Patuxent Reasearch Refuge

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Patuxent Reasearch Refuge

Postby honkerhater73 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:06 pm

Just wondering if anyone has ever hunted waterfowl at the Patuxent Reasearch Refuge before. If so any decent results, Im thinking about trying it out tomorrow.
honkerhater73
Newb

Re: Patuxent Reasearch Refuge

Postby MdMallard » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:48 am

Just wondering how you did if you went out last week. I've been out there 2 times this season and haven't even seen 1 goose. The last time I went the people at the check-in station said only 3 geese have been taken on the whole refuge which is over 9,000 acres.

I've hunted here off and on since the early 90's. The refuge is definitely overhunted. It is a first come first served area, but with good ole boys who think they own the place and people who don't respect it. If I were you I'd stay away and get either a licensed blind site or go down to public land in Southern Md or go over to the Eastern Shore. I have much better luck there than I do at Patuxent.

I've tried to put in suggestions for the waterfowling there and have either gotten shot down or been given the run around about why it's not a good idea.
MdMallard
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting