Cans

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Cans

Postby Swingo » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:39 am

Anybody get any Cans this season? Up here in PA, we don't really see them. I know that the Chesapeake was once the best place for Canvasbacks. Thinking of going out to Wisconsin this fall to hunt them, but the cost is really high with plane tickets, hotel, etc. If you have luck with Cans, maybe we can exchange hunts. I hunt from SE PA to NE PA, every weekend and sometimes during the week. Mostly lakes. We have lots of geese too. We get mallards, buffleheads, woodies and ringnecks. Also grouse and woodcock. If anybody is interested, hit me up. Might be pretty nice for both of us to have a hunting buddy out of state, but not too far away. We get ducks before you do, so there's always the opportunity to exploit an earlier season hunt.
Swingo
hunter

Re: Cans

Postby Bay Bob » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:13 pm

We used to see a ton of cans when the season was closed but since they opened it they have been scarce - - - figures - - -
Bay Bob
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:06 am

Seeing a thousand plus cans everyday on my way home from work but theyre in baltimore city of all places. Unfortunatly you cant get a blind in the city so im just stuck watching em swim around
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby Bay Bob » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:00 pm

I have never hunted there but there seem to be quite a few holding in the shallows just South of the Potomac River / U.S.301 bridge.
They mix with other divers there - - -

It is in the gunning rig zone and you only need to be 400 yards offshore.

But you do have to have a Maryland resident on board - -- -
Bay Bob
hunter

Postby Swingo » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:39 am

Gotta be in northern VA this weekend. I have to cross the Potomac. I'll stop to have a look.
Swingo
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting