Run in with DNR this morning

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Run in with DNR this morning

Postby akdiesel » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:55 pm

Ok here's the issue, I have a blind site in a populated area but I have hunted it before in years past never had an issue. I have been hunting this spot all year because we have been limiting out all year there. So today the geese were slow to get moving around and we were getting singles coming in here and there. With 3 down, I turned around and saw the man watching us behind a tree in the woods behind us. Didn't think anything of it we were not doing anything illegal so I figured he was just watching to see us in action so we kept hunting like he wasn't there. We had a group of four come in shot it for our limit of the day, as we dropped the blind here he was walking out to us. So I started getting all the paperwork in order unloaded the guns for him and before he got there we had everything laid out for him. All he looked at was the blind site paperwork never asked names then pulled out his range finder and ranged the houses. Then said we were further than the 150yds from the houses so we were legal there. Then proceeds to say that even though we are far enough away from the houses the birds we are shooting at are too close to the houses.? Do what? Does this make sense? He never said we can't hunt there but he was implying it. Then he started talking about baiting birds and we need to find out if residents in the area are feeding them.
Now earlier in the year I had an issue with someone else staking my blind and was dealing with another field officer and he was going out there on a daily basis trying to find the person. He told me that we were good to hunt there and that it was good hunting there. When we hunted it in years past never had and issue or saw the man out there. So when he leaves we are picking up decoys and a few min later here he comes riding by in a golf cart with someone driving it. This guy driving it stops and starts pointing around our hunting area looking all pissed. There is a field behind where the site is that is a lease and I think the farmer called DNR to come in and run us out. What are your thoughts on this situation? Should we keep hunting it or just give up? I plan on calling the field agent I was dealing with earlier in the year during the week to figure out what is going on and his thoughts on it.

Honkers- 7
BWT- 0.5
Doves- 42
akdiesel
hunter

Re: Run in with DNR this morning

Postby gr8white » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:05 pm

Keep hunting it.
gr8white
hunter

Postby captnemo » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:27 pm

your not doing any thing wrong, do not let the anti's intimidate you, hunt until DNR pulls proof you are doing something illegal.
captnemo
Banned

Postby RBurg44 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:29 pm

Hunt away f them a'holes
2013-14 Season

Canadas -
Snows -
Mallards -
Ring-Necks -
Woodies -
Blacks -
Buffleheads -
RBurg44
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:51 pm

Here's what I'd do:

--First off: keep hunting there. Two GW's (I hope you took down their names...always take down names from GW's for this very reason) have said it is OK to hunt there...either directly or by not telling you to stop. If a third GW tries to ticket you I think that's your defence.

--Next: if you are harassed again, I'd write a pleasant but direct letter (snail mail...not email) to the pissed off neighbor letting him know you are a responsible hunter. Ask him if he would like a few ducks over the season.

--If the GW and owner combine to harass you even after steps 1 and 2 above, I'd write your elected reps....and send copies to the GW's and neighbors.
Paul26
hunter

Postby assateague » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:42 pm

RBurg44 wrote:Hunt away f them a'holes

x2
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby gr8white » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:19 pm

....and about the "residents feeding the birds". I believe a permit is actually needed to do that and they can be denied the permit if they are to close to blind sites. That might be something to research a little more and could work to your favor if needed.
gr8white
hunter

Postby islandgoose » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:39 pm

I would walk the perimeter of your area every time I was going to hunt it because if any neighbor throws corn down on your lease and you then hunt it ,the DNR officer will give you the citation for hunting over a baited area . You will be responsible ! Yes you ! There was a great article in one of the last few issues of the NRA hunting magazine about this subject and how the courts have ruled on different aspects of baiting. Find that article if you can it will open your eyes like it did mine . Please , it will be well worth your time and trouble ! Good luck.
islandgoose
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:56 am

I would start to document everything. You sound legal, but no telling what is going on. the GW could be there just to hear the land owners complaint, or he could know them. You can be sure, no matter which way the GW falls, he is supposed to tell the land owner of their rights. He will tell them they can apply for the blind site with first option. It's his duty to tell them. So, if the land owner wants you out, don't count on having that spot next year and start looking for where you want to be next year.

Maybe the land owner is baiting the fields to try and make it so you can't hunt. Maybe he feeds them, but there is no way for us to know those details here. Maybe you should call DNR and ask to have the officer call you back. Maybe he can explain exactly what his and the land owners concerns are. Make sure you stay respectable on the phone. The GW might help you if your nice and the land owner is just being a pain. You may win now, but you will eventually lose as you can be assured that waterfront will get locked down next year.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby akdiesel » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:22 pm

Here is a overhead of the spot. The house on the right as you are looking at it is 162yds and the house on the left is 179yds from where we hunt at. I couldn't center the square too well but this gives you an idea. The field behind it is leased. We have been very careful to shoot where the gap is between the two houses if a shot arrives in that area. We orient the boat at an angle and set the decoys also oriented with the boat to force the birds in areas where they will not be in direct line of shooting with the houses.

Honkers- 7
BWT- 0.5
Doves- 42
akdiesel
hunter

Postby Markd » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:41 am

You may be legal, but if I owned one of the houses you are shooting towards I would be pretty salty about it. I'd be reluctant about setting up 180 yards from a house and shooting AWAY from it, much less towards it especially if the the lot was cleared from the house down to the property line like those are. If it had some woods, it might be different.

I'll bet you won't stake a site there next year, or the year after......

Probably not a very popular opinion I'm sure, but just because you can stake a site, doesn't necessarily mean you SHOULD stake one.
Markd
hunter

Postby akdiesel » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:15 pm

I understand what you are saying I do agree to an extent. The issue is the home owners across the way are not complaining, I have already spoken with them before I ever started hunting there. They are fine with it and I have a signed agreement with them about any accidental damages. The person who has the issue is the farm owner because he leases out his farm to other waterfowl hunters. 150yrds is plenty far away from that house. With the trees surrounding the creek, for the birds to be with in range they are just about feet in the water when we can take a shot. The pellets drop with in 100yrds on a shot like that. Trust me I have taken every percaution I can to make this safe and huntable. I have hunted this 5 out of the last 6 years last year being the only non hunted year, never had an issue. Every year I call the land owners from across the creek to see and remind them of the cut off date to register their waterfront and they have said every year if you want your spot we won't lock it up. They said I can hunt on their side of the creek but DNR won't allow it because then I will be too close to their houses even though it would be better for everyone. The farmer has already said he is going to lock up his property next year so it is gone after this year no doubt. With the weather we have been having and no migraters around this creek is 100% a limit out hunt everytime out no questions asked. I just want to finish out the season and go on my way to find a new honey hole for next year. If I can't hunt it for the remainder of the season and the weather does not turn soon I might as well hang it up for the rest of the season.

Honkers- 7
BWT- 0.5
Doves- 42
akdiesel
hunter

Postby Markd » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:05 pm

Surprising that the homeonwers aren't complaining.

It seems to me that with written permission from the landowners, you should be able to gun from that side of the creek. Think about it. Suppose my house was less than 150 yards from shore and I wanted to license my shoreline; couldn't I do it? Of course I could, so it stands to reason that if you had written permission, you could hunt it as well. The CPO's don't always know the correct interpretation of the law and I would look into it a little closer in the offseason.
Markd
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:50 am

akdiesel wrote:...The farmer has already said he is going to lock up his property next year so it is gone after this year no doubt. ....

Just like I said, the DNR had to inform them of their options. Your not doing anything illegal, which is why your not ticketed. The spot, is not even the best choice and spots like this, IMO, are what make it hard for us in Maryland and the MDWFA to work with legislators to get more things for waterfowl hunters. When they have to listen to constituents talk about duck hunters hunting near their houses. Just because it's legal it does not make it right. Many home owners would like to see duck hunting gone just so they don't get woke up at 5:30. So you see, your help making that steep hill that MDWFA has to climb to get you more opportunities. Hunting like you are, you make it so we have to fight just to keep what we have and getting more opportunities ever harder.

The DNR just has to deal with a bent up farmer, which probably has bent up lease hunters that want you out too. They are trying to pressure you by lodging complaints and hoping you did something wrong. The complaints will likely continue until you and the DNR are upset too.

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Bay Bob » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:45 am

Cupped-n-Committed wrote:
akdiesel wrote:...The farmer has already said he is going to lock up his property next year so it is gone after this year no doubt. ....

Just like I said, the DNR had to inform them of their options. Your not doing anything illegal, which is why your not ticketed. The spot, is not even the best choice and spots like this, IMO, are what make it hard for us in Maryland and the MDWFA to work with legislators to get more things for waterfowl hunters. When they have to listen to constituents talk about duck hunters hunting near their houses. Just because it's legal it does not make it right. Many home owners would like to see duck hunting gone just so they don't get woke up at 5:30. So you see, your help making that steep hill that MDWFA has to climb to get you more opportunities. Hunting like you are, you make it so we have to fight just to keep what we have and getting more opportunities ever harder.

The DNR just has to deal with a bent up farmer, which probably has bent up lease hunters that want you out too . They are trying to pressure you by lodging complaints and hoping you did something wrong. The complaints will likely continue until you and the DNR are upset too.

You would have to be pretty ignorant to lease a property with shoreline , when that shoreline is not licensed to either the landowner or the leasee - - - - and open to squatters - - -

But I have seen big money lease chasers do dumb things before - - - -

And these dumb assed yuppies who try to lock up public water remind me of the people who build houses near airports for the convenience and then bitch about the noise. :fingerhead:

If I were "king of Maryland" i would require every property owner who licenses their shore line to build and maintain a substantial waterfowl blind every 250 yards - - -
Bay Bob
hunter

Postby akdiesel » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:08 pm

I talked with the DNR officer I was dealing with earlier in the year and he told me I was good to hunt it. He said his partner called him after he got done talking to me and said he was just trying to make sure we were covering our butts and doing the right thing. As for landowners getting upset, it is the farmer behind the blind site that is upset. The homeowners ore ok with it. The homeowners suggested at getting a blind site for me to use on their side of the creek but they cannot put a blind site on their side because neither of their properties have 250ft of shoreline. They went to the state and asked if they both agreed with putting a blind site there would that be ok the state said no it was not. The Farmer that used to own the farm died over the summer and his son took it over and is leasing it out for the first time this year and did not know about land owner registration. DNR did tell me this will be the last year I will be able to stake this spot. Apparently the farmer has been bitching almost all season about it. Oh well already started scouting for new sites for next year.

Honkers- 7
BWT- 0.5
Doves- 42
akdiesel
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:20 am

Well Bob, it does look like he is pretty ignorant. :yes:

The good new for you AK is the DNR will know who he is when he keep complaining. Be safe and enjoy the last month you have there, while you can.

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Skip72 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:59 pm

Is that right about needing 250yds of shoreline? maybe I misread the rules- you cannot put a blind within 125 yds of another blind. if you have 250 yds of shoreline you are guaranteed that you can lace a blind in the middle of your shoreline, but if you have less, And the adjacent properties do not register their shoreline (ie- your blind is 125 yds from the nearest registered shoreline- you are OK). So if the two neighbors together have 250 yds of shoreline, or their neighbors do n ot register their property within the 125 yds, you should be ok to register a blind site, or have them register it (because they are riparian land owners, they can register a blind site early)
Am I wrong? Now if the farmers son registers his shoerline and the creek is less than 125 yds wide, that may be a problem.
Skip72
hunter

Postby islandgoose » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:06 pm

Thats what I thought Skip 72.
islandgoose
hunter

Postby slicendice » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:11 am

Hunt the crappy out of it this year, then get the homeowners to bait it heavily next year when the farmer gets the stake.
2013-2014 season totals
1 Bufflehead
1 Gadwall
1 Black duck
1 Hoody
3 Mergs
3 Cans
4 Geese
4 Wood ducks
1 Mallard
3 doe
1 buck
1 fall turkey
slicendice
hunter

Postby GOARMY » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:49 pm

was it warden PRICE ????
GOARMY
hunter

Postby akdiesel » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:52 pm

No not warden Price. I have been hunting the crap out of it, weekends, and after work. So far limited on geese everytime 5 buffleheads 3 mallards. Haven't heard a word from anyone since.

Honkers- 7
BWT- 0.5
Doves- 42
akdiesel
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting