south marsh

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

south marsh

Postby mudturtle » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:37 am

any one have any comments on what hunting bloodsworth isl or south marsh isl is like? is it worth the trip?
mudturtle
hunter

Re: south marsh

Postby Bay Bob » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:30 pm

All I can say it watch the tides - - - there is lots of shallow water over there and with a north wind you could easily be stranded till the next tide.

The problem from my point of view is that any boat I would feel safe in crossing the bay in would be of limited use once you get there . Not such a problem if you trailer to the Eastern Shore.

All that being said I have on occasion seen a lot of birds there from the air - - -

Probably bears a lot of warm weather exploration - - -

And I think you need a special permit to hunt Bloodsworth and I think you are prohibited from setting foot on the shore or bottom due to unexploded ordinance

"Licensed waterfowl hunting sites have been located below mean high tide and are accessible by boat only. At no time shall hunters walk on any part of the range (the islands). Doing so will be considered trespassing on government property and all trespassers will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law."

http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/hunt_trap/pdfs/bloodsworth_permit.pdf
Bay Bob
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting