Clyde Watson boat ramp access

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

Clyde Watson boat ramp access

Postby bpo » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:42 pm

Hi Folks - I'm looking for a place to launch my canoe on the PAX in the wee morning hours and wondered if anyone knows if the Clyde Watson ramp (MaGruders Landing) is accessible/free. The website says it opens at 8:00 which is far too late. I welcome any advice on this location or others you may know about.

Many Thanks,
BPO
bpo
hunter

Re: Clyde Watson boat ramp access

Postby fowllife250 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:33 pm

Yes the ramp is open 24/7.
fowllife250
hunter

Postby Skip72 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:00 pm

The signage and regulations say daylight hours, but I have never seen it enforced, nor the gate locked. A few years back I called about that in ref to hunters who launch before sunrise, or get back after sunset and was told that was OK. I would probably not park there overnight. They do "require" a permit which can be obtained at the Jug bay facility- you can get daily or seasonal, but you have to get it ahead of time because the office doesn't open very early. I have in the past parked my truck and trailer at the ramp without a permit and never had a problem, and have seen many others too. But for the last couple years I just get a seasonal permit and then I don't worry about it. It's not expensive- Like $12
Skip72
hunter

Postby fowllife250 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:17 pm

If you have your permit to reserve duck blinds then thats all you need to put in the window
fowllife250
hunter

Postby Skip72 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:51 pm

Fowllife,
Are you sure they accept the Southern Maryland Parking permit? Last year, or maybe the year before (memory dims with age) I was making the same assumption, but checked on it with the park HQ. I was told that because facilities are part of Patuxtent River Park which is under PG county, not DNR, so that the special use permits were required- at least for vehicles towing trailers. ie- the SMD hunting parking permit was basically irrelevant (my words). That being said, It is always possible I was given bad info. As I said before, I was never cited, nor did I ever see anyone else cited, even though about 1/2 the vehicles displayed either the SMD permit only, or no permit at all, but the $12 for a season permit good for three vehicles is worth my peace of mind . Also,even thought they say say parking is limited, I have never seen the parking area even close to being full.
This is the park HQ number: 301-627-6074

From the PG county Dept of Parks and Recreation website:

Boat Ramps

Three public boat ramps are located on the Patuxent River in Prince George's County. Restrictions apply and parking is limited.
A special use permit is required for all vehicles towing trailers.
Permits are available on an annual or daily basis.
Permits can be purchased at the Visitors Center (Jug Bay Natural Area). Call 301-627-6074.
Parking is on a first-come, first-served basis. Once lots are filled, access will be denied until space becomes available.
No overnight use permitted.
Fuel facilities not available.
Personal watercraft (PWC) are only permitted to launch at Clyde Watson Boating Area (CWBA)
Skip72
hunter

Postby Skip72 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:28 pm

I just called and confirmed that you are supposed to have the special use pass (either daily or seasonal (12.50/6.50 for seniors over 60) for those three areas IF you have a trailer. If no trailer, no need for a pass.
The girl i talked to said that it was pretty strictly enforced in the summer when the area is busy, but maybe not so much in the winter. She also said there was a lady who locked the gate at night and unlocked it in the morning, BUT I have never seen it locked during hunting season.

This is just what I have been told...
Skip72
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting