early ducks in the swamp

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

early ducks in the swamp

Postby junior10 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:27 pm

does anyone know if you need a permit to hunt ducks in the seneca part of the swamp on river rd near hunting quarter ln in poolsville. i've hunted there for years for woodies and never had a problem but one of my friends told me you need a permit now. i will be making the long walk back into the swamp, just hope there's enough water to hold the ducks.
junior10
Newb

Re: early ducks in the swamp

Postby stark1728 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:44 am

I believe you are referring to McKee Beshers and not Seneca. Hunting Qtr Rd is in Mckee. There is no water in Seneca - which abuts Mckee to the east.

Unfortunately, Mckee is a free-for-all where no permit is required (other than hunting licenses/stamps required by the State/Feds) and there is no management of hunters or hunting. This leads to an oversupply of hunters in close quarters - which will be even worse this year as there is virtually no water at McKee other than in the main holding ponds on Hunting Qtr.

Best bet is the river. If you're a MD resident, you can hunt from the water (not on the bank). If you're not a MD resident, you have to have a MD resident with you - unless you are in a boat.

Good luck
stark1728
hunter

Postby junior10 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:11 pm

thanks for the info, i went down there last early season to find only a little bit of water. i did manage to take a drake mallard home with me though.
junior10
Newb

Postby PSUbuzz » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:21 am

I saw a pretty nice buck back in that swamp last weekend while scouting those swamps. I said that big boy knows how to stay alive because only a idiot would want to drag him the whole way back to the road
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Jfk1700 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:48 am

Ha. Saturday should be interesting! :grooving: There isn't much water out there.
Jfk1700
hunter

Postby stark1728 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:42 am

Yeah. I've heard most holes are bone dry and no ducks to be found anywhere. Looks like the river is the place to be.
stark1728
hunter

Postby countertop » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:28 pm

If you're a MD resident, you can hunt from the water (not on the bank). If you're not a MD resident, you have to have a MD resident with you - unless you are in a boat.

You need a maryland resident if your in a boat too.
countertopchronicles.com
countertop
Newb

Postby stark1728 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:19 am

d'oh - sorry - you're right - forgot about that nuance
stark1728
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting