Training buddy

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderator: Cupped-n-Committed

Training buddy

Postby berettaswinger » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:55 am

Hey guys I have been looking all over the web for a reteiver club around my area. I live in harford co. and I just can't find one. Maybe I was typed in the words so if you guys know of any please little me know. If your interstead in teaming up and doing some training together pm me. My pup is only nine weeks now but I just wanted to get this out there to hopefully line someone up. I wouldn't mind doing a little traveling so if your in a near by county let me know. Its always good to get your pup around other pups doing good thing. Also having someone toss bumpers for you and then to them is nice to have. He is doing really well on all his puppy training. He is reteiving to my hand outside, sit, here, heal are going good and working on sit stay. This is my secound dog that I am training. I have a program that I am doing with this pup so your not going be training with a pup that is out of control but I still have a lot to learn.
berettaswinger
hunter

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: Training buddy

Postby Jake Steppe » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:38 pm

i got a friend on your side of the bridge in sparrows point. he just had puppies i think theyre 3 weeks old now and im pretty sure he's keeping one himself, im sure he could use a little help and company when the time comes if youre still up for it. ill let him know man and good luck.

jake
Jake Steppe
hunter

Postby berettaswinger » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:49 am

Ok thanks, let me know
berettaswinger
hunter

Postby Biguglygreenboat » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:43 pm

Where are you located in Harford County? At 9 weeks, the only thing you should be doing retrieving wise is throwing about 5 marks a day at very close range. You don't want to burn the pup out before you build up his desire. I'm in Bel Air and am more than willing to help in the evenings and weekends. We have a training group that meets at various times and locations but don't really advertise on the internet or have a website.
My wife says I don't pay enough attention to her...or something like that. I really wasn't listening.
Biguglygreenboat
hunter

Postby berettaswinger » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:01 pm

Yeah that’s what I have been doing with him. I was posting this in advance to find out if someone would be interested in the future to buddy up with me in some training sessions.
berettaswinger
hunter

Postby Bigvinnie » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:30 am

Hey Biguglygreenboat,

I just got a ...believe it or not... Labradoodle with lab grand national champ lines out of Canada. She has all the drive and instinct and looks of a lab. Very driven to retrieve. I live in Fallston and I am looking for someone to show me the training ropes. I am a big goose hunter and we have a great farm in Chestertown we hunt.

Bigvinnie
Bigvinnie
Newb

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:11 am

Bigvinnie wrote:Hey Biguglygreenboat,

I just got a ...believe it or not... Labradoodle with lab grand national champ lines out of Canada. She has all the drive and instinct and looks of a lab. Very driven to retrieve. I live in Fallston and I am looking for someone to show me the training ropes. I am a big goose hunter and we have a great farm in Chestertown we hunt.

Bigvinnie

vinnie...what is the name of the grand national champ, how far back, or do you have a pedigree for you dog?

be interesting to see it.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Bigvinnie » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:47 am

I can get it as needed. My only concern is being laughed at during training sessions( Labradoodles get a bad rep.) . I really don't worry about style points, I am looking for a great dog that will enjoy the fields as much as I do and I believe Maddy (pups name) will be the one.
Just looking for someone in the Harford county MD area to pick their brain and maybe share some tip. The last lab I had was a rescue from OK and a great hunter...rescue include all the training. We just lost her last year, heart breaking. I have enough land to work her on, and access to our farm on the Eastern Shore, if needed.
Thanks for your reply, new to this forum.

Vinnie
Bigvinnie
Newb

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:47 am

Bigvinnie wrote:I can get it as needed. My only concern is being laughed at during training sessions( Labradoodles get a bad rep.)

Well, you're in luck. I did not ask to make fun of you but when people use the terms: "grand national champ lines" it peaks interest into what that means and how far back. Also, where the breeding went to mixing breeds and to what kind of Poodle (pedigree wise).

Since the dog is not a "breed" the AKC clubs wouldn't take you in. HRC might with limitations. Not sure about NAHRA.

Good luck, still like to know who the grand national champ is (Registered name)? That I'd think you know since you mentioned it.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Bigvinnie » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:14 am

Thanks again for your comments. Looking for support in the Harford County area. I noticed you are in Ohio.
I appreciate your thought...enjoy the upcoming season(s)
Bigvinnie
Newb

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting