ducks on the upper potomac

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

ducks on the upper potomac

Postby ohioboy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:48 pm

spent about a week paddling around the waters of the upper potomac and some of its trubutaries-wow, lots of ducks. tons of woodies, some mallards, a few lawn darts and one large flock of honkers. hope they stick around a little while longer.
ohioboy
hunter

Re: ducks on the upper potomac

Postby Grey Dog » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:39 pm

Only six weeks and counting! :grooving:
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby quackhead38 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:14 pm

i live rite on the chaptico bay that runs into the wicomico river n i only seen bout 2 honkers from my dock in the past few weeks
but hopefully i can locate some more before season
"we kill things we don't understand"
quackhead38
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:04 am

Just remember the only tributaries you can hunt is the Mono and the Cono. You can't hunt without private permission on any other creeks and you can't anchor in those two without permission. Battlefield areas of the Mono require casing the shotgun too, so be careful hunting on the tribs.

There are many of opportunities, just many require knocking. Be safe and give me a shout. I'll try and hunt with all of you at some point, if time allows.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby quackhead38 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:48 pm

im new to all this down here, i moved down from central pa where its pretty much just creeks and rivers all around n down here theres water everywhere... its a big change from there to here but i think itl better fowl huntin here than up there
"we kill things we don't understand"
quackhead38
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:02 pm

and more places for them to hide............ i miss that one lake down the road in ohio that always had birds.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:40 pm

spent several days on the potomac this week. mallards, geese were around in better numbers. grass is bad in spots and the "derecho" is making things intersting-trees and branches down or in the way. first snow should be a wrecking ball.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Jfk1700 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:16 pm

Hunted Sat/Today on the upper p-mac (first light to 10AM or so). Lots of teal and cormorants. Not too many geese to speak of. Saturday was busy. Heard a bunch of shots and saw a lot of sky busting.
Jfk1700
hunter

Postby RickC » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:41 am

Jfk1700 wrote:Hunted Sat/Today on the upper p-mac (first light to 10AM or so). Lots of teal and cormorants. Not too many geese to speak of. Saturday was busy. Heard a bunch of shots and saw a lot of sky busting.

I hunted Saturday and Monday, geese flew like clockwork at 7:00am, sounds like the guys in the nearby corn fields did well, no shots heard on the river.
RickC
hunter

Postby Jfk1700 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:30 am

RickC wrote:
Jfk1700 wrote:Hunted Sat/Today on the upper p-mac (first light to 10AM or so). Lots of teal and cormorants. Not too many geese to speak of. Saturday was busy. Heard a bunch of shots and saw a lot of sky busting.

I hunted Saturday and Monday, geese flew like clockwork at 7:00am, sounds like the guys in the nearby corn fields did well, no shots heard on the river.

I heard a bunch of shots while I was out on the river, but maybe they were just from the nearby corn fields. Did you hunt the river?
Jfk1700
hunter

Postby RickC » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:34 am

Jfk1700 wrote:
RickC wrote:

I heard a bunch of shots while I was out on the river, but maybe they were just from the nearby corn fields. Did you hunt the river?

I was hunting from my kayak below point of rocks, no luck with the geese, but fish were biting, caught a bunch of really nice smallies.
RickC
hunter

Postby Jfk1700 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:47 am

RickC wrote:
Jfk1700 wrote:
RickC wrote:

I was hunting from my kayak below point of rocks, no luck with the geese, but fish were biting, caught a bunch of really nice smallies.

Nice! Sent you a pm.
Jfk1700
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:35 pm

saw one flock of geese overhead in the stand today. saw some teal and woodies on the pond. almost there.....
ohioboy
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting