Squatters Day?

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

Squatters Day?

Postby akdiesel » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:20 pm

How did the blind site lottery go for everyone this year? Didn't do to hot, had one group of about 3 guys that hunt together have everyone they knew there to get spots for them. It was pretty crappy, I took a day off of work for this. If it wasn't for this group there would have been maybe 15 hunters there instead there were 50+.

Honkers- 7
BWT- 0.5
Doves- 42
akdiesel
hunter

Re: Squatters Day?

Postby Grey Dog » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:22 pm

Unfortunately no matter what system is instituted a few will try to "game" it to their (IMO unfair) advantage. This is not restricted to blind licensing either. Nothing much one can do except feel sorry for them.

GD
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby Harryjaxx » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:26 pm

Simple solution. If you want your two blind sites that's fine, but only one chair at the table. I counted one guy at the table w the map in his hand at least 7 to ten times today. Obviously it was his boat that everyone was hunting on. That's fine because there is no restrictions on that (yet). My proposal is that if a 13 yr old boy wants 2 blind sites , that's perfectly fine. However, he /she has to pick the sites him/herself. This goes for everyone who wants sites, kids, wives, friends, etc.. At least on the first day, give everyone a shot at a decent spot. It would go quicker and it would be fair. I counted 10 to 15 kids today that we're not there for a positive experience regarding duck/goose hunting. They were there for an extra shot at a low number for a relative or friend. I am all about kids and positive experiences but sitting around for 4 or more hrs doing nothing was just the opposite. This is just my opinion, but something needs to be done.
Harryjaxx
hunter

Postby akdiesel » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:15 pm

I understand I was just venting it was frustrating, every year just seems like it gets more frustrating. That is a good idea about 1 chair. I just don't understand what takes so long or what these people do in there. I was basically the only one there with my map book. I guess they just were going in pointing at spots and having the officers check them on their computer to see if they would be legal if not just kept pointing till they found one or two that were. I go in with my map book with spots marked that I would hunt. Spots that I have gone and scouted to make sure they were legal to hunt. I was in and out in less than 5 minutes. There was one spot left that I scouted, got it and was done. There may have been another for me to get but I feel its my responsiblity to do the work and have spots picked out that I want, not the officers job to tell me if I can hunt there or not. This is the first time I have seen them with computer to check spots out to make sure that dwellings or anything would be an issue. I even made a comment to someone that was waiting with me and he said I just point and point and point until the officer tells me its a legal spot. ***? So as number 15 I was there till 1245, are you serious? I was quite fired up by the time I left.

Honkers- 7
BWT- 0.5
Doves- 42
akdiesel
hunter

Postby Harryjaxx » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:00 pm

That's funny, in st Mary's there is no computer system..just a map, a pen and a green box.. It's your responsibility to scout and know the distances between dwellings and what not. I give the guys working a great deal of respect, that's a lot of bs to deal with in a few hrs. But if you like a spot and the box fits, there is no computer screen to check, it's buyer beware. It's all good in August, but when the blackheads move in and the boat ramp is packed in January, and you get to your "box" at 6am just to find out that this is the day that 4 other guys decided to hunt there spots too. You realize how close these regulations legally are. Oh well, I know I couldn't come up with regulations to please everyone, so I don't expect the state or federal rules to please everyone. Just as long as EVERYONE follows the same guidelines, we are in good shape. but......
Harryjaxx
hunter

Postby gr8white » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:52 pm

Wow....what a mess.
#1- The line was formed prior to 8 and numbers were being drawn on a head count of the 20-25 that were in line at that point. Id say about 15 picked from the bucket before another 10-15 head showed up ...and more #'s were added to bucket. Pretty crappy if you were the original 25 in line and new numbers are being dumped in making the odds even worse and actually unfair IMO.

#2- What happened to the 8minutes  allowed for selection being timed? Must have forgot the timer today. What should have been a 90 min wait was almost a 3hr one.

#3- Whats up with the dude from Delaware that pooled almost 50 people between two drawing locations? While he didn't do anything wrong, overhearing him say "I won't use all these sites anyway"  kinda ticked me a little. Don't hate the player, hate the game I guess.

#4- Myself and my bud wound up with #13 and 31...kinda weird.
Stayed for 13 and threw in the towel, still managed a decent spot so it was worth it.

#5- The green jeans were more than helpful and seemed to do everything possible to accommodate everyones blinds...kudos.

Akdiesel- what county were you at?
gr8white
hunter

Postby gr8white » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:37 pm

akdiesel wrote:How did the blind site lottery go for everyone this year? Didn't do to hot, had one group of about 3 guys that hunt together have everyone they knew there to get spots for them. It was pretty crappy, I took a day off of work for this. If it wasn't for this group there would have been maybe 15 hunters there instead there were 50+.

By what you just said, I think you were in Talbot. He supposedly had 30 "representatives" there. He had a good 10 at our location.
gr8white
hunter

Postby akdiesel » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:45 pm

Not Talbot my hunting partner went there and drew 282 and left. I am pretty sure I was with you at Caroline.

Honkers- 7
BWT- 0.5
Doves- 42
akdiesel
hunter

Squatters Day?

Postby gr8white » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:46 pm

Yup...that's where I was. This is only my second year going, but It was a mess compared to last year. I had my ADC book with spots pre-picked, and in order ready to go...pretty basic concept that got me in/out quick. So you were "event staff", "lawn chair guy", "5-0", or "I didnt want to run your legs over" guy? I was the shrek looking big dude with my pops. I don't know what spot you picked, but with what was left we could potentially be neighbors on shooting days. Shoot me a pm if you think we're gonna be calling at the same birds, I'm willing be somewhere else on those days.
gr8white
hunter

Postby akdiesel » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:57 pm

I was the lawn chair guy, you were in the truck next to me. i dont think we will be neighbors I had some secret spots that I got 1 of yesterday and the others I couldn't get because the county boarder was too close? I went to Centreville today and the guy running the show was pissed about the way it was run yesterday and told me I was 100% right and I could get those spots I wanted. One was gone from today and I got 2 others and my buddy got 2 in Talbot. The guy running it at the courthouse today seemed to be a HDIC and gave me a lot of good info on the blind sites about what was legal and not legal. Even discussed the issues I had last year with him and he knew all about it and said we were 100% legal. Could have gotten the spot again just decided not to mess with it so we got one out at the mouth where the geese hang out on blue bird days.

Honkers- 7
BWT- 0.5
Doves- 42
akdiesel
hunter

Squatters Day?

Postby gr8white » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:19 pm

Good deal man, glad you got some spots. I had a similar problem upstairs, but one of them sided with me and kind of "overruled" the other one I guess....so it worked out. I've got two more spots I'm going back to get...hopefully. Good luck this year
gr8white
hunter

Postby Bay Bob » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:01 pm

I had so much trouble with adjacent landowners last year, I did not bother this year.
Bay Bob
hunter

Postby BayDog1 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:09 pm

Didn't do very well this year. The guy in front of us got #2, the guy behind got #13. What did we get, #52. Needless to say we went home. Oh well, guess we will be doing the Public Land deal again. Regardless, it's still nice to get out in the marsh and sometimes we actually get to shoot at some birds!
BayDog1
Newb

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting