Teal hunting the Eastern Shore

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Teal hunting the Eastern Shore

Postby Itflysitdys » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:31 am

I have been cyber scouting and looking at the WMA's on the eastern shore the past few days. I am located over on the western shore but unfortunately we do not really have a good population of teal. I am not looking for spots but just some general information or a finger pointed in a certain direction. I am looking to head over to the eastern shore this coming week hopefully to do some teal hunting but i am unaware as to where i should go. I have been looking at fishing bay, deal island, blackwater refuge and fairmount. anyone have any information?

thanks
Tom
Itflysitdys
hunter

Re: Teal hunting the Eastern Shore

Postby mdfowlman » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:57 am

Go scout those spots if u want to find teal. Ppl put alot of time and fuel towards finding birds. No ones gonna give up any info they worked hard to get. Im leaving the western shore at 4 am tomorrow and scouting the weekend for monday morning hunt
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby Ilovesidebysides » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:52 pm

Previous post is correct. There is water and grass at the places you mentioned...so there might be ducks. Go find out!
Ilovesidebysides
hunter

Postby Itflysitdys » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:21 am

I am not trying to get peoples spots................i merely asked due to the fact that i live about 3 hours from there and have no where to stay without paying for a hotel to be able to scout. Believe me, if i had a place to stay then i would definately be out there scouting, it just way to far to be able to put a hunt together and scout, since teal can be there one day and gone the next. Good luck to you all this year

tom
Itflysitdys
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:28 pm

I stayed in a hotel all weekend scouting. I just made a weekend of it..it payed off though. i found good numbers of birds and shot my limit this morning
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:46 am

Nice work MDfowlman. Did you see mostly greens or blues? I dont ever get down to the teal zone, so I was just wondering if you saw more of one or the other migrating down through. I saw a pair of greens yesterday while I was dove hunting fly over the field. Im sure they will be gone by the time the October season rolls around but I might catch up with them in North Carolina in January :hammer:
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:01 am

Thanks. I seen around 200 or so bwt but not one gwt. The bwt are usually gone but the gwt are around in decent numbers through the second split if it doesnt get crazy cold.
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby islandgoose » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:22 pm

I hunted on the teal opener. I hunt close to Taylors Island on Blackwater Refuge . It was a cloudy day almost perfect for duck hunting . Just needed a little wind. I had high hopes but to my surprise I saw zero yes zero teal. From my blind I can see 1/4 mi.in almost every direction. I only saw 6 woodies.Only two times all morning did I here shotguns go off way in the distance in the marsh. Maybe after this rain a few birds might trickle in. Teal season can be so unpredictable . Two years ago I had my limit in 20 min. on the opener. And the birds stayed for days. Not this year it seems.
islandgoose
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting