Assateague

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

Assateague

Postby The Butcher » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:58 am

I'm looking for some general information on hunting assateague. Thinking of giving it a shot this season. Does anyone hunt there? I'm not looking for which blinds are best or people's spots. I'm just trying to figure where I can use my boat vs walk in or OSV. I have a truck and boat so should be able to access most spots. The maps are a little confusing and I'm not quite sure how the lottery works. Any info on what kind of birds is helpful as well. I'm figuring it will be a mixed bag. Thanks in advance.
Terp Nut
The Butcher
hunter

Re: Assateague

Postby Seagull » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:01 pm

i hunted there alot years ago but not for several years.the lottery is easy just pick a ball and wait for your number,it can get quite crowded on the weekend.if you are going to hunt the island on a regular basis get the offroad permit since that is what you'll need to reach most blinds.as far as the ducks its mostly buffleheads and blacks but you can get just about any duck down there,i have shot quite a wide variety of species there.i've have some good shoots on the island but that is the exception not the rule.it is an awesome place to be even though the duck hunting isn't that great.
if you have any questions don't hesitate to call or ask one of the rangers in person.from my experience they have always been very helpful.good luck!
Seagull
hunter

Postby tin_can » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:39 pm

nice place haven't been in a couple of years not since they started charging $ to hunt.
tin_can
Newb

Postby Seagull » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:01 pm

how much do they charge? last time i was there you were go to go because of the federal duck stamp.
Seagull
hunter

Postby mpollinger » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:59 pm

http://www.nps.gov/asis/planyourvisit/u ... t-plan.pdf

The above website may be able to assist you in any questions you may have. Good luck and post your luck if you go please..... or a pm would be fine too. lol

Mick
mpollinger
hunter

Postby assateague » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:53 pm

They charge a $20 fee on top of all the other stamps/licenses. It's to pay for the upkeep of the blinds, and a couple of the wardens/rangers are good guys and have actually pushed to have a couple new blinds built, with a couple more scheduled. There are maybe 4 spots you can hunt from a boat (I think 3 are boat-in only, not sure), but the water is VERY shallow getting to a couple of them, I'm talking barely over my instep, without a storm tide.

The lottery starts at 5 am. Don't bother getting there before 4:45, since there's no rangers there, and you'll just wait in the parking lot til they show up. It doesn't matter when you get there, either. One person from each group draws a ping pong ball, and that determines the order of picking, not the blind number. I would recommend the $90 for the OSV tag, though, since without it you can only hunt 2 blinds and 2 areas. Any questions, let me know. I hunt there about 95% of the time.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting