Sunday hunting

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Sunday hunting

Postby mdfowlman » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:43 pm

This no Sunday hunting has really angered me today. You bust your tail at all work all week waiting impatiently for LST on saturday morning. only to have the wind blowing about 25mph and the hunting suffered because of it. Now most of us have to wait until next Saturday another seven days away to give it another shot.

There has to be something we can all do to change this old bs law. Most states have already changed it, only nine states have sunday hunting. Im tired of accepting only one day of duck hunting each week.
mdfowlman
hunter

Re: Sunday hunting

Postby Farmpond » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:42 am

I agree 100%!!!! It would have been great to have been out this morning.
Farmpond
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:07 am

Well I say, good luck in this state. I worked with Maryland Sportsmen when they were around and now work with MDWFA. I would like to see it and many would too. But many don't want it to change! There are many hunters around that don't want it changed. They get off during the week or have jobs where they can get off during waterfowl season. Even the guide association said they would come out against Sunday hunting if it was pushed for waterfowl. It's too big a bite to get through the Maryland house and most Delegates will not want to take this battle on.

It's a steep road to travel. You will have people already complaining about hunters waking them up Saturday morning, the anti's and hunters that don't want it changed. Then some hunters like the longer season, because the Compulsory days added at the end for all the Sunday's missed.

IMO, all other hunting will have to be open on Sunday before waterfowl will happen. It's been 10 years since we started the push for Sunday hunting at all and we have a few Sundays, county by county and just for deer hunting. The small bite method has been working on Sunday hunting, but how far will it continue to go?
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Bay Bob » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:22 am

Then you have all us retired farts - - - when I was working I really wanted that extra day on sunday- - - now that I am retired i prefer the longer season (on the calendar). Especially in warm years like this - - -
Bay Bob
hunter

Sunday hunting

Postby assateague » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:54 am

Simple- get rid of the useless first split, and then have Sundays available for the rest. That should be pretty close to a wash.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby Markd » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:53 pm

Bay Bob wrote:Then you have all us retired farts - - - when I was working I really wanted that extra day on sunday- - - now that I am retired i prefer the longer season (on the calendar). Especially in warm years like this - - -

It's not longer. 60 days is 60 days. You cannot hunt passed the last Sunday (or Saturday in this case) in January no matter what. You gain an extra week in the one of the splits and nothing on the end. But at least your honest about your reasoning as opposed to the deer hunters in VA (among others) that hide behind the religion and "day of rest for the animals" nonsense.

At this point in the season, it would sure be nice to have Sundays to hunt since the major part of the migration has not even started yet due to the lack of any weather up north.
Markd
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:17 pm

I would love to see the first split dropped, its a pointless week of hunting no birds usually. Then allow us to hunt sundays for the rest of the waterfowl season
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby Bay Bob » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:21 pm

Markd wrote:
Bay Bob wrote:Then you have all us retired farts - - - when I was working I really wanted that extra day on sunday- - - now that I am retired i prefer the longer season (on the calendar). Especially in warm years like this - - -

It's not longer. 60 days is 60 days. You cannot hunt passed the last Sunday (or Saturday in this case) in January no matter what. You gain an extra week in the one of the splits and nothing on the end. But at least your honest about your reasoning as opposed to the deer hunters in VA (among others) that hide behind the religion and "day of rest for the animals" nonsense.

At this point in the season, it would sure be nice to have Sundays to hunt since the major part of the migration has not even started yet due to the lack of any weather up north.

But with the no Sunday hunting the the 60 day season spans a longer period on the calendar - - - which is what I thought I said !

If we have Sunday hunting those extra days have to come from somewhere, but the first and second splits are pretty much a waste beyond about two days each .

But I have to say I really do enjoy killing a few wood ducks in October - - - but a couple days for both early seasons would be good enough - - -
Bay Bob
hunter

Postby Markd » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:25 pm

Bay Bob wrote:[If we have Sunday hunting those extra days have to come from somewhere, but the first and second splits are pretty much a waste beyond about two days each .

Right. So why not take 2-3 days from those first two splits and add them in as Sundays over the entire season?

The season is not longer on the calendar without Sunday hunting. It begins Labor Day weekend (or thereabouts) with resident goose and ends the last Saturday/Sunday in January. Each split is longer on the calendar, but the huntable days are not, nor is the overall length of the season. Most people had rather be able to hunt twice a week and not take a day off work than have the longer splits.
Markd
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:27 pm

Plain and simple the people in charge of making and changing these laws could care less about the people who actually contribute the most to conservation. I would be willing to bet if the lawmakers could benefit from sunday hunting we would be hunting sundays before you know it
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby we bad x 2 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:05 am

some more bad news no sunday hunting ,and i heard that atlantic flyway is going to a 4 bird /45 day for next season, due to lack of birds ,did anyone else here this ?
we bad x 2
hunter

Postby Markd » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:24 am

Exactly who did you hear that from?
Markd
hunter

Postby Boondock_RES » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:58 am

we bad x 2 wrote:some more bad news no sunday hunting ,and i heard that atlantic flyway is going to a 4 bird /45 day for next season, due to lack of birds ,did anyone else here this ?

I'd like to know where this came from also?
"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." - Roger Caras
Boondock_RES
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:13 am

Lack of birds? numbers were up this year, most species to a record high!
Also from what I understand seasons and bag limits arent decided until mid to the end of summer
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:25 pm

mdfowlman wrote:I would love to see the first split dropped, its a pointless week of hunting no birds usually. Then allow us to hunt sundays for the rest of the waterfowl season

This has been proposed and some people fought it very hard. They called it Woody season and said it was the only time they could Wood Ducks before they went south. I think it been a warm year so far and it has all waterfowlers in this state on edge, as most can't kill much. My buddy and I just watched maybe 200 geese going from a roost to an unhunt-able area. They don't seem to need to hit the fields and are not moving much.

I am for Sundays also, But even alot of your bother waterfolwers oppose the change. The Feds and the MD DNR don't care either way if there is Sunday hunting. The MD legislature has to make the change for it to happen. The Feds don't care either as other states have Sundays. It's Maryland Politic and attitude, plain and simple truth. This is how it was when they grew up and they plan on keeping it the same.

You all can work on making Sunday hunting for all things. Then you could get Sundays for Waterfowl. But we don't have a State hunting org except for MBS and MDWFA and their coverage is only waterfowl for MDWFA and MBS is only bow hunting. I think MDWFA surveyed their members and if I remember correctly over 50% did not want Sundays, or thought other things where more important. They are there to serve their membership and that is what they reported back.

The closest thing to a state all hunting group ins the Western Maryland Sportsman group and they are Carroll west to Garrett. They tried to reach statewide when Maryland Sportsmen Assoc (MSA) was dieing. They ran adds in the hunting booklet to get state gun clubs to join and a few did but most did not even bother. MSA died due to Hunters and their apathy as most guys will complain but if you ask them to stand by you and fight they will run. The MSA ran out of people with the fire to run all the officer spots. If no one runs it and everyone joins, its still not a viable organization.

You can change anything, but Maryland Politics are hard. The 800 yard rule for sea ducks was changed in Harford and Balto Counties by MDWFA. They could not get any more counties or the entire bill would have failed. Hunting is not even close to the #1 concern of most Maryland Delegates!
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby we bad x 2 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:53 pm

numbers were up but not on the east coast, had record numbers out west ,i spoke to (The Man) and that's what i was told we will see ,not so long ago remember we had a 3 bird 30 day season due to #'s let pray for birds!
we bad x 2
hunter

Postby Markd » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:44 am

No offense, but who is "the man?"

Larry Hindman with MD DNR?
Gary Costanzo with VA DGIF?
Someone from the Atlantic Flyway Council?
Someone from the USFWS Division of Migratory Bird Management?
A MD DNR Conservation Police Officer?
Markd
hunter

Postby we bad x 2 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:15 am

that's what i was told from one of the state boys that works in with the fed's that's all i know
we bad x 2
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting