Freelance Trip

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Freelance Trip

Postby Farmpond » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:07 pm

Looking into a freelance do it yourself trip for next year to ND SD or Canada? Was wondering if any of you guys have done this before? Any and all info do's donts should have done this would be great! thanks in advance
Farmpond
hunter

Re: Freelance Trip

Postby Biguglygreenboat » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:15 am

We've been freelancing in ND since 2007. It's a great trip and we always seem to shoot more birds in a week than we do the rest of the year here. If you are planning on driving (we always do) it can be anywhere between 24-30 hours depending on the traffic and where you go. It will cost you about $140 or so in tolls and you figure out the gas (about 3000 miles round trip + scouting miles). If you do your homework, you can rent a house for about $20/night per person. You will have the most fun if you stay away from the more "famous" areas as these are generally posted more often than not. The people out there are some of the most hospitable you will find anywhere in the country and we usually get permission when we ask for it. The birds are often times spread out due to the large amount of water and food so scouting is a must. Make sure you abide by the laws as far as transporting your birds are concerned because game wardens are active and will check to make sure of it. I was hesitant on my first trip but we had a blast. I now look forward to the trip every year and even when the locals say the birds "aren't here yet" you will still find an ample supply as compared to what we have here. Good luck!
My wife says I don't pay enough attention to her...or something like that. I really wasn't listening.
Biguglygreenboat
hunter

Postby drewsmith » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:05 am

Get a copy of the PLOTS maps
drewsmith
hunter

Postby Farmpond » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:10 am

Thanks a ton you guys that helps!!!!!!!!!!
Farmpond
hunter

Postby Farmpond » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:19 am

What time of year do you go out and how many days do you plan for?????? As a rule of thumb?
Farmpond
hunter

Postby Biguglygreenboat » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:03 pm

We have been going the 3rd week of October but are considering moving it to the last week next year. We shot mostly local birds this year as the warm weather was impacting the migrators but still had PLENTY of them around. It you plan on hunting the potholes, it can be questionable to move it any more as we have encountered ice in previous years. We generally head out on Friday at about 12 and drive straight through. That puts us in the populated areas at the best times and we avoid most of the traffic. We get out there Saturday midday and after getting settled in we get a few hours scouting. We look for an easy hunt for Sunday morning and then use the rest of the day for more scouting. We generally hunt through Saturday morning and then head back afterwards. It is a tiring schedule but well worth it. Take your camera, plenty of clothes (it can range from warm to bitter cold) and a few "local" items to pass on to the landowners as thank you gifts. I guarantee you will forge some lifelong friendships while you're out there and will look forward to visiting them in years to come. In fact, we just got done making arrangements to send Christmas hams to our favorite hosts.
My wife says I don't pay enough attention to her...or something like that. I really wasn't listening.
Biguglygreenboat
hunter

Postby Itflysitdys » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:33 am

Man this sounds like a hell of a time, i would be interested in joining you if yo have an extra spot available.
Itflysitdys
hunter

Postby Bay Bob » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:48 am

For all you folks that crave a trip north - - - I have a friend who leases a family farm with a bunkhouse in Saskatchewan every fall, and I seem to recall it even including meals prepared by the farmers family.

I do not recall the exact weekly rate he charges to offset his costs, but I recall it being very reasonable.

And they kill a ton of birds every year - - - If you are interested P.M. me your phone number and I will give him the list.
Bay Bob
hunter

Postby Farmpond » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:32 pm

Yes i am interested Bay Bob. I am trying to get as much info as i can on a couple different areas. Its alot being a newbie to this freelance stuff!!!!!
Farmpond
hunter

Postby roger5828 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:39 am

We got to SD the last week of October and always do well. We either rent a house or a cabin on state land. Don't pay a guide as the public land is plentiful. As others have said scouting is key so plan on putting a lot of miles on your truck. I think you can search some of my previous posts on here from several years ago when we had a great week of hunting in SD. I used the SD forum to gain local knowledge and it paid off.
roger5828
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting