hunting on the wicomico

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

hunting on the wicomico

Postby quackhead38 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:24 pm

i was just wandering if anyone could tell me if there is any restrictions to me hunting on the wicomico river/chaptico bay?
i dont have a blind site but from what i understand im good as long as i stay more than 250 yds from a blind site... is that correct? and also i take it that its too late to get a blind site? because there is a few very close to my house
and i dont have my drivers licence either so i cant drive but i got a boat to travel by water with but it would be pretty cool if i could hunt in the chaptico bay/wicomico river cause its practically my back yard
id really appreciate if anyone could give me any info because i dont wanna go out there and get a fine
thanks
i need three things in a shotgun, boom boom boom - phil robertson
quackhead38
hunter

Re: hunting on the wicomico

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:03 am

I don't know that area, but You could contact MDWFA with Aaron Ward or Butch and see what they have to say. I am pretty sure all tidal waters need the blind license, but I don't stay up on that as I do not hunt them.

http://www.mdwfa.org/regions/region1.html
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Bay Bob » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:53 am

By Maryland law, in tidal water, you may only hunt at a registered blind site, with a couple exceptions.

In your area the exceptions would be the Potomac river 400yards offshore (IIRC) and perhaps off of some state property.

I'll point you to a map .
Bay Bob
hunter

Postby Bay Bob » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:15 am

There are two public blindsites on Allens Fresh, and that is all that comes to mind.

There are a lot of birds in that area at times, and the only place I have seen teal. If you are close certainly worth a shot during early teal season.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/Publiclands/pdfs/AllensFresh_CWMA.pdf

I would get a ride up to the DNR office at Hallowing Point (across the river from Benedict) and check the duck blind map.

The Wicomico is a big area and my guess is that there are still a spot or two to be had.

Be sure to take your hunting license and $20

Good Luck
Bay Bob
hunter

Postby quackhead38 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:03 am

Thanks for the info. I live bout 6 miles from allens fresh by water so it wouldnt be too bad to take the boat up through there
Il check it out
Thanks again
quackhead38
hunter

Postby gaggleman » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:59 am

I live in Chaptico and hunt those waters with friends. It's like Bob was saying pal. Your better off if you get a registered site. You can go to Benedict, to the DNR right there on the other side of the bridge and buy a blind site from them. Anyone that is not land locked and already occupied, you can get. Just need your hunting license and i would assume your drivers license as well. But not 100% sure.

Good luck this year

Sean
gaggleman
hunter

Postby quackhead38 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:34 pm

gaggleman wrote:I live in Chaptico and hunt those waters with friends. It's like Bob was saying pal. Your better off if you get a registered site. You can go to Benedict, to the DNR right there on the other side of the bridge and buy a blind site from them. Anyone that is not land locked and already occupied, you can get. Just need your hunting license and i would assume your drivers license as well. But not 100% sure.Good luck this year

Sean

that may be a problem i dont have a drivers licence... all i got is my drivers permit from pa and it expired a few months ago
but il call the dnr tomorrow n see if i need my driving licence to get a site
thanks for the reply by the way
quackhead38
hunter

Postby tcole220 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:46 pm

Anyone been out on the Wicomico yet this year? Curious to see what types of ducks are flying around. (Divers, Puddler or Geese)
tcole220
hunter

Postby tcole220 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:49 pm

Went to my blind site on the Wicomico and managed two geese! Saw lots of buffle heads in the area and one boat was anchored out in the middle blasting away on them. Lots of geese this year!!
tcole220
hunter

Postby quackhead38 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:49 am

tcole220 wrote:Anyone been out on the Wicomico yet this year? Curious to see what types of ducks are flying around. (Divers, Puddler or Geese)

I haven't been home for 2 weeks but when I left to come up to pa on thanksgiving morning at bout 6 am there was a good 30- 40 geese flyin over n 16 landed by my dock
quackhead38
hunter

Postby quackhead38 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:00 am

i put my boat in last night to go this morning but go figure my alarm dint go off so im gonna head out bout 1 to get set up for the evening but i dint see any buffies when i went out to my dock this morning
i saw around a hundred just sittin on the bay for the past 3 days but go figure they just dissapeared when i put my boat in the water :no:
quackhead38
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting