Looking forward to early duck split

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Postby PSUbuzz » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:17 am

Most of our group barely got out for the early goose season, just a few times for doves. I think i found more ducks than I did geese when I was out scouting. Im hearing from friends in the North that the woodies are in good populations. The teal are definitely already here so I feel like in 3 weeks time, we will probably see very few teal and mostly woodies and resident mallards. Is this consistant with what you guys are seeing so far? Not looking for any spots, although if you are in the mood to name specific spots or towns where you are seeing ducks, feel free! :yes:
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Re: Looking forward to early duck split

Postby mdfowlman » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:28 am

Seeing some woodies and ive heard about good numbers north of us.. I have a few newspots that get loaded with woodies and this yr i can finally hunt there. So hopefully the first split will treat us good. Pennsylvania has been dipping into the thirties at night so they should start moving down soon
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby gr8white » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:26 pm

Not seeing any migrating geese in my area yet...very few small ducks, but I've noticed larger groups of big ducks staring 3weeks ago. Generally speaking, the places I've been scouting either has a crap ton of birds or not a single one....no middle ground. A lot can change in a few weeks though...hopefully for the better.
gr8white
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:09 am

Ill be heading out this weekend on a "date" with my girlfriend. Figured I could throw on a back pack with lunch and have a hike/picnic date on some hot teal/woody territory through the woods with her and her dog. Kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak haha. Ive heard there was some good numbers in this area from my NRP friend that works the WMA. I might even be a sweet heart and pack an extra sandwich for the the gentlemen with the badges since I know they will be working the area. Who doesnt like a friend that brings you lunch to work :thumbsup: Or a girlfriend that thinks she is going on a romantic hike through the woods to a picnic that is unknowingly going scouting with you too :no:
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:30 am

Ha ha spoken like a true duck junkie. Im headed down the shore tomorrow to hunt over the rambler decoy. Hopefully i can get on em again limited opening day and last saturday i barely seen my limit. Hopefully those cpl cold days pushed some birds in
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:01 pm

pond on the farm that i am deer hunting is still holding teal. they just seem to be content sitting in the sun. the local ponds near my house in gaithersburg are starting to pick up some geese. thursday night they were flying in at 2am. i am in ohio for a wedding and its chilly, but no birds to speak of. none.

temps look cold in upper new york by next week, and then snow the week after maybe.....i keep dreaming about snow.....

ohio
ohioboy
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:19 pm

had about 300 migrators wake me up saturday morning by coming in and landing in the cornfield across the street from my mailbox and then spend the rest of the morning honking 40 yards from my open bedroom window. They taunt me.... Many other friends said they saw lots of high flyers in south central PA and western md. I spent the day out with my girlfriend scouting. saw good numbers of woodies and teal. Her dog even jumped a nice buck while we were out, no bow in my hand of course. She has a budding career as a waterfowl photographer though...

PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:40 pm

Nice pics. That drake looks tasty.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:19 am

if he hangs around my wall might be the one that eats him. He is a very pretty mature specimen with great color. We saw a lot of drakes hanging around while we were out. The fun part is, we were at that spot at like 2 in the afternoon. Preseason I saw way more birds there. Closer to the season I will be getting up and keeping an eye on this spot more often. At the moment I would say at o dark 30 opening morning I plan on being set up at that spot if nothing changes. Of course I wouldnt leave any trolls behind, I dont think Ive missed an opener with Lefty since Ive been home from college
PSUbuzz
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting