Do you hunt in the evening?

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Do you hunt in the evening?

Postby bpo » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:53 pm

Hi Folks,

Apologies for the naieve questions, but I was wondering how fruitful it might be to hunt in the evening on the mid-pax. I'm just starting to learn the movements of birds and don't have a great deal of time to explore and prospect. I was on the mid-pax last week in the early am and the only action took place right around sun rise. Most times I can only manage a half day trip. Is it worth a half day trip for the last few hours of daylight? I suppose it matters where you are, but here I'm talking about either the main river or a back creek. Many thanks for the advice.

BPO
bpo
hunter

Re: Do you hunt in the evening?

Postby Bay Bob » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:27 am

A lot of birds move in the evening from their feeding / loafing spots to where they roost.

They are pretty hard to decoy because they generally know where they are going.

But you can use that against them - - - I have a spot that the birds fly over almost every night on their way to roost.

I cannot hammer it too often, about twice a week, and it is a short hunt right at the end of shooting time.

If we have new birds coming into the area evening hunting can be pretty productive since the birds are not yet familiar with the area.

Birds or not, it beats sitting on the couch !
Bay Bob
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:13 am

Rainy days and when a front is getting ready to push through. Most other times they fly right after sunset when its not legal. When it's dark and rainy they go by available light, not the time on the watch, and fly earlier. At least during the winter seasons. Early season the fly before dark as they are hungry and don't wait for dark.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby joeydpga » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:40 pm

Bob hit the nail on the head especially about the new birds.
joeydpga
hunter

Postby bpo » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:26 pm

Thanks for the sage advice gents. I took my boys hiking late this afternoon along the pax to see what might be flying around dusk. I saw a small flock of mallards sitting along the exposed shoreline on the river, a few cormorants, a high flying flock of unidentifiable ducks barreling south, and a couple geese. In other words - boy was it quiet. Good hunting to you this week and Merry Christmas.

BPO
bpo
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting