Decoy Spread ?

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

Decoy Spread ?

Postby GHGHntr » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:51 pm

I am looking to get some GHG floater duck dekes and am having a hard time trying to figure out what I want to get.

I am looking ot get around 18-24 decoys and am probably going to get all mallards, but was wondering if I should mix some other species in my spread.

I dont usually hunt ducks so I am fairly new to duck hunting in a sense, but hunt geese constantly.

I hunt on the Pax River in Calvert County and dont know too much about the species of ducks that are around there.

Should I mix my spread with different species, or stay with mallards? What species should I mix in if I do decide to do so?
Lock'em & Rock'em
GHGHntr
hunter

Re: Decoy Spread ?

Postby flightcancelled » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:55 am

Obviously, you want to match the ducks you are seeing to those in your spread. Are you hunting further up the Pax or are you hunting big water farther downriver? Are you seeing puddlers, or divers? That will give you an indication of what type of dekes you want out in front of you.
flightcancelled
hunter

Postby Bay Bob » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:59 am

I would not use mallards in an open water set up, they just do not have the visibility.

My favorite decoy is the old. swivel head, big eye, mallard size, Flambeau bufflehead. I have three dozen and wish I had ten !

I have had my best luck over the years (25 hunting the Patuxent) using bufflehead or bluebill decoys - - - the white shows up a long way off, and mallards come to them readily - - -

I would haunt e-bay for old Flambeaus with the big replaceable eye, the paint on these is stellar and I have some that are 30 years old - - -

My second choice would be the GHG Oversized Buffleheads - - - nothing shows as much white - - -

Bay Bob
hunter

Postby GHGHntr » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:55 am

flightcancelled wrote:Obviously, you want to match the ducks you are seeing to those in your spread. Are you hunting further up the Pax or are you hunting big water farther downriver? Are you seeing puddlers, or divers? That will give you an indication of what type of dekes you want out in front of you.

As of right now I do not know what the ducks look like because I am at school in Frostburg until I get out December 20.
Lock'em & Rock'em
GHGHntr
hunter

Postby GHGHntr » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:03 am

Bay Bob wrote:I would not use mallards in an open water set up, they just do not have the visibility.

My favorite decoy is the old. swivel head, big eye, mallard size, Flambeau bufflehead. I have three dozen and wish I had ten !

I have had my best luck over the years (25 hunting the Patuxent) using bufflehead or bluebill decoys - - - the white shows up a long way off, and mallards come to them readily - - -

I would haunt e-bay for old Flambeaus with the big replaceable eye, the paint on these is stellar and I have some that are 30 years old - - -

My second choice would be the GHG Oversized Buffleheads - - - nothing shows as much white - - -

I see you are in Solomons. I am in Dunkirk. I will be hunting mostly public land because my farm is about a 1/4 mile off the river and dont usually see too many ducks up that way, although me and my dad did see two on Thanksgiving morning. Will be hunting out of Kings Landing public land and maybe the public land off of Ferry Landing Road, but I've heard that it is an absolute ***** to get to the blind at that site.

I was thinking about getting a few divers with the spread but wasn't too sure about it.

Here is what the blind site looks like on the Kings Landing property.

Do you think that if I get some mallards I should mix in some divers?
Attachments
blind site.jpg
Lock'em & Rock'em
GHGHntr
hunter

Postby flightcancelled » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:50 am

Definitely need some divers. As Baybob said, mallards will come into divers as well. I would make sure I had some buffleheads and maybe some bluebill dekes in the spread. The more white, the more it shows up.
flightcancelled
hunter

Postby Bay Bob » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:37 am

" see you are in Solomons. I am in Dunkirk. I will be hunting mostly public land because my farm is about a 1/4 mile off the river and dont usually see too many ducks up that way, although me and my dad did see two on Thanksgiving morning. Will be hunting out of Kings Landing public land and maybe the public land off of Ferry Landing Road, but I've heard that it is an absolute ***** to get to the blind at that site."

I would kill to have a farm 1/4 mile from the river - - -

If you would leave some standing corn and build a pond or an impoundment you would easily pull birds that 1/4 mile - - -

We leased a little pond for a while, left some standing corn and killed a lot of birds - - and we were a lot farther than a 1/4 mile from the Potomac.
Bay Bob
hunter

Postby GHGHntr » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:46 pm

Bay Bob wrote:" see you are in Solomons. I am in Dunkirk. I will be hunting mostly public land because my farm is about a 1/4 mile off the river and dont usually see too many ducks up that way, although me and my dad did see two on Thanksgiving morning. Will be hunting out of Kings Landing public land and maybe the public land off of Ferry Landing Road, but I've heard that it is an absolute ***** to get to the blind at that site."

I would kill to have a farm 1/4 mile from the river - - -

If you would leave some standing corn and build a pond or an impoundment you would easily pull birds that 1/4 mile - - -

We leased a little pond for a while, left some standing corn and killed a lot of birds - - and we were a lot farther than a 1/4 mile from the Potomac.

I wish we could leave some standing corn, but the corn is all sweet corn and is usually cut down by mid August or so. I am thinking of taking one of the fields that is not used so much anymore and planting some field corn just to let it stand there and then cut it right before the season. May also buy some winter wheat or something to that nature and plant it in another field. I would like to build a pond on the farm, but my uncle owns the majority of the land that it would be worth putting on and my dad owns the other half, and I know that they would both say not only no, but hell no to that.

Last year was the most ducks that I have ever seen fly over the house, probably around 50-70 a night, and I am pretty sure it was due to the cold temps that we had that froze up stuff.

I am probably going to get a dozen mallards and then a dozen assorted divers. I need to scout first though and I cant get home to do that until I graduate December 20. I will probably go to one of the public land spots Christmas morning during the middle of the day to see what is there and give me an idea of what I need to get.
Lock'em & Rock'em
GHGHntr
hunter

Postby The Butcher » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:47 pm

As BB said, buffleheads are good as is the good old blue bill. I use blue bill dekes as kind of my standard diver with some bufs and cans mixed in. Lots of white that shows at a distance. Mallards will come into a diver spread although I usually throw out a token greenhead or two. If you're hunting divers I would get some magnum dekes as well.
Terp Nut
The Butcher
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:24 pm

ghg buffies are durable as hell. i beat the crap out of mine, shoot them, throw them, drag them and let my 2 1/2 year old niece play with them and they look great. if you shoot them, patch them and they are good as new. i suggest long-lining them in some sort of fashion. pm if you want pictures or details.
ohioboy
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting