Sea Ducks in the Bay

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

Sea Ducks in the Bay

Postby jpeels » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:35 am

Thought I'd start a sea duck thread. We've been out at the mouth of the magothy a few times and shot a few buffleheads each time out. I've only been hunting ducks for about 3 years now. Anybody know if I can expect to see scoters up my way? The last few years all I've seen were blue bills, buffleheads and old squaws.
jpeels
hunter

Re: Sea Ducks in the Bay

Postby RBurg44 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:26 am

Ive got a blind site off dobbins island but can't find a ramp to use to get too it! Any one been on the south river first year hunting ducks don't know what to expect there!?
2013-14 Season

Canadas -
Snows -
Mallards -
Ring-Necks -
Woodies -
Blacks -
Buffleheads -
RBurg44
hunter

Postby jpeels » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:43 am

RBurg - I sent you a PM

I've never hunted on South River, but we've always had good luck in the Magothy. I drive right past Dobbins to get to our spot, theres usually alot of ducks near there.
jpeels
hunter

Postby Aunt Bee » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:34 pm

Most of the scoters mid-bay WESTERN shore in years past locate from off Franklin Manor- Shady Side ,past Deale, to Holland Point (Herring Bay) ! :beer:
Aunt Bee
hunter

Postby jpeels » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:42 pm

Thanks AB, from where are anchored (about a half mile north of the bay) we can always see big flocks of black colored ducks off in the distance and low to the water. We thought maybe they're scoters, maybe their just loons?
jpeels
hunter

Postby fishduck » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:25 pm

jpeels wrote:Thanks AB, from where are anchored (about a half mile north of the bay) we can always see big flocks of black colored ducks off in the distance and low to the water. We thought maybe they're scoters, maybe their just loons?

More likly Cormorants then Loons.

Fishduck
fishduck
hunter

Postby Aunt Bee » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:04 am

Yes, Mr. Cormorant LOVES the Bay bridge area!! :yes: :hammer: And a tastier fellow does not exist!!! :lol: :lol:
Aunt Bee
hunter

Postby JTR » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:17 am

jpeels wrote:Thanks AB, from where are anchored (about a half mile north of the bay) we can always see big flocks of black colored ducks off in the distance and low to the water. We thought maybe they're scoters, maybe their just loons?

If you are consistently seeing organized strings of black colored birds flying close to the water, then I'm going to wager on them being scoters. Especially if they have a consistent wing beat. I don't know the area, but up here in mass, the cormorants are here for about a month after the season starts until they migrate. They tend to have an uncoordinated flight plan, meaning that they don't fly in straight lines, compared to scoters. The dead give away on cormorants is that they stop their wing beat to glide in flight, whereas the ducks will only stop their wing beat to land. Not knowing any more info, I vote scoters. :thumbsup:
Ruger's Retrieves: I lost count
JTR
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting