Where are the birds?

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Re: Where are the birds?

Postby Md Hunter » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:32 pm

Great work ohioboy! My son and I went out on Monday and got to watch the search and rescue helicopter (and later zodiacs) run up and down the river at sunrise for a good hour as they apparently helped some hunters who didn't tie up their boat and it floated downstream. We were actually sort of hoping the activity would keep the birds moving - didn't seem like there were many birds to move though!

Cajun - I like the way you brushed the canoe. I did mine but it didn't turn out as nice. I'll have to give it another try.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2
Md Hunter
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:39 pm

Thanks MD Hunter. If you got any questions on how I did it. Shoot me a PM. I can fill you in on how I need to improve mine. Here is a better look
Attachments
Duck boat.JPG
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:23 pm

Cajun, see you lost an iPhone? That really sucks.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:54 am

Getting some birds in from Canada. 19 geese, a pintail, and 3 mallards in the RP zone on Monday. 8 bands very closely numbered all out of one flock. Called 1 in and it was from Ontario banded this year too young to fly. Hunted yesterday afternoon and saw a lot of mallards and high flying geese, no shots taken and the geese didnt put look like they were interested in putting the landing gear down anytime soon.

By the way fellas, if you look at the views for this thread, you might notice that it has been viewed just over 2302 times at the time of this post but most other threads only have 1-200. There are a lot of internet scouters out there watching this thread that don't do squat for scouting so keep the locations vague. Theres birds moving in, and thats all anyone needs to know from their desk. Enjoy your hard work scouting without yahoos competing with you. That is all :thumbsup:
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:39 pm

ohioboy wrote:Cajun, see you lost an iPhone? That really sucks.

Yea...So much for the Lifeproof case lol.

PSU I try not to give up my location on here. Did not see a sole this AM. I did not here any shots either.

I went out this am...very few birds. Less than I was expecting, but did have to cut the hunt short when I realized my toes were wet. Saw maybe 5-6 Mallards, couple geese, one flock of divers.
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:50 pm

Cajun1085 wrote:
ohioboy wrote:Cajun, see you lost an iPhone? That really sucks.

Yea...So much for the Lifeproof case lol.

PSU I try not to give up my location on here. Did not see a sole this AM. I did not here any shots either.

I went out this am...very few birds. Less than I was expecting, but did have to cut the hunt short when I realized my toes were wet. Saw maybe 5-6 Mallards, couple geese, one flock of divers.

Not bashing on anyone in particular. Just noticed the ridiculous view count for this thread and thought to myself, wow this thread title sure does advertise itself to the bums out there. THAT MEANS YOU INTERNET SCOUTER READING THESE WORDS :hi:
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby BigTerp » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:02 pm

PSUbuzz wrote:Not bashing on anyone in particular. Just noticed the ridiculous view count for this thread and thought to myself, wow this thread title sure does advertise itself to the bums out there. THAT MEANS YOU INTERNET SCOUTER READING THESE WORDS :hi:

:lol:

I'll be heading out this Friday and Saturday. Going to try and sit until early afternoon on Friday. Saw a decent size group of geese and a smaller (6-10) group of ducks heading for a pond yesterday around noon. Hopefully this cold weather helps bring in some more birds for the weekend!!
BigTerp
hunter

Postby Ilovesidebysides » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:55 pm

PSU is correct. I noticed the same thing....lots of looks but not so many replies.
I was hunting on New Years Eve and saw tons of geese, and some ducks. Even saw some mergansers...was no where near the bay.
Driving around yesterday and today I saw a bunch of birds. All were flying sky high. I think they might be on the move. This coming week might be what we're waiting for.
Ilovesidebysides
hunter

Postby agkoh » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:53 pm

I Was out New years eve morning with my dad and brother. Brother got a merganser. Should have shot another 4 if we were actually paying attention to ducks 2 feet off the water verse geese and ducks in the air. Also had a few buffleheads zip bye just out of range.
Doe-1
Dove-23
Woodies-2
Mallards-2
Buffleheads-2
agkoh
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:57 pm

But are you seeing crowds? I am not. Sorry buzz, we have disagreed about this before. I have seen almost no one where I hunt-public, well published, nothing secret. Saturday there was no one there at all. Not one person.

If they get excited over my posting of a pair of mallards, sorry to everyone and I hope I do not ruin your secret spot. People like to talk duck and see others have success.

Cajun, wet feet from waders or leaky boat? You are not having a good gear year regardless. :wink:

I won't be back out till next week, go get em. :sniper:

Ohio
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:45 pm

I gave up on the migrants, for now, and went to jump shoot a farm pond I recently got permission to "hunt". I really should say harvest. Fifty to 60 geese hang out there and it's more about getting a safe shot. Nearby houses are all owned by the same family but it is a bit tight. Took two today as they came in from their morning feed. That's a limit in the AP zone.
Making up some venison based spaghetti sauce for tonight. mmmmm As Descartes might have said, "I hunt therefore I eat." :biggrin:

GD
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby fowllife250 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:07 pm

PSUbuzz wrote:
Cajun1085 wrote:
ohioboy wrote:Not bashing on anyone in particular. Just noticed the ridiculous view count for this thread and thought to myself, wow this thread title sure does advertise itself to the bums out there. THAT MEANS YOU INTERNET SCOUTER READING THESE WORDS :hi:

I think its quite funny how people get all secretive about there hunting spots. 95% of all the birds I shoot are on public lands or spots that anyone can hunt. i.e the bay. In all, its about hunting where the birds want to be, hunting the wind right and reading how the birds are flying. :grooving: :clapping: :hi: :beer: :beer:
fowllife250
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:48 pm

ohioboy wrote:But are you seeing crowds? I am not. Sorry buzz, we have disagreed about this before. I have seen almost no one where I hunt-public, well published, nothing secret. Saturday there was no one there at all. Not one person.

If they get excited over my posting of a pair of mallards, sorry to everyone and I hope I do not ruin your secret spot. People like to talk duck and see others have success.

Cajun, wet feet from waders or leaky boat? You are not having a good gear year regardless. :wink:

I won't be back out till next week, go get em. :sniper:

Ohio

I agree with you. I havent seen a person in the last three hunts. We hunt not far from each other either. You seen my pictures. My kills list came all the same spot except for the sea ducks. A pair of mallards are a real treat and you should proudly post them bad boys.

I wont be able to get back out until Monday. New waders will be in tomorrow!!

Ill shoot you a PM Ohio
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:56 pm

Grey Dog wrote:I gave up on the migrants, for now, and went to jump shoot a farm pond I recently got permission to "hunt". I really should say harvest. Fifty to 60 geese hang out there and it's more about getting a safe shot. Nearby houses are all owned by the same family but it is a bit tight. Took two today as they came in from their morning feed. That's a limit in the AP zone.
Making up some venison based spaghetti sauce for tonight. mmmmm As Descartes might have said, "I hunt therefore I eat." :biggrin:

GD

GD that sounds like some fun! Can't ever complain about a limit! My only limit this year was Black duck limit LOL. Deer Spaghetti is one of my favorite. I process my own deer and make an italian sausage. one pound of deer ground meet, one pound of deer italian. It makes a mean Spaghetti!!

Enjoy!!!
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:36 am

Getting icy out there. Ive had about 3 doz mallards and some geese hitting one of my spots. Ive been trying to be patient and let more geese come for a fun combo hunt but im getting antsy and think ill hunt it this Saturday whether more come or not. Probably run a ice eater tomorrow evening and play ball. I have been seeing tons of high flyers coming from the north, they just dont look like theyve decided to stick around long enough to be patterned. In other news, all this talk about deer food, im making some venison sausage gravy to take down to North Carolina on Sunday. Figured it would be a tasty blind breakfast over some biscuits warmed on a coleman stove...mmmmm gravvvvyyyy
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:28 am

Cajun wrote:
"I agree with you. I havent seen a person in the last three hunts. "

Maybe that's because they're all on here waiting for the reports on DHC to get good enough for them to bother to go out. :no:

I have to make a choice between duck, goose, and VA deer. Decisions, decisions. :thumbsup:
I plan to try the river again before it's over. BTW: Always looking for others to go with.

HNY and Good Luck!
GD

Grey Dog
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:01 am

This weekend is the January gun weekend for deer in MD isnt it? Maybe the pressure will be light out there because of it on Saturday. Itll be interesting. I looked at the hourly forecast for my area, Itll be a chilly 24 degrees at LST on Saturday morning.
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Ilovesidebysides » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:13 pm

Yes it is. I hav'nt killed a deer yet this year so I'll be in a tree Saturday morning. It seems that the water fowling will be good though. Good stretch of cold, and lots of birds have been flying around lately. Good luck to those in a swamp or a tree!
Ilovesidebysides
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:56 pm

I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. Going to sit out on the river and watch the sun come up. Got to use that camo boat for something besides taking up garage space. Good thing I've got some hand warmers.
Great weekend! Saturday hunting, Sunday football. :grooving:
Good luck to all!:beer:
GD

Grey Dog
hunter

Postby hiker8 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:32 pm

too bad it isn't Saturday hunting and Sunday hunting like they do in other states, when I was in Wyoming this year, those cowboys uttered "discrimination". That would work for me, any attorneys out there?
hiker8
Newb

Postby quackhead38 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:45 pm

was out in the chaptico bay along the wicomico river today and all morning there were geese everywhere but they were high flyers, and in the evening there were buffies scattered all over prolly seen 150-200 and managed to get 1 ruddy that was with the buffies
im happy with that it was my first ruddy anyway
"we kill things we don't understand"
quackhead38
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:51 pm

I going to get out Monday on the Potomac...Hopefully I get to take a few shots...If not...It sure beats works! Congrats on the RUDDY!
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:35 am

deer hunted in western moco saturday night and heard no geese until after dark. was very surprising considering that i have heard geese at all times the last week.

looks like a warm up is coming, which means ice will be disappearing off of the ponds and lakes. just when you thought it was going to be getting better...... :fingerhead:
ohioboy
hunter

Postby dc73nova » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:10 pm

quackhead38 wrote:was out in the chaptico bay along the wicomico river today and all morning there were geese everywhere but they were high flyers, and in the evening there were buffies scattered all over prolly seen 150-200 and managed to get 1 ruddy that was with the buffies
im happy with that it was my first ruddy anyway

Quakhead,

Was that you hunting on the left side going into chaptico bay Saturday afternoon? I was running a bunch of ducks to somebody when I went around the point. Ruddies are there in full force.
dc73nova
hunter

Postby Ruination » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:27 pm

Was in Eastern Bay KI on Saturday. for as bright and sunny it was there sure were a ton of ducks around. Managed to shoot 4 buffles, 2 black heads, a golden eye, and a goose. We had some good flocks of black heads check us out multiple times, unfortunately sunny day and an unbrushed blind did not quite convert. Good luck and good hunting out there, seams after last week birds are really coming down.
Ruination
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting