Chicamuxen Boat Blinds

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Chicamuxen Boat Blinds

Postby agkoh » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:11 pm

Trying to hunt Chicamuxen Waterfowl Blinds, but I cant find any early morning boat ramps that will be open before 7am. Anyone know where to launch a boat from these? the one public landing ramp to the south is not open till 7am. There has got to be another place. If anyone knows anything feel free to pm me or post here. Thanks!
agkoh
hunter

Re: Chicamuxen Boat Blinds

Postby Crow Bait » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:59 am

The closest ramp that I know of is Smallwood State Park. They open at 7am, but there is a process for getting earlier access to the Marina/boat ramp. Try calling the park.

Also - there is a public ramp (pretty sure it's free too) in Indian Head off Mattingly Avenue called Slavens Landing. I do not reccomend using this ramp in the dark because it is quite a distance up Mattawoman creek and the navigation is a little tricky. Once you are familiar with it, it will be ok, but be careful.

Also, don't forget that the Potomac is big water, and rounding the point at Stump Neck will require the right conditions in a small boat. There was recently a duck hunter that drowned in that same area. The guy was only 31.
Crow Bait
hunter

Postby agkoh » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:05 am

Yeah. Mattingly ave is open at dusk. Is there even a gate to keep people out? Smallwood said there ramp is frozen up now. I might have to use the Wilson landing one. I heard about those two guys a couple Weeks ago, sad story.
agkoh
hunter

Postby Crow Bait » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:38 am

agkoh wrote:Yeah. Mattingly ave is open at dusk. Is there even a gate to keep people out? Smallwood said there ramp is frozen up now. I might have to use the Wilson landing one. I heard about those two guys a couple Weeks ago, sad story.

I can't believe the ice at smallwood would be too much for a duck boat...

Also - I haven't been to Slavens in a few years, but I've launched there several times in the dark to go duck hunting... I recommend a driveby.

I have no idea where the wilson landing ramp is.
Crow Bait
hunter

Postby wvlippo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:24 pm

The big water around there is no joke once even a little wind picks up. No place for Jon boats and dingys so please be carefull and come prepaired!
The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

The amendment that guarantees all the rest.
wvlippo
hunter

Postby nickb1414 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:49 am

better call early to get those blinds.... they go quick! Also while trying not to sound like a mom, BE CAREFUL. The potomac, or any big water for that mater is no joke. I knew the person who drowned on the river a few weeks ago. Hunted the same camp with Charlie in blackwater over 1/2 doz times. Great guy, loved outdoors, professional mountain biker, and a tuff motha. NE and E winds are the best(safest). good luck
I'm shopping around for something to do that no one will like.
Jerry Garcia
nickb1414
hunter

Postby The Butcher » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:55 am

Smallwood shouldn't have ice issues you couldn't deal with. They have an automated gate that can get you in but last time I was there it was broken and we had to abort. Call them and get a status update. That's probably the best place to luanch for chix
Terp Nut
The Butcher
hunter

Postby agkoh » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:03 am

Yeah. I had one of the blinds reserved for today, ended up not going due to the small craft advisory in that area. If enough people say careful, then you gotta be careful. Not trying to get myself, my Dad or my brother hurt/killed for some ducks. Thanks for all the information though, maybe one day I can get it again with some more "nice" weather.
agkoh
hunter

Postby Markd » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:04 am

You made the right call.
Markd
hunter

Postby The Butcher » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:40 pm

Yes you did. We've had to call off a number of hunts due to small craft this year. There's always the next hunt if you're smart
Terp Nut
The Butcher
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting