Hunting from kayak on non-tidal potomac

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Hunting from kayak on non-tidal potomac

Postby Jfk1700 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:03 am

Quick question. Did some research but have not been able to find a definitive answer as to whether or not it is legal to hunt from an anchored or "docked" (pushed up against cover or rocks in the middle of the river) kayak without a blind license. Any input? I have a brightly colored kayak and am considering making a blind for it. I know for other areas a license requirement only applies to boats with extra material added for concealment, as opposed to just painting. But for the non-tidal areas it seems like the DNR website infers that as long as I am 250 yards away from other licensed blind sites or hunters that I am OK. I am referring to areas like Violette's and Pennyfield.
Jfk1700
hunter

Re: Hunting from kayak on non-tidal potomac

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:39 am

Yes, the upper Potomac is a floating blind system. Pick you spot and do not hunt near others and try and stay away from hiking areas and houses on the VA, WVA side. You can even beach the kayak or boat as long as it is still on the wet river bottom.

Certain areas like Brunswick and parts of Montgomery county are off limits. Brunswick owns the bottom of the river and Montgomery has a no shooting ordinance on part of the river down there. You getting very close in Pennyfield where to no shooting zone is. Call over Echo lake and ask a ranger. If they give it to you let me know, I will call if they do not help. Let me know what they tell you.

You can anchor anywhere else on the bottom of the river. Some island are public, they small ones and a few big ones. Most big ones that make the map are private. There is no available list, just hunt smart. Throwing your anchor on The Canal or private land can get you fined, if they come check you. Many wardens would warn you unless you act like you are breaking other game laws.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Chesapeake Waterfowler » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:44 pm

Stupid question, but are you a Maryland Resident? You do have to be or at least be accompanied by a Maryland resident to hunt from an anchored boat or while standing on the natural bottomon the the upper Potomac.
Chesapeake Waterfowler
hunter

Postby Jfk1700 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:30 am

Chesapeake Waterfowler wrote:Stupid question, but are you a Maryland Resident? You do have to be or at least be accompanied by a Maryland resident to hunt from an anchored boat or while standing on the natural bottomon the the upper Potomac.

I am a MD resident. To my knowledge Violette's and Pennyfield are still above the no-shooting ordinance area...so it sounds like I may be good given I abide by restrictions referenced above.
Jfk1700
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting