreenboat » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:04 am

The "hunting last year" part is just for the lottery day. That was put into place because guys would show up with a bus load of people (not hunters) to better their odds of drawing a good number. You can go to the Bel Air office of DNR (located in the courthouse) and tell them you want to get a blindsite. They will let you look at the map and see if the spot is already reserved. If not, they will let you buy it for $20. Just beware, it's YOUR responsibility to make sure its a legal spot. They will sell you any spot you request as long as the box that they use as a measuring device fits on the map. You have to make sure it is 150 yards from an occupied dwelling. What part of Harford County do you live in? PM me and I will fill you in on some of the opportunities that are local if you need help.
My wife says I don't pay enough attention to her...or something like that. I really wasn't listening.
Biguglygreenboat
hunter

Postby dekeburt » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:17 pm

Snapshot, there are some opportunities on public land around you - eg. days cove, susq. river, elk neck - but be careful. This year has been pretty warm, but I wouldn't want to be out in a canoe when things start freezing up like last year. Days Cove probably has some of the more protected sites, but you may end up paddling quite a ways. Call me lazy, but I decided not to do the kayak thing after paddling out there and spending 50 min paddling (including a portage) to get to the nearest blind site (in the daylight without the added weight of decoys and grass).
dekeburt
hunter

Postby snapshotmd » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:57 am

I've got one of those Coleman Ram-x canoes and it's got a pretty wide beam for it's length. Just as long as I don't shoot standing up, I should be fine. What I intend to do is to make a ghille suit with doors for the canoe... so, it's going to be a floating layout blind. I'll be laying down inside of it until hammer time.
2014-15
3 Canada Geese
snapshotmd
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting