Retriever training

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

Retriever training

Postby jpeels » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:06 pm

I'm going to start training my lab to retrieve ducks from my boat so I can have her ready for next year. I've never done it before, and my main question is if I can take her out on the boat now in the river and use a cap gun or my .22 and use blanks, without having to buy a special permit. I've scoured DNR's website and I can't find the answer. Does anybody on here know? Any other tips would be appreciated, thanks.
jpeels
hunter

Re: Retriever training

Postby akdiesel » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:48 pm

You need a special gun dog training permit. There are special training areas that you "must" use, you can't just go out and do your thing. Your best bet would be hooking up with a retriever club and they will tell you how to go about your training.

Honkers- 7
BWT- 0.5
Doves- 42
akdiesel
hunter

Postby akdiesel » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:50 pm

That must was a little harsh, there are designated training fields around the state that you should be using.

Honkers- 7
BWT- 0.5
Doves- 42
akdiesel
hunter

Postby Biguglygreenboat » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:56 pm

akdiesel wrote:That must was a little harsh, there are designated training fields around the state that you should be using.

Not true. You can train anywhere you would like as long as "leash laws" aren't an issue. The only time you needs a training permit is when you shoot live birds during the training session. Even then, only one person in the group need to purchase the $5 permit.

What part of the state are you in? There are several training groups around (both formal and informal) that meet throughout the year. Most of us run hunt tests or just want better hunting dogs but are always willing to lend a hand to those that need and want it.
My wife says I don't pay enough attention to her...or something like that. I really wasn't listening.
Biguglygreenboat
hunter

Postby jpeels » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:41 pm

I'm going to be training out of the magothy river. I just want to take the boat out near some calm water and practice with her. Just some basic training, I'll hold her on the bow of the boat, my buddy will throw the decoy and ill pop off the cap gun. I just want to make sure the cap gun is legal before DNR pulls me over(I know they will). I don't want to spend a grand training her (without an outfitter). If there are any clubs that could help without breaking the bank that would be fine, but I'd like to do it on my own. Probably near Dobbins Island if anybody is familiar with the area.
jpeels
hunter

Postby Biguglygreenboat » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:06 pm

None of the training groups charge money unless its a club training day and they are shooting flyers for you. I deal with groups in Baltimore/Harford/Cecil Counties so I don't get down your way too much. As far as the cap gun is concerned, you are fine as it is not considered a regulated firearm. We use .22 cal blank pistols but they have solid barrels on them and can not be manipulated to fire live rounds. Depending on the age of your pup, you may want to hold off with water training until it warms up a bit. You may want to check out www.duckhunter.net and go to the dog training forum. They're very knowledgeable there and you may find someone that is closer to you to offer some hands on advice. The site also has the "Chesapeake Flyway" forum which is for our area. Get on a training program like Smartworks which is a sequential method and stick with it. PM me if you need any specific info and good luck.
My wife says I don't pay enough attention to her...or something like that. I really wasn't listening.
Biguglygreenboat
hunter

Postby Wtlhntr » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:33 pm

Listen to the poster above me !!!! He has taught my hardhead and myself a lifetime of knowledge in just a few years :thumbsup:
Wtlhntr
hunter

Postby Hardhead » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:13 pm

Wtlhntr wrote:Listen to the poster above me !!!! He has taught my hardhead and myself a lifetime of knowledge in just a few years :thumbsup:

Hey, I resent that!!
Hardhead
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting