One of the best hunts I've ever had

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.


Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

One of the best hunts I've ever had

Postby Ilovesidebysides » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:20 pm

Well, I went hunting this morning, and as the title says, I can't stop thinking about it. I was hunting in Central MD and the focus was geese. I knew there might be ducks, but I was'nt expecting much to be quite honest. But about five minutes after legal shooting time, ducks began to POUR onto this pond. I'm not kidding when I say around 500 ducks hit this pond....GWT, Widgeon, Ringnecks and some mallards. It was incredible.
Two ducks and a limit of geese. What a morning. A Merry Christmas indeed!!
Ilovesidebysides
hunter
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:39 am


Re: One of the best hunts I've ever had

Postby Hardhead » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:55 pm

Congrats - It's great when that happens. A day you won't forget.
Hardhead
hunter
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:02 pm
Location: Southern MD

Re: One of the best hunts I've ever had

Postby Bay Bob » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:15 pm

Ilovesidebysides wrote:Well, I went hunting this morning, and as the title says, I can't stop thinking about it. I was hunting in Central MD and the focus was geese. I knew there might be ducks, but I was'nt expecting much to be quite honest. But about five minutes after legal shooting time, ducks began to POUR onto this pond. I'm not kidding when I say around 500 ducks hit this pond....GWT, Widgeon, Ringnecks and some mallards. It was incredible.
Two ducks and a limit of geese. What a morning. A Merry Christmas indeed!!


Just curious - - - what county were you hunting in - - -
User avatar
Bay Bob
hunter
 
Posts: 1167
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:04 pm
Location: Solomons MD

Re: One of the best hunts I've ever had

Postby Ilovesidebysides » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:47 pm

One other thing...
I think maybe some geese are making their way down here from up North. We got four geese today. Three were resident geese...the one resident I got was 13 lb's if you can believe it. Biggest goose I've ever shot. My other one was five lb's and a full foot shorter.
Ilovesidebysides
hunter
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:39 am

Re: One of the best hunts I've ever had

Postby gr8white » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:05 pm

Congrats....It's been so slow this year I'd of probably passed out at the sight of 500 ducks.
User avatar
gr8white
hunter
 
Posts: 485
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:27 pm
Location: Eastern Shore MD

Re: One of the best hunts I've ever had

Postby assateague » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:00 pm

gr8white wrote:Congrats....It's been so slow this year I'd of probably passed out at the sight of 500 ducks.

x2
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: One of the best hunts I've ever had

Postby mdfowlman » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:41 am

Same deal for me today.. Wasnt expecting too many ducks or geese. Ended up shooting two geese and 3 ducks which shouldve been way more ducks my shooting was way below par. But I was amazed that im still seeing woodys let alone 200 or so and atleast 200 or more mallards especially on the western shore and they were flying up until 11 or so
mdfowlman
hunter
 
Posts: 512
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Baltimore, Md

Re: One of the best hunts I've ever had

Postby captnemo » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:29 pm

same on the eastern shore, 10x more ducks flews today then have in the past week combined
captnemo
Banned
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: One of the best hunts I've ever had

Postby assateague » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:44 pm

captnemo wrote:same on the eastern shore, 10x more ducks flews today then have in the past week combined

Don't know where you were, but today was the first "cold" overcast day we've had yet this year. And it showed. I had ducks all over, but only got two buffies before Christmas Eve Day family duties pulled me out of the marsh.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland


Return to Maryland Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests