Whats going to happen?

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Whats going to happen?

Postby mdfowlman » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:51 pm

So i spend two days scouting the week and have seen pretty good numbers of geese and ducks(mostly woodies)
what is hurricane Sandy going to do to the migration.
the storm is moving north but had 4 days of north winds. should it push birds down or push them out
mdfowlman
hunter

Re: Whats going to happen?

Postby highbrass » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:49 am

hoping it will bring them back up north :hammer: :hammer:
TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING OR THEY WILL BE HUNTING FOR DRUGS.....
highbrass
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:33 am

the buzz theory- all the birds that are riding the cold front from Canada will be getting close to their NJ and Chesapeake and Delaware wintering grounds. Then once they are right about central NY, central PA, and Central MD, they will realize that the winds are too harsh from Sandy to continue flying and will set the landing gear down in the central part of the states. Meanwhile, streams and rivers will flood, cut bean and corn fields will flood offering lots of feeding spots for these migrating birds to set up shop wherever they may ride the storm out. Possibly with all of these conditions, we might see more birds in the central portions of the state, than what we normally see. Im personally hoping that some of the "odd ball" ducks that we dont get to see much of in the western area show up and stay a while. All in all, just a theory though, scouting later this week will tell. Hope you guys stay safe out closer to the shore
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:53 am

I'm with buzz. Figure the birds will make like most people and cower in place til Sandy's done. After that, rivers will be angry, ponds will be replenished and flooded timber will be just that. Might make for some interesting hunting for the second opener. :thumbsup:

GD
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby akdiesel » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:19 am

Don't know how it effected the ducks but went outside this morning and saw 7-10 huge flocks of geese flying over the house getting ready to land in the cut corn field behind my house.

Honkers- 7
BWT- 0.5
Doves- 42
akdiesel
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:59 pm

I flew south, but had some trouble getting back. Aruba was nice, but not many ducks there. It was a lot warmer than a blind though.
Attachments
image.jpg
ohioboy
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:35 am

I got out with some of the boys yesterday in PA for geese. Seemed like the birds were moving well all afternoon. Saw a few flocks of migrating geese. We were in corn and the other side of the field was flooded. One of our trucks was parked 15 yards from a big flooded patch of the cut corn. That didnt deter about 100 bwt and a pair of shovelers from landing right next to the truck. Side note, Lefty scratched another band out. Someone bug him to see if it was local or if it was a migrator. It was a big bird. That might answer some of the migrating questions. If indeed that was banded a little farther east than what we normally shoot for bands. And seeing shovelers in corn fields in the central area of the state too...
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:53 am

I seen atleast 500 geese at one time yesterday flying in small flocks they were coming from all directions. They seemed lost lol flying back and forth
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:34 pm

Geese and ducks all over on ponds and catch ponds where I am.

After giving out about 800 pieces of candy, yup 800, you are reading that right, I realized that in the fury of sugar and scary costumes that at least 3 groups of geese came into the pond down the road. I also realized that fall is here. My face is rosy red.

I can't wait to see the river. Each flood is like Christmas to me.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:44 am

came home last night to 10 shovelers sitting with about 75 geese on the pond in front of my house. the other 200 geese on the pond on the other side of my property were still sitting there so i think these other geese are new. The shovelers are definitely new because the only ducks that had been loafing with the geese were mallards and 1 ruddy duck. Hopefully they stick around a little longer and more ducks keep showing up. Im going to try to get my gf's camera after work and go scouting. Maybe get some nice pics of some ducks.
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:33 am

Saw lots of geese today. They were flying from daylight until I quit hunting today. Singles, family groups, you name it. One huge group was circling for 20 minutes. 2 ducks seen.

Scouting today after deer hunting turned up some gadwalls, coots and a merganser. Some areas are full up, but I was shocked to see that some are still not.

I would say that sandy pushed birds down for sure. Saturday should be interesting once people start shooting and birds keep moving around.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Lefty26 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:40 am

PSUbuzz wrote:I got out with some of the boys yesterday in PA for geese. Seemed like the birds were moving well all afternoon. Saw a few flocks of migrating geese. We were in corn and the other side of the field was flooded. One of our trucks was parked 15 yards from a big flooded patch of the cut corn. That didnt deter about 100 bwt and a pair of shovelers from landing right next to the truck. Side note, Lefty scratched another band out. Someone bug him to see if it was local or if it was a migrator. It was a big bird. That might answer some of the migrating questions. If indeed that was banded a little farther east than what we normally shoot for bands. And seeing shovelers in corn fields in the central area of the state too...

It was a local bird, banded right up the street. I saw a few high flyer flocks of geese rolling in to the area last night. The middle/late splits should be good this year.
Lefty26
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:57 am

Lots of geese again today. Most flying towards river, but I assume to fields.

Did see 3 ring necks in the local ponds, first of the year for me. I always think that divers showing up really means its going to get good.

I agree that this year should be good. Weather up north this week should help to push ducks here just in time for Saturday.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:47 am

I spy pintail and gadwall. More variety showing up. Good year indeed.... now we just have to not jinx ourselves
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby assateague » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:58 am

I'm disappointed that Assateague is closed to hunting until further notice. Irritates me.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby Bill Herian » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:37 pm

assateague wrote:I'm disappointed that Assateague is closed to hunting until further notice. Irritates me.

Sandy?
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:41 pm

I was talking to a guy on tuesday that works at assateague. He said they faired the storm pretty well. Ive never hunted it but its a shame for the guys who do. Looking for new spots with opening day being tomorrow
mdfowlman
hunter

Whats going to happen?

Postby assateague » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:18 pm

Well, some of its open, but all the blinds are toast. Looks like I'm buying a layout or finding a new spot.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting