Wood Ducks

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Wood Ducks

Postby agkoh » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:38 pm

Hey Guys,

So I hunt deer a lot on this one property in southern MD, and for the past few years there have always been woodies there this time of the year. I saw them this past week, but scared them (the flew off) last Friday. What are the chances they'll stick around in the same area if they get scared off? (ignoring all other factors like weather and stuff).
agkoh
hunter

Re: Wood Ducks

Postby Bay Bob » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:56 pm

agkoh wrote:Hey Guys,

So I hunt deer a lot on this one property in southern MD, and for the past few years there have always been woodies there this time of the year. I saw them this past week, but scared them (the flew off) last Friday. What are the chances they'll stick around in the same area if they get scared off? (ignoring all other factors like weather and stuff).

Odds are they will be back at first light !

My St Marys flock roosts in trees and fly down to the water in the very early morning.

Of course they drained the lake I usually hunt so they have probably moved to your spot :biggrin:
Bay Bob
hunter

Postby islandgoose » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:33 pm

ditto to bay bob's answer
islandgoose
hunter

Postby agkoh » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:58 am

Cool. Ill give it a whirl then!
agkoh
hunter

Postby Bay Bob » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:43 am

agkoh wrote:Cool. Ill give it a whirl then!

You need to slip into the area before first light.

An old Arkansas trick is to stand against a tree in shallow water and make waves with your feet.

The motion on the water really attracts the birds since it resembles duck feeding.

But when it comes to Woodies, you are done at 9:00, but try again in the evening .

I have killed quite a few woodies in the evening, including one with a band from Vermont .
Bay Bob
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting