Upper Potomac

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Upper Potomac

Postby duckboatcrabber » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:32 am

Regarding the Upper Potomac, has anyone hunted above Dam 4 in the "Big Slackwater" area? I typically hunt with my boat on the Eastern Shore, however this year I moved to Sharpsburg Md. I was looking into hunting closer to home with my boat. Most information ive read seems to indicate portions of the Potomac below Dam 4 are not as easy to navigate with a boat such as mine. I have a 18 foot tracker grizzley with a 60 outboard. Big Slackwater is nice and deep but shoreline has housing here and there. Any info or suggestions is greatly appreciated. Hope everyone has a great season!
duckboatcrabber
Newb

Re: Upper Potomac

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:56 am

Dam 4 does not really hold the birds most of the times. Harder to get too place hold birds better. Just like everything else, harder to get to place, means less boats and more comfortable birds. :)
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Larry Hunter » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:40 pm

Question for those that hunt in this area, Is it legal to park on Interpromontory Road, Great Falls VA, walk through the woods until you get to the water (i.e., Maryland), walk to one of the islands and hunt there? If it isn't expressly prohibited by law, does anyone see any issues with doing so? Thanks in advance.
Larry Hunter
Newb

Postby ohioboy » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:44 pm

Islands can be private. You a md resident?
ohioboy
hunter

Postby countertop » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:26 pm

Isn't that a private road? And you have to cross either private property, or Northern Virginia Regional Park property. They prohibit hunting on their land. Its a gray area whether you can carry a shotgun across it (I'd say in Virginia they can't do much) but then you need a maryland resident to hunt the river (unless your illegally hunting in the park).
countertopchronicles.com
countertop
Newb

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:46 am

You can't cross private property anywhere, without permission. You can cross Canal property to get to the river. The problem is unless the park service has, or ever will change their rules, you can only exit with birds at designated crossing points, usually boat ramps.

So if you get lucky, you can't leave the way you came in. That pretty much leaves you with still needing to use the boat ramps.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Grey Dog » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:07 am

I thought it said something like you could only "cross at designated places" w/weapons unloaded and cased. Don't remember any difference with or without game. Learn something new every day. Thanks
GD
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:12 pm

Hit the river for quick hunt after school. Saw one duck during legal. Heard less than a dozen shots. Eagles kept me busy.

It was rainy, leaves were falling, should have been ducky. They must be recovering from Saturday.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Jfk1700 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:36 pm

ohioboy wrote:Hit the river for quick hunt after school. Saw one duck during legal. Heard less than a dozen shots. Eagles kept me busy.

It was rainy, leaves were falling, should have been ducky. They must be recovering from Saturday.

Was back in McKee. No birds to speak of.
Jfk1700
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:06 pm

Jfk1700 wrote:
ohioboy wrote:Hit the river for quick hunt after school. Saw one duck during legal. Heard less than a dozen shots. Eagles kept me busy.

Any water in there? Need a good rain to fill in the low spots and another to fill stuff up. I am hoping for early snow and then for lots later in January.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Jfk1700 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:20 am

ohioboy wrote:
Jfk1700 wrote:

Any water in there? Need a good rain to fill in the low spots and another to fill stuff up. I am hoping for early snow and then for lots later in January.

Haha. No water...I learned the hard way. Birds got crushed on opening day - woodies learn pretty fast. Hoping for the same thing though!
Jfk1700
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:42 pm

Friday morning I will be off work and will be holding a shotgun somewhere come sunrise. If you want company or want to tag along with me, let me know. I plan on a paddle hunt and waters that suit that type of boat.

Ohio
ohioboy
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:26 pm

Zero. That was how many birds I saw and shots I heard today on the river.

Geese are all over.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Jfk1700 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:08 am

ohioboy wrote:Zero. That was how many birds I saw and shots I heard today on the river.

Geese are all over.

Was raining pretty hard on my way to work when I crossed the Legion bridge. Not surprised there weren't many people out...but that's crazy you didn't even SEE any birds.
Jfk1700
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:55 am

Hunted again this morning and saw 2 woodies. No shots.

Highlight of the day was seeing a beaver. :lol3:
ohioboy
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:13 pm

Tonight I hit the Potomac and it paid off. One green head killed, saw 8 gadwalls and 2 cans. Yes, you read that right. Canvasbacks. I was so shocked that I never even touched my gun. Lets call it "can fever." 20 yards overhead. :no:

I took the layout blind and it did the trick. I was covered up about as good as i ever have been. Lots of spiders out there tonight.

Good luck tomorrow. Be careful of crap in the water. Last nights rain flooded smaller waters and they are dumping into the river. I am going camping with the wife tomorrow so shoot one for me, or miss one, more my style.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby BigTerp » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:05 pm

My buddy and I hunted a small island in the Washington County area of the Potomac on Saturday. Managed to bring home 1 wood duck and 1 gw teal. Only thing we got shots at. Saw a decent amount of birds (20+) but they were all high and fast headed in the same direction. Been trying to check out google earth to see where they were headed. TONS of geese flying the river all morning. Can't wait for Nov. 10th!!
BigTerp
hunter

Postby MdMallard » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:47 am

BigTerp,

You gotta watch out hunting on those islands in the Potomac. Although it may seem weird, most of those islands are privately owned within a public watershed. The only reason I know this is because a coworker at my old job owned a small one and complained about people hunting/camping on it all the time even though he posted signs on it.

Just an FYI. Good luck this season.
MdMallard
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:26 am

Ditto on the Islands most all bigger than 50' are owned.

Terp, I also hunt Washington county, give me a shout if you ever want to hunt the river.

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby BigTerp » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:06 am

Thanks for the heads up!! We've hunted quite a few of the islands along this stretch of the Potomac without issue. Never seen one posted, so far anyway. Never really thought about them being privately owned though. Will have to look into it further if we hit any new spots, just to be sure.

Cupped-n-Committed, thanks for the invite. I see your from Fairplay. I grew up in Hancock an live in Falling Waters now. Usually duck hunt the river up around Hancock.
Last edited by BigTerp on Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigTerp
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:55 pm

You can back your boat right up to a privately own island and anchor in the water. Tie off to a tree or throw the anchor on shore and they can fine you for trespassing. Now, will a warden show up, most time no, but now that you posted and they read these, they might make a pass through the river with the Jet boat one Saturday. :yes:

That is some skinny water up there in a lot of places. You better watch the prop if you're running one.

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby BigTerp » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:48 pm

Cupped-n-Committed wrote:You can back your boat right up to a privately own island and anchor in the water. Tie off to a tree or throw the anchor on shore and they can fine you for trespassing. Now, will a warden show up, most time no, but now that you posted and they read these, they might make a pass through the river with the Jet boat one Saturday. :yes:

That is some skinny water up there in a lot of places. You better watch the prop if you're running one.

HA!! Don't be trying to get me in trouble now. Seriously though, never thought about any island in the potomac to be privately owned. Most we hunt are in the middle of nowhere but I guess that doesn't mean they can't be private property.

Usually run a 14' canoe with trolling motor in the shallower parts of the river and hard to get to spots.
BigTerp
hunter

Postby gaggleman » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:19 am

Correct me if i'm wrong please. I have just been reading these posts and regardless if the land is privately owned or not, it would still have to be land locked in order for nobody to be able to hunt around/next to/ close to, etc.. If it isn't then you or anybody with the proper hunting license and stamps can hunt it, correct?

If you are talking about physically hunting on the land itself, than i apologize. I must have read it incorrectly.

-Sean
gaggleman
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:31 am

gaggleman wrote:Correct me if i'm wrong please. I have just been reading these posts and regardless if the land is privately owned or not, it would still have to be land locked in order for nobody to be able to hunt around/next to/ close to, etc.. If it isn't then you or anybody with the proper hunting license and stamps can hunt it, correct?

If you are talking about physically hunting on the land itself, than i apologize. I must have read it incorrectly.

-Sean

Unless there is a blind site, you can hunt from water.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:52 am

The group of islands youre referring to is known by park police as "Potomac Shores". Its a bunch of lawyers, they hunt, and they own the private islands and are very very particular about people trespassing on their land if they catch you. From what I have been told, the islands with blue/purple paint on the trees and rocks are private, and they own the bottom of the river on that stretch also. Not the water running through it, and thats how the tubers get through there all summer. But if you anchor up, tie off, or get out of your boat and wade or do anything but float, they can bust you. It is a really odd place to be privatized, I agree. It is a lot like the private island down on the river by McKees also, Its the middle of the river that is the potomac which is public. But they own the islands, and the one by McKees has a cabin on it, and I know at Potomac shores, there is houses on both sides just inside the woods owned by the lawyers that are their "cabins". How "occupied" they are is differing.

But I have heard they have park police on speed dial and if they catch anyone on their islands, they are buddy buddy with judges and prosecute trespassers hard. Thats what I have heard, and I just stay out of the area, not worth getting some lawyers panties in a bunch over a hunt and winding up getting tied up in court to fight with them. I know all of this because when I first got back to MD after college I tried to hunt that area and found all of this out the hard way by the way. Those clowns don't like guys that try to play dumb either :biggrin:
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Next

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting