Howard County

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderator: Cupped-n-Committed

Howard County

Postby Ilovesidebysides » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:31 am

Was looking for geese this morning, and it was awful. I saw some birds...not very many. None of them were making a sound, and all were going exactly where they wanted to go and nothing was going to budge them. We need some cold weather really bad. I'm getting sick of this.
Ilovesidebysides
hunter

Re: Howard County

Postby kfgirl » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:13 pm

MD newbie here. Do you hunt public or private lands? Curious where you hunt in Howard. I"m just learning the ropes & am thinking of going out this weekend just to look around...
vincentpa wrote: Even if you're Bruce Lee, you ain't the same Bruce Lee wearing waders.
kfgirl
hunter

Postby Ilovesidebysides » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:40 pm

I was hunting on a farm near rt 108.
I'm going again tomorrow to Frederick County...hopefully it will be better out there. Supposed to be cold at least!
Ilovesidebysides
hunter

Postby mighty mike » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:26 pm

Did some traveling up through Frederick county today out through rte. 85 and saw better numbers than down where i am Howard/Carroll area. Good luck in the am!
mighty mike
hunter

Postby Ilovesidebysides » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:02 pm

Thanks Mike!
I'll be posting a report when I get home! Hoping to see some black ducks too...there are more of them than Mallards out there.
Ilovesidebysides
hunter

Postby Ilovesidebysides » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:19 pm

Saw a lot more geese out there than I expected. Maybe this little cold front has moved some birds from North of here. They were all HIGH in the sky and didn't feel like dropping down to look at me. Going again tomorrow in Howard County on a farm that has had birds coming every day, and has'nt been hunted all year. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to it.
Ilovesidebysides
hunter

Postby kfgirl » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:42 pm

Yeah plenty of farms on Rt 108. Keep us posted and Good Luck! :biggrin:
vincentpa wrote: Even if you're Bruce Lee, you ain't the same Bruce Lee wearing waders.
kfgirl
hunter

Postby mighty mike » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:10 pm

Good luck in the am!
mighty mike
hunter

Postby Ilovesidebysides » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:02 pm

WOW
Had quite a hunt this morning. Got to the pond, and there were about 200 geese on it. We waited for legal shooting time, and jumped them up. My buddies got theirs but I only got one. It's tough to pick out one bird from 200...
1/2 hour later one came back for his mate. He died, and fell like a helicopter from 30 yards straight up. Was the best shot of my life. Going back Monday for a repeat. They were all small birds, so I'm hoping this cold air has moved some birds down.
Ilovesidebysides
hunter

Postby Ilovesidebysides » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:13 pm

Went back to the same pond again this morning. Was done by 7:30. We saw probably 200 geese flying around. No ducks though...I don't know where they are.
Ilovesidebysides
hunter

Postby talley2191 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:06 pm

Kicking them off the roost and shooting at them. You're quite the sportsman. What a joke!!
talley2191
Newb

Postby mdfowlman » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:25 am

talley2191 wrote:Kicking them off the roost and shooting at them. You're quite the sportsman. What a joke!!
hey buddy let's get a few more posts under your belt before you start talking trash to people
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby Ruination » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:54 am

mdfowlman wrote:
talley2191 wrote:Kicking them off the roost and shooting at them. You're quite the sportsman. What a joke!!
hey buddy let's get a few more posts under your belt before you start talking trash to people

Not to mentioning necroing a thread from 2 years ago.
Ruination
hunter

Postby Ilovesidebysides » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:29 pm

If it makes you feel better, my father is a Vietnam Vet. Agent Orange was not kind to him. He can't eat most meat, but he loves goose meat. When I've got a sure thing, I take it for his sake.
But thank you for the judging! Made me feel better that I could make you feel superior in any way!
On topic...
Was hunting in HoCo Wednesday. Did'nt see a ton of birds, but got our limit. Rained pretty hard.
Going tomorrow morning to the same pond that I showed no sportsmanship at all. Hope it goes well.
Ilovesidebysides
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:28 pm

Ilovesidebysides wrote:If it makes you feel better, my father is a Vietnam Vet. Agent Orange was not kind to him. He can't eat most meat, but he loves goose meat. When I've got a sure thing, I take it for his sake.
But thank you for the judging! Made me feel better that I could make you feel superior in any way!
On topic...
Was hunting in HoCo Wednesday. Did'nt see a ton of birds, but got our limit. Rained pretty hard.
Going tomorrow morning to the same pond that I showed no sportsmanship at all. Hope it goes well.

haters gonna hate. i shoot for meat.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby talley2191 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:07 pm

Ruination wrote:
mdfowlman wrote:

Not talking trash at all. I think hunting a roost is one of the worst things you can do to sabotage an area. "Get a few quotes under your belt"...Get a few hunts under yours and maybe you'll understand.
talley2191
Newb

Postby ohioboy » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:52 am

talley2191 wrote:
Ruination wrote:
mdfowlman wrote:

Not talking trash at all. I think hunting a roost is one of the worst things you can do to sabotage an area. "Get a few quotes under your belt"...Get a few hunts under yours and maybe you'll understand.

homie, only so many roosts, only so many birds.

back in high school and college i hunted the same farm, with mainly a small stream, and hunted it hard. real hard. limits most days for me, and usually for up to 3 or 4. hunted it morning and afternoon some days. hunted it late, and it was a roost for sure. birds came back. it was a great spot.

if a guy can hunt a spot, and it is in md, by all means get at it. all. you. want.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:37 am

talley2191 wrote:
Ruination wrote:
mdfowlman wrote:

You are the kind of a$$hole the gives real sportsman a bad name. Maybe this guy has one spot and it happens to be the roost he could either be an idiot and not hunt it or be opportunistic and kill some birds. That is his choice and I hope he does it more often hell I hope he shoots up the roost around your fields. :lol:
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby talley2191 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:04 pm

mdfowlman wrote:
talley2191 wrote:
Ruination wrote:
mdfowlman wrote:

You are the kind of a$$hole the gives real sportsman a bad name. Maybe this guy has one spot and it happens to be the roost he could either be an idiot and not hunt it or be opportunistic and kill some birds. That is his choice and I hope he does it more often hell I hope he shoots up the roost around your fields. :lol:

He'll have to be a busy man to effect us friend. Of course it's his choice, as is sky blasting and shooting into large groups. I'll maintain my opinion and you can keep making excuses and/or reasons why I cannot express my opinion. I'm not judging the character of the man, but merely stating it's rookie stuff to shoot up a roost because in short their is no future in it. You can stick to your opinion that I give "real sportsman" a bad name, as I assume you formulated that opinion as a result of me stating my opinion that shooting up a roost is bad for business. You keep shooting up the roost, and I'll keep being an evil sportsman by not shooting up a roost, or flock shooting, or sky blasting, or shooting into large groups. Guess we'll agree to disagree. Good luck this season.
talley2191
Newb

Postby PSUbuzz » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:53 am

I just think it's fun that someone dug up a 3 year old thread to do some bad mouthing.I have permission on 3 major roosts/day loafs in my area plus a number of fields. I prefer to hunt them in the fields, but if I can't get permission where they are feeding, or under their flight path, then I'll hunt the roost and force them to change their pattern. They'll move to the other side of town and pick a new roost and new field to feed in. It's strategic roost hunting, not newb stuff. I agree, it should be a last resort, and it's a bit selfish, but It works
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Ilovesidebysides » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:12 am

I guess this rookie is VERY VERY LUCKY every single time I hunt this farm, because I get my limit about 90% of the time. That hunt was years ago now, and I got my limit this past week on the exact same 1 acre farm pond, and I'm probably going to get it tomorrow morning as well. I certainly have not "sabotaged" that area. In fact, most of the birds we jumped up that morning were back at 9:30.
No one said you're an evil sportsman because you refuse to shoot a roost. They said you're a jackass for being a jackass. I broke no laws, did not effect you one bit, and didn't effect my hunting one bit. I go goose hunting to put meat on my table, and my fathers plate. Not really sure how you can knock a man for doing that.
Again, I'm glad that I could afford you the opportunity to feel so good about yourself, and to teach us all a good lesson in correct waterfowling. I'm sure we've all taken it to heart, and are better off for it.
Ilovesidebysides
hunter

Postby papageno » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:00 pm

On the Eastern Shore, where a huge population of geese use a vast agricultural landscape, you would be hurting your long term hunting by shooting your farm pond if you also have fields.

There are so many other hunting conditions and situations and personal reasons that do not follow that logic.
papageno
hunter

Postby Ruination » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:21 pm

papageno wrote:On the Eastern Shore, where a huge population of geese use a vast agricultural landscape, you would be hurting your long term hunting by shooting your farm pond if you also have fields.

There are so many other hunting conditions and situations and personal reasons that do not follow that logic.

Not really. Only if it's a roost. Most ponds may be loafs but if you kill the birds they are not coming back anyways. Myths and legends.
Ruination
hunter

Postby papageno » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:59 pm

I used to own a farm with a pond near Church Hill - just relating my experience… but, like I was trying to say - every (body's) situation is different.

When I was a kid, I was blessed to hunt on Blackies farm up by Turner Creek. He leased out 5 pits and kept one for himself. He had a coop full of old live decoys and a home made call that he blew from the side - I couldn't get it to make a sound, but he had ongoing conversations with geese that I have never heard since. He placed his pits up the hill from several stock water ponds that held geese all season. He would never allow anyone, his renters included, to shoot the ponds - nor would they want to.

But I guess he was just falling under the spell of myths and old-wives tales, too.
papageno
hunter

Postby Ruination » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:36 am

papageno wrote:I used to own a farm with a pond near Church Hill - just relating my experience… but, like I was trying to say - every (body's) situation is different.

When I was a kid, I was blessed to hunt on Blackies farm up by Turner Creek. He leased out 5 pits and kept one for himself. He had a coop full of old live decoys and a home made call that he blew from the side - I couldn't get it to make a sound, but he had ongoing conversations with geese that I have never heard since. He placed his pits up the hill from several stock water ponds that held geese all season. He would never allow anyone, his renters included, to shoot the ponds - nor would they want to.

But I guess he was just falling under the spell of myths and old-wives tales, too.

Unless you shoot the pond and they don't come back what does that prove?

Answer me this, why do they keep coming back to the fields?
Ruination
hunter

Next

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting