any reviews on black duck outfutters?

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

any reviews on black duck outfutters?

Postby paklein80 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:22 pm

Looking for a guided duck hunt in Maryland, any recommendations.

Tks
paklein80
hunter

Re: any reviews on black duck outfutters?

Postby Lefty26 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:39 pm

I have never heard a good word uttered about BDO. Last I heard they were going out of business. I know they are in trouble in Canada, not sure how the operation in MD is faring.
Lefty26
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:17 pm

x2
ohioboy
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:16 pm

theyre still in business. Seen them at tye harrisburg show trying to sell pa snow goose hunts lol but I have never heard a good thing about them
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby Jake Steppe » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:36 pm

BDO changed hands and has a new owner now thats what was going on. Jayson Wilt and I are real close and he always keeps me in the loop with BDO. I'd definately talk to him, I havent met someone who will bust their a** to make guys have a successful hunt. I dont know about puddle duck hunts because he's primarily sea ducks...

but sea duck/diver hunts-have been unbelievable. Jayson would call me everyday and rub it in how they were doing, this past year however its been ALL sea ducks and hardly any divers, they just didnt get here. not this year but the previous one jayson i think had his clients get on a total of 55 cans so when theyre here he is awesome with them.

and next year during my winter break i think ill be taking some parties for dark geese so I'll be glad to help out with you the more Dan and Jayson and I start to work things out during the off season.
Jake Steppe
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:37 am

Not a fan of BDO either. I didnt know they changed hands recently, but under the previous owner... definitely not a fan. The guys I hunt with are far from pro, and we hunt some of the same areas as black duck. That being said ive watched certain guys working for BDO tell clients to start sky busting out of frustration because we were decoying birds that were flying 50 yards over top of them and coming in nicely cupped up into our spread all morning. Not to mention they take paying clients out to public water like the upper potomac where nothing is patternable for more than 2 days. If im paying for a guide, I would expect to be out in a place that I couldnt go on my own, scouting to be done, have the guide bringing birds into the spread or at least trying to get them to decoy. I have heard "better" things about Wilt, I have met him in passing a few times and seems like a better person than the previous guy. If you do go with them, let us know how the hunt turns out. Im interested to see how things go since the ownership changed hands.
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby paklein80 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:00 pm

Who would you recommend in that area? Looking for more puddle ducks or field hunting! Not big on hunting in the middle of an ocean!

Tks
paklein80
hunter

Postby paklein80 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:01 pm

Who would you recommend in that area? Looking for more puddle ducks or field hunting! Not big on hunting in the middle of an ocean!

Tks
paklein80
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:13 pm

I hate to say it but MD isn't the state that it used to be for puddle ducks (I say that like im an old timer :biggrin: ). Snow geese and canadas I could throw you reccomendations. The concentrations of ducks around MD really arent what they are in other states. Im not saying someone couldnt get you on a puddler hunt of your life, ive experienced some pretty awesome puddler hunts in MD. In general, most guides in MD specialize in divers and sea ducks near the bay when it comes to ducks. Maybe someone else can reccomend someone for puddlers that I havent heard of. Best of luck to you
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby drewsmith » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:41 pm

The best spot to hunt puddle ducks in the state is going to be Tyler Johnson's Quaker Neck Club. I have heard literally hundreds of reviews from hunters.
drewsmith
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting