wood duck mojo

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

wood duck mojo

Postby islandgoose » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:36 pm

I have a hen mallard baby mojo and was thinking about painting it to make it a wood duck mojo. Have any of you guys done this and how effective is it at decoying wood ducks?
islandgoose
hunter

Re: wood duck mojo

Postby hydrilla » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:09 pm

I don't think it matters if you paint it. I have a mojo teal that I take when I hunt woodies, and that is usually all I take.
hydrilla
hunter

Postby gooshntr » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:17 pm

I think one of those quivering ducks on the water are more effective for wood ducks. They like something about the ripples on the water.
gooshntr
hunter

Postby KGChunter » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:11 am

in the past i will put out wood duck decoys and a mallard mojo and the mojo is very effective
KGChunter
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:33 am

Woodies love mojos in the first 10-20 minutes of light, ive actually had a couple smack the mojos with their wings. After that i pull them and stick to quiver butts and jerk strings. Early season i might leave a mojo up for 45 minutes and then pull it down. But late season i hardly use one because birds get so used to seeing them. I might use one for the first 10 minutes and then yank them down.
Some guys will swear ducks love mojos, others will say they flare birds. Personally, I like to use all the tricks in my bag, and watch and see the duck's reactions. If they start flaring, its time to change something. Duck hunting is all about learning, adapting to the what the birds like, and reading their reactions. Nobody knows everything there is to know about the sport. Just consider yourself a salesman with a varying customer base... you have to sell that spread to each group of birds differently. You just have to learn to read that duck's wife's face when she gives him that "uh uhhhhhh, you are so not buying that couch OR landing in that spread"; then talk them into it with just the right motion and calling :lol3:
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting