Finally - - - at long last - - -

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.


Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Finally - - - at long last - - -

Postby Bay Bob » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:21 am

I saw a nice flock of Buffies on my spot just outside of Solomons harbor - - -

I know Buffies are not a "glamour duck" but they are our staple here - - - and Smoked Buffy Jerky ain't half bad - - -

Cut the breasts into quarter inch strips,marinate in a suce of equal parts water / soy sauce, seasoned with fresh ginger root, garlic, and sugar to taste - - - then into the smoker for a couple of hours - - - makes a great snack - - -


Edited to change teriyaki to soy sauce :fingerhead:
Last edited by Bay Bob on Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Bay Bob
hunter
 
Posts: 1167
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:04 pm
Location: Solomons MD


Re: Finally - - - at long last - - -

Postby flightcancelled » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:17 pm

Mmmmmmm.....sounds good!
flightcancelled
hunter
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: Finally - - - at long last - - -

Postby The Butcher » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:37 am

Nothing wrong with some buffie gunning. I love shooting those butterballs and actually think they're a good looking duck. Waiting to get one back from the taxidermist. will give your recipe a go.
Terp Nut
The Butcher
hunter
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:03 pm

Re: Finally - - - at long last - - -

Postby gaggleman » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:36 am

Bay Bob wrote:I saw a nice flock of Buffies on my spot just outside of Solomons harbor - - -

I know Buffies are not a "glamour duck" but they are our staple here - - - and Smoked Buffy Jerky ain't half bad - - -

Cut the breasts into quarter inch strips,marinate in a suce of equal parts water / soy sauce, seasoned with fresh ginger root, garlic, and sugar to taste - - - then into the smoker for a couple of hours - - - makes a great snack - - -


Edited to change teriyaki to soy sauce :fingerhead:


That sounds like the same spot i was looking at Bob. LOL, just kidding pal. i saw a few knots over by my spots too. i believe these cooler evening we are getting are moving them down here.

The bufflehead is a fun bird to shoot, you could waste half a box of shells on one. they have those little kevlar jackets on em.
gaggleman
hunter
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:15 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: Finally - - - at long last - - -

Postby Bay Bob » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:45 am

gaggleman wrote:
Bay Bob wrote:I saw a nice flock of Buffies on my spot just outside of Solomons harbor - - -

I know Buffies are not a "glamour duck" but they are our staple here - - - and Smoked Buffy Jerky ain't half bad - - -

Cut the breasts into quarter inch strips,marinate in a suce of equal parts water / soy sauce, seasoned with fresh ginger root, garlic, and sugar to taste - - - then into the smoker for a couple of hours - - - makes a great snack - - -


Edited to change teriyaki to soy sauce :fingerhead:


That sounds like the same spot i was looking at Bob. LOL, just kidding pal. i saw a few knots over by my spots too. i believe these cooler evening we are getting are moving them down here.

The bufflehead is a fun bird to shoot, you could waste half a box of shells on one. they have those little kevlar jackets on em.


Yeah ! Their vital area is pretty small unless they are coming right at you - - -

I have a spot licensed either side of the entrance to Solomons harbor because I always see birds on those shallows there.

Neighbors are probably going to raise hell when I hunt it but it is legal, and spots are pretty hard to come by around here - - -

Where are your spots :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I have enough blindsites that I can share if you are desperate for a place to hunt and have a good sized boat - - -
User avatar
Bay Bob
hunter
 
Posts: 1167
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:04 pm
Location: Solomons MD

Re: Finally - - - at long last - - -

Postby gaggleman » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:55 am

I have a few spots in the Potomac side. i hunted the Pax last yr with a gov't guy at the mouth of the Pax and the Chesapeake Bay and tore those BIG Blackheads and goldeneyes and some redheads too. Very nice hunting over there pal. i live in Chaptico, just recently moved from Leonardtown. The wife and bought a house over here.

If you would like to, you are more then welcome to hunt with myself and a cpl buddies over on this side whenever you would like. Doesn't have to be a scratch my back and i scratch yours situation pal. Just one guy doing another a solid is all. Good luck to you this yr and save me a few ducks if you don't mind.
gaggleman
hunter
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:15 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: Finally - - - at long last - - -

Postby Bay Bob » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:01 am

gaggleman wrote:I have a few spots in the Potomac side. i hunted the Pax last yr with a gov't guy at the mouth of the Pax and the Chesapeake Bay and tore those BIG Blackheads and goldeneyes and some redheads too. Very nice hunting over there pal. i live in Chaptico, just recently moved from Leonardtown. The wife and bought a house over here.

If you would like to, you are more then welcome to hunt with myself and a cpl buddies over on this side whenever you would like. Doesn't have to be a scratch my back and i scratch yours situation pal. Just one guy doing another a solid is all. Good luck to you this yr and save me a few ducks if you don't mind.


Friend of mine has a nice big farm on the Potomac - - - and I have considered hunting it several times - - - but everytime I go to scout, there are 3 foot waves rolling in :biggrin:

You really need the right wind for that river - - - or a nice sheltered spot - - -
User avatar
Bay Bob
hunter
 
Posts: 1167
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:04 pm
Location: Solomons MD

Re: Finally - - - at long last - - -

Postby gaggleman » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:10 am

Bay Bob wrote:
gaggleman wrote:I have a few spots in the Potomac side. i hunted the Pax last yr with a gov't guy at the mouth of the Pax and the Chesapeake Bay and tore those BIG Blackheads and goldeneyes and some redheads too. Very nice hunting over there pal. i live in Chaptico, just recently moved from Leonardtown. The wife and bought a house over here.

If you would like to, you are more then welcome to hunt with myself and a cpl buddies over on this side whenever you would like. Doesn't have to be a scratch my back and i scratch yours situation pal. Just one guy doing another a solid is all. Good luck to you this yr and save me a few ducks if you don't mind.


Friend of mine has a nice big farm on the Potomac - - - and I have considered hunting it several times - - - but everytime I go to scout, there are 3 foot waves rolling in :biggrin:

You really need the right wind for that river - - - or a nice sheltered spot - - -


True, that is why when the lottery comes around, we drag 6 of us there and get 2 spots a piece. Pick different spots for when the wind is not in our favor at one of our others. One of the guys that goes to the lottery doesn't like the boat hunting, but will hunt on some of the farms. so, it's nice to have a extra head at the lottery, so you can get as many good spots as possible. :yes:
gaggleman
hunter
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:15 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: Finally - - - at long last - - -

Postby flightcancelled » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:41 am

You got some redheads on base? I have been hunting on base for three years now and have yet to see a redhead. You must know something I don't know. ;)
flightcancelled
hunter
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: Finally - - - at long last - - -

Postby gaggleman » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:11 am

flightcancelled wrote:You got some redheads on base? I have been hunting on base for three years now and have yet to see a redhead. You must know something I don't know. ;)


Hmmmmmmmm, maybe i do, LOL. You Gov't? If so, maybe we can work something out and bring BOB with us. You in BOB? :biggrin: :biggrin:
gaggleman
hunter
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:15 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: Finally - - - at long last - - -

Postby flightcancelled » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:28 am

Yes, I am Gov't. Most of the late season hunting I have done on base has been off of Hog point. Plenty of buffleheads, bluebills, goldeneye, and the occasional long-tail but that is all I have spotted from that area.
flightcancelled
hunter
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: Finally - - - at long last - - -

Postby gaggleman » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:36 am

flightcancelled wrote:Yes, I am Gov't. Most of the late season hunting I have done on base has been off of Hog point. Plenty of buffleheads, bluebills, goldeneye, and the occasional long-tail but that is all I have spotted from that area.


That is where i did mine at as well. there was a knot of redheads there last yr or about 20-30 i guess. all the birds over there were so big man. it was my first time on the Bay side, so i was very impressed. So, you are down from this neck of the woods, a.k.a county?
gaggleman
hunter
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:15 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: Finally - - - at long last - - -

Postby flightcancelled » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:00 am

They are definately big birds! The first bluebill I there I could not believe the size of the head and body. It was a monster! I grew up in central NC. Moved here several years ago and have been hunting on the base ever since. I have started to venture out a little and check out some other areas but I think later in the season it is one of the best spots, especially since I dont have to go far to get to it!
flightcancelled
hunter
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: Finally - - - at long last - - -

Postby gaggleman » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:09 am

I don't blame you one bit. last year we had some very nice weather here for a few weeks and that brought all those good birds here. they were feeding on all those baby spots that got caught in those rocks on the shoreline and died. no wonder their butts got so big.

Well if you have some time and you would like to hook up and go hunting sometime, hit me up on here and we can go. I put the offer out to Bob as well. i give the birds say 2 more weeks and they will be here good. Just need to keep having those cold nights and some cooler days wouldn't hurt either.
gaggleman
hunter
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:15 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: Finally - - - at long last - - -

Postby flightcancelled » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:17 am

Sounds good to me!

My intuition agrees with you. I think as soon as we start to see the first freezing waters the birds are going to push.....and push hard! I just hope I am back in town and in place to do some hunting when that happens.
flightcancelled
hunter
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: Finally - - - at long last - - -

Postby Bay Bob » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:55 am

I wish you guys had been here several years ago when we would typically have 75 Canvasbacks sitting in the decoys on any given day - - - on Goose Creek, but of course they were closed at that time.

Have not had one in the blocks since they became legal - - - figures - - -
User avatar
Bay Bob
hunter
 
Posts: 1167
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:04 pm
Location: Solomons MD

Re: Finally - - - at long last - - -

Postby gaggleman » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:22 am

Bay Bob wrote:I wish you guys had been here several years ago when we would typically have 75 Canvasbacks sitting in the decoys on any given day - - - on Goose Creek, but of course they were closed at that time.

Have not had one in the blocks since they became legal - - - figures - - -


Last year, we saw a few good clips of Canvasbacks. Also, last year was pretty cold too. so, that had alot to do with it. I'm just ready to get out there and do some shooting and hanging out.
gaggleman
hunter
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:15 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: Finally - - - at long last - - -

Postby Bay Bob » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:44 am

gaggleman wrote:
Bay Bob wrote:I wish you guys had been here several years ago when we would typically have 75 Canvasbacks sitting in the decoys on any given day - - - on Goose Creek, but of course they were closed at that time.

Have not had one in the blocks since they became legal - - - figures - - -


Last year, we saw a few good clips of Canvasbacks. Also, last year was pretty cold too. so, that had alot to do with it. I'm just ready to get out there and do some shooting and hanging out.


Yeah man ! Fresh brewed coffee and hot ham-n-egg sammichs taste so much better in the blind !
User avatar
Bay Bob
hunter
 
Posts: 1167
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:04 pm
Location: Solomons MD

Re: Finally - - - at long last - - -

Postby gaggleman » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:01 am

Bob, i have to say. No truer words have ever been spoken sir. Some venison breakfast sausage too, WOW!!!!
gaggleman
hunter
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:15 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: Finally - - - at long last - - -

Postby tcole220 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:09 pm

If any of you guys need someone to tag along with or want to come with me, I'm in Mechanicsville and hunt the Pax a lot too. I'm free most days cause I work from home :) TC
User avatar
tcole220
hunter
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:18 pm
Location: Mechanicsville, MD

Re: Finally - - - at long last - - -

Postby quackhead38 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:53 am

tcole220 wrote:If any of you guys need someone to tag along with or want to come with me, I'm in Mechanicsville and hunt the Pax a lot too. I'm free most days cause I work from home :) TC


I live in chaptico on the Wicomico if you ever wanna go im always free to go whenever :beer:
i need three things in a shotgun, boom boom boom - phil robertson
quackhead38
hunter
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:34 pm
Location: southern md


Return to Maryland Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest