Where are the birds?

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

Re: Where are the birds?

Postby ohioboy » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:06 pm

Scouted yesterday MoCo, HoCo, PG, AA ang QA county. Not much around. Saw one small raft of bills by the bay bridge on the QA side. Few puddle ducks, few geese. Not what I expected to see.

Today Saw 300+ geese in fields that have not had them yet this year. Only in MoCo today.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Jfk1700 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:18 am

Anyone headed out tomorrow? Looks pretty nasty.
Jfk1700
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:08 am

Normally, I would but I pulled the mids from 12/21 to 12/30. (This morning and next included.) :no: Next chance I have is New Year's Day, I think. That could change too. :fingerhead:
Good Luck if you get out.
GD
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:19 pm

I am. Headed out somewhere in moco or on the potomac but willing to go with someone if they got a spot. Paddling in the wind could be interesting for sure.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby zeeman » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:33 pm

Find about 400 gadwalls with few wigeon hoodies and pair of swans.Will try to get them tomorrow
Attachments
IMAG0061.jpg
zeeman
hunter

Postby mollyjmu » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:01 pm

ohioboy wrote:I am. Headed out somewhere in moco or on the potomac but willing to go with someone if they got a spot. Paddling in the wind could be interesting for sure.

I'll be in that area tomorrow morning too for woodies and mallards. Good luck and Merry Christmas.
mollyjmu
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:41 pm

Hunted potomac today. Scratched a buffie that decoyed nicely. One blueBill worked but I was in the decoys of course. Heard a big group of divers in the snow but did not see them.

Missed a pair of mallards. Saw a few othe big ducks.

Geese mostly stayed hidden in the snow. One group sailed over but I passed on the shot. Should have taken it.

It was thick on the river at times today. It actually felt like a waterfowl day. I had to smile and just soak it in ( and now my coat is in the dryer since it soaked up plenty too). Headed back as soon as my gear is sort of dry.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Jfk1700 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:07 am

ohioboy wrote:Hunted potomac today. Scratched a buffie that decoyed nicely. One blueBill worked but I was in the decoys of course. Heard a big group of divers in the snow but did not see them.

Missed a pair of mallards. Saw a few othe big ducks.

Geese mostly stayed hidden in the snow. One group sailed over but I passed on the shot. Should have taken it.

It was thick on the river at times today. It actually felt like a waterfowl day. I had to smile and just soak it in ( and now my coat is in the dryer since it soaked up plenty too). Headed back as soon as my gear is sort of dry.

Went out in the snow on Tuesday. Had a similar hunt. Got a few buffies...birds didn't like my spread for whatever reason.
Jfk1700
hunter

Postby BigTerp » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:52 am

We got about 4-5" of snow topped with an inch of sleet/ice yesterday. I'm planning on hitting the Potomac on Saturday. I've been noticing most of the local ponds are locked up with ice. Hopefully that means good things for the river!!
BigTerp
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:39 am

I was thinking the same thing Terp. I'll have to wait till Tuesday to hit the river. These graveyard shifts are starting to seriously impact my waterfowling. Good luck.

Happy New Year All! :beer:

GD
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby BigTerp » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:53 am

Calling for another 2-4" of snow in my neck of the woods tomorrow. Buddy and I plowed the gravel road down to my subdivisions river access last night. Hopefully I don't get stuck getting back out tomorrow. But if I do, I'm sure it will be worth it!!
BigTerp
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:08 am

Were heading back home from Florida today. Im liking all the reports of birds moving in. Some buddies had a nice goose and mallard hunt yesterday and shot a band from Canada. Birds are coming fellas. Side note I finally scratched out my first banded duck while I was down here in Florida. Ringneck hen banded earlier this year in Minnesota. These birds sure can put the miles on!
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Jfk1700 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:16 am

PSUbuzz wrote:Were heading back home from Florida today. Im liking all the reports of birds moving in. Some buddies had a nice goose and mallard hunt yesterday and shot a band from Canada. Birds are coming fellas. Side note I finally scratched out my first banded duck while I was down here in Florida. Ringneck hen banded earlier this year in Minnesota. These birds sure can put the miles on!

Tomorrow morning should be interesting!
Jfk1700
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:57 am

Not much at Riley's this morning. Geese moving some but I would say residents. Some mallards and other assorted ducks, but again I would not say new birds.

Very little shooting.

If you are running the river tomorrow be careful, lots of wood floating.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:26 am

Saw a few mallards and divers. The wife and I was able to shoot two mergansers and one green head. The water is very high. I suggest having at least 6ft decoy strings. An Island I like to hunt by usually sits able 8foot out the water. Only 3-4 foot of it was showing. I run a 2hp on my canoe and its was struggling. Kayak will probably have some work ahead of them. Be careful
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby Md Hunter » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:07 pm

I'd echo what Cajun said..be careful.

The river is over 4 ft on the little falls gauge. NOAA used to use that as the demarcation for small craft advisory.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2
Md Hunter
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:16 pm

Nuttin. Potomac river. Saw some, no shots
ohioboy
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:56 pm

Hunted Dorchester today shot eight bluebills two buffies and a canvasback
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby RickC » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:58 am

Good morning to be out yesterday even with the heavy snow.I found where all the black ducks were hanging out, unfortunately thats all I saw and had my limit of 1 early. When I breasted it out, I found that it had rice breast disease (sarcocystis), disposed of the whole bird. Just as I had pulled in all of the decoys and had the kayak all packed up, had a huge flock of geese flying low, probably could have had a shot at a few if I had just waited a few more minutes.
RickC
hunter

Postby hiker8 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:21 am

Hunted upper Potomac several times, plenty of geese out there, no ducks. Saw two woodies and four common mergansers 12/29
several flocks of geese. Heard several shots at sunset. Maybe I'll float the Monocacy tomorrow, at least get a canoe float out of it.
hiker8
Newb

Postby BigTerp » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:01 am

Hunted the upper Potomac Saturday during the snow storm. Managed one goose, should have been 3 if we could shoot. Saw plenty of gesse, I would guess about 60, but none were interested. Saw close to 20 ducks and had 2 working the spread pretty good, but they all of a sudden decided to go elsewhere. Also saw one lone snow goose. Definitely feels like the migration is finally getting going. Saw a large group of canadians flying high and southeast on my way to work thins morning. Looking forward to the cold weather this week.
BigTerp
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:14 pm

Got out yesterday for a mid day hunt on the potomac. Shot 2 mallards and missed 5 mergs. Had 4 bluebills buzzing the decoys but not committing at all. Saw just a few geese. Saw just a few other random ducks way off. Big push is not here yet.

River had ice on the edges, barely there, but there. That is good news. Local ponds have ice on them and are loaded with divers.
Attachments
image.jpg
ohioboy
hunter

Postby zeeman » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:20 pm

Good job Ohio boy finally somebody get some actions.nice pic.
zeeman
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:09 pm

Heading out in the morning. Went out Friday...Wife shot her first duck and now she is hooked! I'll keep y'all posted on what I see tomorrow.
Attachments
Rebecca Ducks.JPG
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby Skeet123 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:30 pm

Glad to see that you are finding some birds. I hope to get out in two weeks.
Skeet123
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting